Clemson Post-game Thread

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Clemson is definitely on another level from most football teams. But for those acting like this year they are even better to justify this loss need a history lesson. The 2018 team was definitely better than the 2020 version of Clemson. What they did to Alabama in the National Championship game (44-16) was a beautiful thing to watch.

You can't justify that cluster eff we did yesterday by saying "Oh but look how good they are"

I do wish Collins had kept Woody. I liked his defensive philosophy. I wanted to give him a few years to see how that could work out. But now we don't have any philosophy on either side of the ball.
I believe Clemson could've done this to us every year the past 3 years. It felt like Dabo was sending a message to somebody and not letting up outside of letting Lawrence rest. They probably couldn't kicked our *** worse if they let him stay in.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
There’s a lot out there about Dabo and playing in the ACC. Like this:

“Swinney seems to acknowledge the weak schedule when explaining why he feels his team has to be undefeated “because we don’t play nobody.””

Clemson has to dominate because they are perceived to play a very weak schedule.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
This was more than just pure talent differences. Their O could get a first down whenever they needed. Their D took away our run game. Ultimately they wore down the D and we couldn't even stop their 4th string. About as ugly a loss as I have witnessed and I have been an alum for over 50 years. It ranks up there with the drubbing ND gave us the year after we tied them. Their players were singing "I'm a rambling wreck from Georgia Tech and what a helluva mess I am " after that game. I have always hated ND since then. Now I am starting to feel the same about Clemson. They definitely ran up the score.
We were massively complicit in the score run up as we had no plan or execution to milk the clock to limit the number of Clemson's possessions, especially after the game quickly got totally out of reach. When you go into a game where you have virtually no chance to win, you goal should be to get out of the game with minimal injuries, learn as much as you can, and not get embarrassed to the point of doing emotional damage. We had no such plan and made no such adjustment. I am disappointed in our in game and prep coaching....once again.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Its also wrong.
Like what, maybe the relatively high % of all 5* on all teams that get drafted, our grad rate vs ugag's, what the bumber stickers say on the campus pick-up trucks, what the recent star graduates are saying about campus life at ugag, what a Tech degree is worth, or .....? Have at it.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Not actually the case. Saw a study that the highest rate of a 4 star to reach the NFL (in the SEC) was Kentucky.
I have no idea what you are talking about.

There have been 259 draft-eligible five stars since the 2008 class and 33 of those were from Alabama. Seventeen of those 33 became a first-round pick. That’s 51.5 percent. And twice the rate of the rest of D1.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea what you are talking about.

There have been 259 draft-eligible five stars since the 2008 class and 33 of those were from Alabama. Seventeen of those 33 became a first-round pick. That’s 51.5 percent. And twice the rate of the rest of D1.

These are facts. And, as I have told many on here over and over again. Saban's advantages are NUMEROUS:

1. Football is GOD in AL
2. Tradition at Bammer is almost unsurpassed
3. BUT, and this is a BIG BUT, the main advantage is what you state, Vespidae, along with this information - most of these kids ONLY care about NFL:
  • Saban has letters from multiple NFL dignitaries (not the least of which is Bill Belichick) saying that a player who plays in his system, especially on the D side of the ball, will get bonus points in draft evaluations, and also, that because they will go up against the best in practice each week, the playing time on Saturdays is not that important
  • In fact, the less playing time necessary, the better chance they won't have a career ending or changing injury

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure Dabo would take that as a side benefit but think his primary motivation (Knowing the Bama/UGA game was coming) was to lock in poll votes to keep the #1 seed in the CFP. I see nothing unethical regarding how the game was coached. Starters were leaving early in 3rd Q which i think is his normal blowout routine. It's our guys job to stop their 2nd,3rd and 4th string.
Absolutely this. I have no problem at all with Dabo and Clemson. Our guys did not get the job done against the Clemson backups and if that rankles the feathers of some players and coaches then maybe it should. They (players and coaches) need to own the fact that they had opportunities to stop the Clemson backups and didn't. And I'm sure they all know that and feel pretty bad about it.

