Clemson Post-game Thread

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Did you ever consider Clemson might be better than last year? We looked like crap today, but I don’t think this is revealing of us as a program. We are a better football team and program than we were 365 days ago. Sometimes these things multiply each other - like playing mostly freshman and sophomores on DL against arguably the greatest college QB ever and having a secondary that is not equipped for our scheme. Good teams expose that. It wasn’t evident against FSU or UL because we’re as good as those teams. I think it’s fair to say our staff and players need to get better at handling success
I think that handling success bit has at least some merit to it. Tech has only won 2 consecutive games on 4 occasions since 2017. Once in 2017 with a 3 game streak over Jax State, Pitt, and UNC. 3 times in 2018 (although there’s a 4 game win streak included) with Bowing Green & Louisville, then VT, UNC, Miami, and UVA. That 4 game win streak was the longest since 2014 when there were 2 separate 5 game win streaks. Even the seniors and oldest guys on the team don’t really know how to win. It’s a process, and it’s part of the culture change that comes along with the new staff.

Since CGC and Co. took over, the games following wins have include the Citadel disaster, a 20-10 loss to Pitt where we forced 3 turnovers but only totaled 194 offensive yards, the 52-7 trouncing by the Dwags, a tough loss against UCF who really just outmatched us, and a historic loss to Clemson. The Clemson and UGA losses were to be expected, but I don’t think anybody expected how bad they would actually become.

There’s still some tough growing pains on the horizon. But there is hope to close the season out with a bang. All 6 of the last 6 games are winnable. Not that Tech will have a great chance, but neither Miami or Notre Dame are on the next level that Clemson is on. But between Pitt, BC, NC St., and Duke, 2 wins is well within the realm of possibility. I hope this was the last of the complete embarrassments that will occur during these trying times. Tech won’t be anywhere near UGA or Clemson’s level anytime soon, but we shouldn’t be getting ran of the field like an FCS team against them either. I also understand that everything Clemson did today was intentional, and they could very likely put up similar scores/numbers against most teams in the ACC. Let’s just make sure they never do it to us again.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
So would have 52-7 made you feel better?

It’s not the being mad part, it’s the somehow today is an indictment on the season progress and what the future will be,
Honestly yes. There is a bit of a stigma to giving up over 60 points and over 70 is even worse. That usually only happens against bad FCS teams. I don’t think any FBS team has even scored over 70 points this season before this game, but I could be wrong.

Deleted member 2897

Miami does Miami things, but they look to be a tough out. Other than them, every other team on our schedule is winnable. Notre Dame is barely beating the worst teams in the ACC. They scored 12 against Louisville when we scored 46. We can finish with anywhere from 2 wins to 7 or 8. Today sucked dirty cow balls, but if we can finish with 6+ wins maybe some people will realize that today’s game only counted as 1 loss. Losing to Alabama helps, but I may find myself cheering for Clemson this year later as they may be 1 of only 2 teams who can beat the dwags.

slugboy

Staff member
I am fortunate that my son is a Tech grad. But I doubt he will agree that he had it easier than the previous generations. Especially his dad. Although I recall my previous generation complained about classes/labs on Saturday.
I haven’t heard that Tech became easy—just that it’s not an adversarial setup. If you’re smart enough to get in, the idea is you’re smart enough to get out

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There is a temptation with Tech people, and I include myself in this, to denigrate liberal arts as opposed to STEM majors. As I have aged and have more time to read, my perspective as changed. Here are five books I recently read/reread. Nothing that happened in my Calculus classes compares to comprehending these books.

1. Finnegans Wake by James Joyce (1939)
  2. The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner (1929)
  3. The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer (14th Century)
  4. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez (1967)
  5. Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon (1973)

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I haven’t heard that Tech became easy—just that it’s not an adversarial setup. If you’re smart enough to get in, the idea is you’re smart enough to get out
It's almost as if they want you to be successful instead of dropping out and going to work or somewhere else to finish your degree. Unthinkable. Revoluntionary. Brilliant. I wonder who thought of that?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There is a temptation with Tech people, and I include myself in this, to denigrate liberal arts as opposed to STEM majors. As I have aged and have more time to read, my perspective as changed. Here are five books I recently read/reread. Nothing that happened in my Calculus classes compares to comprehending these books.

