Clemson Post-game Thread

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
True, it's never as good or as bad as it seems. This is pretty bad though. What is disturbing to me is that I am strangely ambivalent. Getting older I suppose but the lack of fire in the fan that is within me is an indication that I just don't care as much as I used to. If the players and the coaches don't mind a historic beatdown, well, who am I to argue?
When the fan base becomes apathetic it becomes very difficult to recover. Are we becoming more like Duke or maybe Tulane than we want to admit? I sure hope not. At least Duke has basketball. We can't let apathy take over. So far the response to that loss yesterday says our fans still care. A colleague at work is a Dookie. He knew several players back when a student and they were really bad then. He said their attitude was "so what if you beat me on the football field. Someday I will be your boss."

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
When the fan base becomes apathetic it becomes very difficult to recover. Are we becoming more like Duke or maybe Tulane than we want to admit? I sure hope not. At least Duke has basketball. We can't let apathy take over. So far the response to that loss yesterday says our fans still care. A colleague at work is a Dookie. He knew several players back when a student and they were really bad then. He said their attitude was "so what if you beat me on the football field. Someday I will be your boss."
I would not extrapolate my apathy to the fan base at large. Not for a moment do I think the younger fans are feeling this way. We have been in worse, much worse, circumstances than this and managed to come back. In Bill Curry's first year he had sign along the fence on the east side line that quoted Winston Churchill: "Never, never, never quit" And that was in the midst of two seasons that had as I recall 2 wins and 1 tie between them.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Clemson lost a ton from last years team on both LOS. It's all about elite recruiting (that CGC has mentioned we will do a hundred times). He 's a proven recruiter, albeit mostly at places with a very large bank roll and majors to hide guys that read at a 3rd grade level (not a joke). Yes, he contributed to GT's 2007 class, but it's waaay diff being the HC. It's also way diff with a measly budget and recruiting players that compete in the classroom with kids with credentials competitive at places like Duke and Harvard. I'm not sure the average "fan" understands the profound difference between GT and places like ugag, CU, Bama, and AU. Yet we have done it before and will likely do it again. It takes longer here, as Ross demonstrated who was an established winning coach long before he got here. If we give CGC long enough (say 4 years), he may demonstrate he is learning the ropes of being a D-1 HC. I am like most who have lived enough life to know, the "All hat and no cattle" thingy is real, but my concern far above CGC and staff is......the $.

Last edited:

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Why do people think a coach screaming and breaking stuff makes players play better? How many chairs need to be broken to make our defenders better than Trevor Lawrence?

Because they don't understand that coaching requires knowledge of the fact that different players respond differently to differently motivational tactics, and scorched earth would leave you with..... well, a scorched earth.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I would not extrapolate my apathy to the fan base at large. Not for a moment do I think the younger fans are feeling this way. We have been in worse, much worse, circumstances than this and managed to come back. In Bill Curry's first year he had sign along the fence on the east side line that quoted Winston Churchill: "Never, never, never quit" And that was in the midst of two seasons that had as I recall 2 wins and 1 tie between them.
Just think we could have hired George Welch instead of that turncoat Curry who was not prepared to be a head coach when we hired him.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
They are going to pay Malzahn $21 million to just walk away? Geez Louise, that is some serious dough to throw away. I wonder what is the most we have paid a coach to just leave? Seems like we were paying for two coaches to not coach at one time one in basketball perhaps?

The scuttlebutt I hear is that Auburn feels like it is falling further and further behind under Malzahn. Or at least not moving forward.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There is a temptation with Tech people, and I include myself in this, to denigrate liberal arts as opposed to STEM majors. As I have aged and have more time to read, my perspective as changed. Here are five books I recently read/reread. Nothing that happened in my Calculus classes compares to comprehending these books.

1. Finnegans Wake by James Joyce (1939)
  2. The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner (1929)
  3. The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer (14th Century)
  4. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez (1967)
  5. Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon (1973)

It's amazing how many timeless lessons came out of Canterbury Tales...a book written around six hundred years ago.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

To be honest, Coach Ritch is a far better coach and person than Kirby Smart will ever be but that is just my opinion. Smart has better bagmen and better players but each had their unique bogeymen. For Mark it was Florida, for Smart it is Alabama. I was startled watching that UGA - Alabama game. It was an even contest and the Tide seemingly put it in another gear and left the Mutts hanging. Alabama has superior quarterbacking and a better offensive line. Probably better receivers too. UGA had the better defense for a while anyway.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Cross posting from a prospect’s thread

I don't think anyone should be bashing our players on social media or message boards. They are Tech men, like us, and they are managing Tech classwork with being a D1 athlete. That is more than most of us did.

I think coaches are fair game. They are hired help, make tons of money, and know that criticism comes with the job.