Absolutely this. I have no problem at all with Dabo and Clemson. Our guys did not get the job done against the Clemson backups and if that rankles the feathers of some players and coaches then maybe it should. They (players and coaches) need to own the fact that they had opportunities to stop the Clemson backups and didn't. And I'm sure they all know that and feel pretty bad about it.
I certainly HOPE they feel bad about it.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Like what, maybe the relatively high % of all 5* on all teams that get drafted, our grad rate vs ugag's, what the bumber stickers say on the campus pick-up trucks, what the recent star graduates are saying about campus life at ugag, what a Tech degree is worth, or .....? Have at it.

You said: Plus he can say all of our graduates are set for life. Plus, based CPJs record, he can claim you will actually graduate, and btw you should check out the grad rate of da factories, like ugag.

Sure he can. But I'm talking Five Stars. And the percentage of those athletes that get drafted in the first. You deflected by talking about grad rates for all players which is a totally different population. Do you really think a 5* SA about to sign for multi-millions cares what the grad rate is?

You said: EVERYBODY, including us if we ever get one again like CJ, can claim their 5* get drafted at a high %.

Claiming is one thing. It is a fact that 5* who play at Alabama have a 55% likelihood of being drafted in the first round. BTW, I'm not talking about getting drafted. I'm talking about getting drafted in the first round where the compensation is likely to be far higher.

You said: He can also say--check out what our current players, many of whom you know, say about what it's like to be here vs Tuscaloosa and Athens. Plus, be sure kid and walk around Bama, CU, and ugag campuses and look at what the pick-up truck stickers say (have your parents do the same thing, ok). And finally, ask the recruit to check out what ugag's recent stars are saying about how they were treated on campus,I don and compare that to going to school in Atlanta and all that this means.

He can say that. But if the main argument is earnings potential, none of that matters. A 5* with aspirations to play in the NFL has the highest likelihood of getting drafted in the first round by attending Alabama. I'm sure there are 5*'s who don't plan to play in the NFL. I don't know any ... but who knows?

You said: We are all aware of what CFB has become, but there's more than one way to skin a cat. The 5* recruits that are dreaming of an NFL contract in 3 years, we don't get anyway, and don't have to (actually we have one now, but he's very rare). Six or seven 4* per class will do just fine as long as 4-5 of em are LOS players and 2 of those are DT wardaddies. THWG

So? I think Tech will do just fine recruiting quality 3* and some 4* players and develop them. I've posted to that effect multiple times. I do not think Tech has the best argument if the selling proposition is .. "Come to Tech and maximize your earnings potential." The discounted cash flow of a lifetime as an engineer is roughly one season in the NFL. Maybe not even that.

A 5* has the best chance to make the most money playing college ball playing for Alabama, Clemson, Florida, LSU, OSU, UGA, FSU, USC and Texas. These programs have the highest demonstrated success in getting SA's drafted in the first round.

None of your comments change that fact.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
These are facts. And, as I have told many on here over and over again. Saban's advantages are NUMEROUS:

1. Football is GOD in AL
2. Tradition at Bammer is almost unsurpassed
3. BUT, and this is a BIG BUT, the main advantage is what you state, Vespidae, along with this information - most of these kids ONLY care about NFL:
  • Saban has letters from multiple NFL dignitaries (not the least of which is Bill Belichick) saying that a player who plays in his system, especially on the D side of the ball, will get bonus points in draft evaluations, and also, that because they will go up against the best in practice each week, the playing time on Saturdays is not that important
  • In fact, the less playing time necessary, the better chance they won't have a career ending or changing injury

Saban got it 10 years ago and perhaps, that's where Geoff got it as well since he worked there at that time.