1. Finnegans Wake by James Joyce (1939)
  2. The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner (1929)
  3. The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer (14th Century)
  4. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez (1967)
  5. Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon (1973)

I guess we are guilty of thread hijacking and will be reported, but imo it wasn't calculus that was beneficial in and of itself. It was surviving and advancing calculus and all the other classes at Ma Tech that made the education invaluable. There are HS kids now who are taking and being successful at calculus. But it is NOT the same thing (imo).

ETA; I don't think we undervalue liberal arts as much as we know it was taught in places without the "adversarial" component that slugboy referred to above. I think we were jealous of that type of college experience.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Thoughts on the ACC yesterday:

UNC should have been able to score again. That 4th down dropped pass should have been caught. But, FSU has gotten better since they played us.
ND could easily have scored as the clock was running down yesterday and the score would look better. Still, that was Louisville.
Miami and VT may be solidly ahead of everyone but Clemson.
If Clemson is not the best team I have ever seen, they are damn close.
We are not that bad, but matching up with Clemson was a stretch too far.

slugboy

Staff member
I guess we are guilty of thread hijacking and will be reported, but imo it wasn't calculus that was beneficial in and of itself. It was surviving and advancing calculus and all the other classes at Ma Tech that made the education invaluable. There are HS kids now who are taking and being successful at calculus. But it is NOT the same thing (imo).

ETA; I don't think we undervalue liberal arts as much as we know it was taught in places without the "adversarial" component that slugboy referred to above. I think we were jealous of that type of college experience.
I graduated a LONG time ago, and I just recently used calculus (really, a good bit of it) in a machine learning project. It took a lot to get refreshed on the topic.

I’ve seen some of the projects GT students are completing today, and I’m impressed. I don’t think our current students are soft or our current student athletes.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I graduated a LONG time ago, and I just recently used calculus (really, a good bit of it) in a machine learning project. It took a lot to get refreshed on the topic.

I’ve seen some of the projects GT students are completing today, and I’m impressed. I don’t think our current students are soft or our current student athletes.

I teach HS out of state. I see the kids who get accepted there. And those who don't. It is a pretty impressive group of young people to be sure. In today's world, you aren't getting in unless you started doing work really early on. Unless myself in HS - I was in state, not competing with 50% of the population (females) for admittance and a smaller population in general. I didn't start taking school seriously until I was a junior in high school. I wouldn't been accepted now ceteris paribus. If Gt has changed, it is not their fault. Like they say in sports, you only play the teams that are on your schedule.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Thoughts on the ACC yesterday:

UNC should have been able to score again. That 4th down dropped pass should have been caught. But, FSU has gotten better since they played us.
ND could easily have scored as the clock was running down yesterday and the score would look better. Still, that was Louisville.
Miami and VT may be solidly ahead of everyone but Clemson.
If Clemson is not the best team I have ever seen, they are damn close.
We are not that bad, but matching up with Clemson was a stretch too far.
FSU finally figured out they needed to make a change at QB. Just think Howell was originally committed to FSU. They have let go of two good ones recently when they lost Sims as well.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I am a big supporter of our student athletes. These kids work hard at practice and in the classroom. I want any kid that signs with Tech to be successful in life and someday football or whatever sport when it will be over. I will criticize the coaches when I feel they are not measuring up to expectations and sometimes I realize things are beyond their control and I should be more understanding. The kids that laid it all out on the field yesterday are hurting a lot more today than I could ever be.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
I was at the game but heard he said that at the half. I would have preferred that he broke a couple of chairs. I mean they were down 52-7 at halftime! They should have come out in the second half breathing fire instead of feeling loved by the coach.
Why do people think a coach screaming and breaking stuff makes players play better? How many chairs need to be broken to make our defenders better than Trevor Lawrence?