I also don't think her rant, holding up the prior coaching staff, saying the current one screwed her son over, and saying my other son is even better and you won't get him, is very becoming either. I understand her emotion, but it doesn't seem helpful.

The bottom line: Lay off the players people.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
There is a temptation with Tech people, and I include myself in this, to denigrate liberal arts as opposed to STEM majors. As I have aged and have more time to read, my perspective as changed. Here are five books I recently read/reread. Nothing that happened in my Calculus classes compares to comprehending these books.

1. Finnegans Wake by James Joyce (1939)
  2. The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner (1929)
  3. The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer (14th Century)
  4. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez (1967)
  5. Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon (1973)
Good on you.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Clemson lost a ton from last years team on both LOS. It's all about elite recruiting (that CGC has mentioned we will do a hundred times). He 's a proven recruiter, albeit mostly at places with a very large bank roll and majors to hide guys that read at a 3rd grade level (not a joke). Yes, he contributed to GT's 2007 class, but it's waaay diff being the HC. It's also way diff with a measly budget and recruiting players that compete in the classroom with kids with credentials competitive at places like Duke and Harvard. I'm not sure the average "fan" understands the profound difference between GT and places like ugag, CU, Bama, and AU. Yet we have done it before and will likely do it again. It takes longer here, as Ross demonstrated who was a established winning coach long before he got here. If we give CGC long enough (say 4 years), he may demonstrate he is learning the ropes of being a D-1 HC. I am like most who have lived enough life to know, the "All hat and no cattle" thingy is real, but my concern far above CGC and staff is......the $.
College football has fundamentally changed since the days of Ross and O'Leary.

Say you are a five-star kid and Saban, Dabo and Geoff come calling. Here's the pitch:

Saban: "Come to Alabama. 55% of 5-stars will be picked in the first round. 82% will be drafted period. You'll make the most money after college."
Dabo: "Come to Clemson. 36% of our 5-stars will be picked in the first round. 91% will be drafted period. You're set for life."
Geoff: "Come to GT. None of our players are drafted first round. Most not at all. But you can design barracks for the Corp of Engineers."

That's what we are up against.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t think it’s breaking chairs so much as it is are there consequences for poor play?

Look, you can only go to war with the army you have, not the army you hope to have. Most of us knew we would lose this game and we did. No surprise.

Its the coaches that put kids in a position to win with the play, the skill, and the desire to win.

What’s the point of yelling at kids for a game you knew going in was going to be difficult, if not impossible? If Collins is breaking chairs, he might start with his staff.
So we could bench a guy like Tre Swilling and give him consequences? How's Tobias Oliver gonna do against that Clemson offense?

We could fire Thacker and hire Belichick as DC. You think he's stopping Clemson too?

Look, I get it yesterday got out of hand and was way worse than it probably should have been. Dabo clearly wanted to RUTS (which doesn't bother me as much as others) and he could hang 70 on most teams they play if he really wanted. We are 1.5 years into a serious rebuild where a lot of talented kids are coming here and looking at coming here. Pardon me if I'm not going to throw a tantrum about our coaching staff because they get their *** kicked by a dynasty program.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Saban: "Come to Alabama. 55% of 5-stars will be picked in the first round. 82% will be drafted period. You'll make the most money after college."
Dabo: "Come to Clemson. 36% of our 5-stars will be picked in the first round. 91% will be drafted period. You're set for life."
Geoff: "Come to GT. None of our players are drafted first round. Most not at all. But you can design barracks for the Corp of Engineers."

That's what we are up against.
I don't know if there is enough data to be statistically significant or not, but that is a big gap between 5 stars becoming first rounders at Bama vs. Clemson. Just find it interesting enough to comment.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This just felt like a poorly played and coached game he while way around. Wasn't expecting anything close to a win but 73 to 7 is just completely disgusting. Dabo seemed to want to embarrass us today
Clemson may be in for a rough ride from what I am reading. The No. 2 QB was already hurt and out, and the 3 broke his wrist Saturday. . That left Swinney Helms, who played well, and the punter, which explains why he got snaps late in the game. He may be down to Lawrence and Helms as his two-deep, and several Rosaries for Lawrence's good health. Swinney got Helms apparently because everybody assumed he was going to play baseball at Georgia though he was an outstanding HS QB as well. As usual Swinney felt the wind and swooped in late.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I watched a snow ball rolling down hill yesterday. We were destroyed on both sides of the ball. I always wondered what our defense would look like if we didn’t reduce the # of possessions through ball control and the triple option.
I’m pretty sure I witnessed what I was concerned about. A perfect storm.
I hated the results and feel terrible for the kids.
My game recovery started at 8:00 last night when Alabama dropped 40+ on the most talented D in the land. I bring this up because UGA , Clemson and Alabama have had the best recruiting in the land over the past 5 years .
I’m just not losing sleep over a very special team whipping our *** with a huge gap in talent. Time to move on.