Saban's goal is to be #1 in the country getting students who can be drafted, drafted and of those drafted, drafted in the highest rounds possible. That, the ability for an SA to monetize earnings potential is what drives his recruiting. And success creates more success. That's why Alabama has so many highly ranked recruiting classes.

Bama's athletic complex is a revolving door of employees coming and going to the NFL. Brian Daboll, who was Bama's OC in 2017 described Bama as "an NFL team. No difference in how it is run vs. a pro team."

That's why Geoff has a very difficult path ahead if this is what he's going to try to do. Ten other teams have a huge head start on him with far deeper pockets.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Curry graduated from high school in 1959. He was a great HS athlete in an era with no black athletes as competitors or teammates. That was the same as a Tech athlete. The world was a different place by the time he was named HC at Tech.
You neglected to mention his 10 years of NFL experience.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I certainly HOPE they feel bad about it.
I am sure they do because if they are competitive people like I am, and I can't help but think that anyone who plays and coaches a major college sport is ultra competitive, then they react to defeats the same way I do or in a similar way which is by being very disappointed in myself and then looking long and hard in the mirror and telling that guy he needs to do better. Then looking at what I did and didn't do leading up to the defeat and figuring out what I can and can't do differently and better to make the next opportunity a win or, at the very least, a significant improvement in performance by yours truly. Whether it is in business or just when I go for a ride with friends on my bicycle or working out in the gym I can handle a loss when I know I gave it everything and the other guy was just better even though I did everything in my power to succeed. I can't handle it when I know I had more to give and just didn't do it. I suspect the guys in our locker room (players and coaches) are mostly like that as well.

I did not expect us to win this weekend. I did expect us to compete harder until the final whistle and I'm disappointed we didn't do that.

Deleted member 2897

I believe Clemson could've done this to us every year the past 3 years. It felt like Dabo was sending a message to somebody and not letting up outside of letting Lawrence rest. They probably couldn't kicked our *** worse if they let him stay in.

Absolutely. And to just about every team. Their average margin of victory this season is 36 points. They beat the undefeated #5 team in the country by 25 points – and it would’ve been 32 if they didn’t try a silly 61 yard kick.

Dabo is still a clown though. He “aw shucks” his way through interviews - “ we played a walk on quarterback - what else am I supposed to do?” The guy is not a walk on quarterback in the true sense of the word. He was a 3-star recruit out of high school that wasn’t given a scholarship and he came anyway.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
This game is over and no one outside of us cares. Clemson doesn’t even care about it today. The sports world barely acknowledged it because we had 2 game sevens and Bama/UGA. It was bad no doubt but whether it was 42-7 or what it was it’s already forgotten except by us diehards. We have a winnable game on Saturday and if we win we’ll be 3-3 and Clemson will humiliate another team.
No one in the sports world in general is ever going to care about any games we play win or lose. That isn't really a good reason for fans to not care about wins and losses.

Saban got it 10 years ago and perhaps, that's where Geoff got it as well since he worked there at that time.

Saban's goal is to be #1 in the country getting students who can be drafted, drafted and of those drafted, drafted in the highest rounds possible. That, the ability for an SA to monetize earnings potential is what drives his recruiting. And success creates more success. That's why Alabama has so many highly ranked recruiting classes.

Bama's athletic complex is a revolving door of employees coming and going to the NFL. Brian Daboll, who was Bama's OC in 2017 described Bama as "an NFL team. No difference in how it is run vs. a pro team."

That's why Geoff has a very difficult path ahead if this is what he's going to try to do. Ten other teams have a huge head start on him with far deeper pockets.
LOL.......head start.....Which one of Tech's 34 majors will allow all these 5 stars to get in and stay at Tech? And now with APR we do have to graduate some of them. Take a look at our current 2021 recruiting class. They are all three stars and two stars...wonder why?

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
You said: Plus he can say all of our graduates are set for life. Plus, based CPJs record, he can claim you will actually graduate, and btw you should check out the grad rate of da factories, like ugag.

