Clemson Post-game Thread

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately I think the results are a mix of talent deficiency on both sides of the ball and subpar coaching on both sides of the ball.

we will see how the rest of the season pans out but if we lose focus on this season then next year will pretty much be make or break. I’m all about juice and supporting the team and coaches but this is NOT the first time we looked poorly coached. Granted it was a loss against effing Clemson but the way we played was familiar to a few other losses in the last 1.5 seasons.

I’m willing to give the staff more time but poor coaching has reared it’s head more times than not.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
As a lifelong Georgia Tech fan I can remember back in the Frank Howard era when GT would not even play up at Clemson and forced them to come to Atlanta to play our games. I think Dodd felt that going to Clemson was akin to going to Mississippi and was basically a waste of his time and beneath him and Tech. We routinely treated them like a Division 3 team and it was an automatic W for Tech and a nice payday for little old Clemson. Our all time record of 50 wins to some 33 or so losses reflects a lot of the above. In many ways it seems the script has flipped in the modern era.

So in some ways, yesterday comes, I guess, as a bit of payback for years of mistreatment of our foe. Unfortunately, somehow we got stuck with playing Clemson as our permanent cross division rival in the ACC. Originally this was a good thing and made for some exciting and meaningful games. This has now devolved into an anchor around our neck almost guaranteeing at least one ACC loss for us each year. So we find ourselves stuck in a spot that for the foreseeable future will represent a mountain too high for us to climb. Things can change and hopefully Coach Collins will have us much more competitive in the near future and Clemson may fade to some degree as all empires do eventually.

I agree with some of the sentiments expressed in this thread earlier. The older I have become the more accepting I have become of these sorts of events. Not too long ago this kind of loss would have destroyed my mood for weeks and I would have been calling for everybody's head. I kept hoping we would fight back and at least show some spark of something positive but yesterday was just not our day. It was one of those days that makes you consider taking your Tech license plate off your car and throwing out all your Tech clothing. But at the end of the day, if you have loved Tech football as long as I have, you know that, like a good woman, you just can't quit them.

So we will lick our wounds and effort to get better as we prepare to face the next opportunity this coming Saturday, Boston College. It will be interesting to see how our team and coaches handle moving on from this experience. I remain ever hopeful for better days ahead and will remain a Georgia Tech fan until my days are done here.

Go Jackets!

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Unfortunately I think the results are a mix of talent deficiency on both sides of the ball and subpar coaching on both sides of the ball.

we will see how the rest of the season pans out but if we lose focus on this season then next year will pretty much be make or break. I’m all about juice and supporting the team and coaches but this is NOT the first time we looked poorly coached. Granted it was a loss against effing Clemson but the way we played was familiar to a few other losses in the last 1.5 seasons.

I’m willing to give the staff more time but poor coaching has reared it’s head more times than not.
LOL! Subpar coaching? Maybe. But let's look at it this way...Clemson has two highly respected, highly compensated, top tier coordinators. Maybe out guys were just outmatched by two of the best in the business.

Yesterday is not an indictment about anything to do with GT other than Clemson is in a different league right now. That's just a fact of life.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
So would have 52-7 made you feel better?

It’s not the being mad part, it’s the somehow today is an indictment on the season progress and what the future will be,
Oh I agree with you on that. I’ve stayed away from the Clemson and UGA game threads the last three years for that exact reason. We aren’t in the same league. They are blowing out everyone. It says more about them than us. Getting blown out by them, as much as we hate them, is inevitable right now.

I’m just saying I understand why people are upset and vent. We got our asses handed to us in historic fashion. I think it’s dumb that some posters think we’ll lose multiple recruits this week alone because of this game, but I don’t get bothered by people saying stupid **** when they are heated and venting.

Personally, I didn’t watch past the first quarter, so I am kind of numb to it. 52-7 wouldn’t have been much better.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I see it the other way I’m embarrassed that people are seeing positivity from this staff. Let me give you some highlights in the last 17 games
1) Lost to FCS school at home
2) worst loss in Clean, old, fashion, hate history
3) worst Loss in Clemson history
4) Worst Home loss in school history
4) Worst loss in ACC History

And some on here say we are making progress.

I get it. And you make a great point. Personally, I was a fan of keeping the TO but now ... and where CFB is headed, it's clear that can't work. We would forever fall into the mid-tier programs and probably not get out.

Trends suggest that there's going to be 25 or so programs that are relevant in 5 years and 100 also rans (Charlotte, Buffalo, Louisiana). So, it Tech wants to be in the 25, it has to recruit. Bigly. And that means totally changing the direction of the program.

Clemson has a 10 year head start. I think we will be in this boat for another 2 years ... winning 4-5 games a year until we start to turn the corner. Having said that, I also think we are going to be a decent 8-4 team but .... we will be relevant.

The big programs like Bama, Clemson, UGA, OSU ... are simply going to get more and more of the resources, including talent. It's the Pareto Rule applied to CFB.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Actually the Bible is the same, no matter what you may or not believe about it. Fact or fiction, most of the stories are timeless. Technology gets better but, sadly, people seem to stay the same for the most part. IMO.

100%. Religious texts (Christian and other religions) are fascinating in how insightful they are for humanity, and how their lessons can be applied across time and all situations. Humans are truly more the same than we are different.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
All of you disappeared after they beat Louisville by 20. Y’all love to complain.