Sure he can. But I'm talking Five Stars. And the percentage of those athletes that get drafted in the first. You deflected by talking about grad rates for all players which is a totally different population. Do you really think a 5* SA about to sign for multi-millions cares what the grad rate is?

You said: EVERYBODY, including us if we ever get one again like CJ, can claim their 5* get drafted at a high %.

Claiming is one thing. It is a fact that 5* who play at Alabama have a 55% likelihood of being drafted in the first round. BTW, I'm not talking about getting drafted. I'm talking about getting drafted in the first round where the compensation is likely to be far higher.

You said: He can also say--check out what our current players, many of whom you know, say about what it's like to be here vs Tuscaloosa and Athens. Plus, be sure kid and walk around Bama, CU, and ugag campuses and look at what the pick-up truck stickers say (have your parents do the same thing, ok). And finally, ask the recruit to check out what ugag's recent stars are saying about how they were treated on campus,I don and compare that to going to school in Atlanta and all that this means.

He can say that. But if the main argument is earnings potential, none of that matters. A 5* with aspirations to play in the NFL has the highest likelihood of getting drafted in the first round by attending Alabama. I'm sure there are 5*'s who don't plan to play in the NFL. I don't know any ... but who knows?

You said: We are all aware of what CFB has become, but there's more than one way to skin a cat. The 5* recruits that are dreaming of an NFL contract in 3 years, we don't get anyway, and don't have to (actually we have one now, but he's very rare). Six or seven 4* per class will do just fine as long as 4-5 of em are LOS players and 2 of those are DT wardaddies. THWG

So? I think Tech will do just fine recruiting quality 3* and some 4* players and develop them. I've posted to that effect multiple times. I do not think Tech has the best argument if the selling proposition is .. "Come to Tech and maximize your earnings potential." The discounted cash flow of a lifetime as an engineer is roughly one season in the NFL. Maybe not even that.

A 5* has the best chance to make the most money playing college ball playing for Alabama, Clemson, Florida, LSU, OSU, UGA, FSU, USC and Texas. These programs have the highest demonstrated success in getting SA's drafted in the first round.

None of your comments change that fact.
Look, only focusing on 5* players who represent a very small percentage of recruits(.01%) is not only myopic, it's a good case for how ridiculous your Geoff comments vs Saban and Dabo really are. We don't sign 5* except rarely. Only a handful of programs sign the majority of them. We have to sign high 3s and 5-6 4s on a consistent basis to even have a chance at becoming relevant again.
You make a good case for only recruiting 5*, but you make a lousy case for what matters to Tech's football future, which is what every comment I made in my post is related to, and said comments are dead on accurate.

Last edited:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
LOL.......head start.....Which one of Tech's 34 majors will allow all these 5 stars to get in and stay at Tech? And now with APR we do have to graduate some of them. Take a look at our current 2021 recruiting class. They are all three stars and two stars...wonder why?

Thank you. That's my point.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Look, only focusing on 5* players who represent a very small percentage of recruits is not only myopic, it's a good case for how ridiculous your Geoff comments vs Saban and Dabo really are. We don't sign 5* except rarely. Only a handful of programs sign the majority of them. We have to sign high 3s and 5-6 4s on a consistent basis to even have a chance at becoming relevant again.
You make a good case for only recruiting 5*, but you make a lousy case for what matters to Tech's football future, which is what every comment I made in my post is related to, and said comments are dead on accurate.

While I don't disagree with your comments in general, they are completely irrelevant to the point I was making. I'm commenting on why is so difficult to recruit 5*'s to Tech at all. And there are probably thousands of posts on this site by people that think Geoff is going to do that. He isn't. We have no selling proposition to 5*'s.

The strategy, articulated by TStan himself, is to recruit 3s and some 4s and develop them so that they become 5* and can be drafted.