Eh, this is also kind of a poor argument. Conflict creates story and therefore creates discussion. It’s only natural there is more posting after a loss. Same reason as to why most people are blind to politics except every four years. There feels like there’s something at stake.

I frankly never saw anything offensive about the use of the nickname "P'Nut". It's a helluva lot easier to type that than to type (spell correctly) his last name. I used that name last year, because I saw it posted on this site and elsewhere, so I adopted it too. I even used it last week after what I thought was by far his best game as OC yet, and one I thought would be a turning point for our offense. Unfortunately, yesterday turned out to be one of his worst. If it's considered derogatory to use it, then so be it, but IMO, other than the L'ville game, he hasn't shown me anything to indicate that he is a very good OC, and he has earned criticism as well as what some might consider derogatory nicknames. I will NEVER criticize our players, but the coaches get paid, and not to be able to call them out for their faults, or even use nicknames for them is nothing short of censorship, and censorship is counter to everything most, if not all, of us believe in.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
After a day of reflecting, I’m still in the same position on Thacker. He seems like a cool guy and I like his energy, etc, but we seem really unorganized and not prepared on defense.
When he talks, he seems like he knows what he’s talking about but the play doesn’t reflect it. I’m not sure if it’s he’s not a good defense coordinator or what he’s teaching isn’t being translated well, but we look so bad on defense at times, especially in the first half of games. It doesn’t matter much if you make adjustments in the 2nd half if you’re already down 52-7.
I know he doesn’t have much to work with at several positions, but he coaches the LB specifically and that is prob our weakest group overall.

I'm very disappointed in our DB play this year. Our positioning is poor, and we seem to have WRs running free all over the defensive backfield because we either lack communication, or guys don't know their assignments. There were several instances yesterday where our DBs didn't even have a clue that the pass was being thrown to the guy they were defending. How does that happen?!

The worst thing about it is CGC makes a point of talking up his DB development, and how he personally has a hand in coaching DBs. It's not for lack of talent either...DB is one of the strongest positions he inherited from CPJ, and one of the positions we recruit VERY well at.

The quality of our defensive backfield play should be MUCH better. It's OK to get beat on talent, but when we are unorganized back there, we take bad positions, or we don't even know that the ball needs to be contested...well, those are big problems.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
I frankly never saw anything offensive about the use of the nickname "P'Nut". It's a helluva lot easier to type that than to type (spell correctly) his last name. I used that name last year, because I saw it posted on this site and elsewhere, so I adopted it too. I even used it last week after what I thought was by far his best game as OC yet, and one I thought would be a turning point for our offense. Unfortunately, yesterday turned out to be one of his worst. If it's considered derogatory to use it, then so be it, but IMO, other than the L'ville game, he hasn't shown me anything to indicate that he is a very good OC, and he has earned criticism as well as what some might consider derogatory nicknames. I will NEVER criticize our players, but the coaches get paid, and not to be able to call them out for their faults, or even use nicknames for them is nothing short of censorship, and censorship is counter to everything most, if not all, of us believe in.
Deep breath it’s okay don’t cry

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer

I have no idea how to spell his name off the top of my head and learning to do so is not my top priority. I guess I’ll call him Dave here, if it makes people feel better. It’s same reason I call Giannis Giannis. No hard feelings implied....though Dave doesn’t have the track record as Giannis 😂

Deleted member 2897

Clemson may be in for a rough ride from what I am reading. The No. 2 QB was already hurt and out, and the 3 broke his wrist Saturday. . That left Swinney Helms, who played well, and the punter, which explains why he got snaps late in the game. He may be down to Lawrence and Helms as his two-deep, and several Rosaries for Lawrence's good health. Swinney got Helms apparently because everybody assumed he was going to play baseball at Georgia though he was an outstanding HS QB as well. As usual Swinney felt the wind and swooped in late.

Even more idiotic with how long Dabo has left Lawrence in games this year. Maybe he’ll finally learn.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
You can’t call him Peanut. That’s derogatory. You can call him “Arachis hypogaea”, his correct Latin name. Or, refer to him as a “Legume-American“ coach.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I will NEVER criticize our players, but the coaches get paid, and not to be able to call them out for their faults, or even use nicknames for them is nothing short of censorship, and censorship is counter to everything most, if not all, of us believe in.
As always, your input is appreciated. Criticism is indeed okay. Juvenile comments and the like are not. If that is censorship then I respect your right to believe that. If you are uncertain as to how to refer to him going forward (I too am unclear on the spelling of his real name myself) I think CDP should suffice. And it is easy to spell.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
Here is the schedule. There is a good chance we win 2-3 more. BC, Pitt, Duke, and NCSU are all winnable. Miami and ND? Could happen. I can see this being a 6-5 season.

While trying to avoid fallacy, can anyone on here honestly (and realistically) say that they expected to have a 6-5 season in year 2? With this many lower class players starting? Sure I understand we have only 2 wins, not 6 - but I can easily see getting To 6.

I think a lot of this moaning and griping about the coaches is way premature, especially at this point in the Tenure, but especially when we have a good shot at a winning season.

I see a lot of nay saying. I also see a crazy opportunity to make all the pundits saying we would be last in ACC play look like fools. This could still be Coach of the Year type stuff if the O can get going again like they did v Louisville.

I am happy with what I have seen so far this year. I don't like losses, but they were fairly Unavoidable, especially Clemson.

D857E0DF-D43D-41C1-B820-6AB2A0E0BBEF.jpeg