Clemson 41 - GT 10

CEB

Helluva Engineer
i’m not sure about the dabo disdain for collins thing. i think dabo just understands the acc has to be dominated for clemson to be treated favorably by media and polls. remember when he benched trevor lawrence as they had a game sealed and then brought him back out against paul johnson a few years ago to score more? dabo is just kind of an ******* both on and off the field.
I think you’re right...don’t know about the dabo / Collins distain either... but the reality is this:
We are projected (rightly or wrongly) to be a 3 win team. If that holds or gets worse, Clemson needs to look firmly in control. Running up score? Maybe, but “struggling” against a 3 win team won’t play well later in the season for his team. Like it or not, it’s still a beauty contest, so hes got to take his shots whenever he can.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Will also add that the family did have a good time last night. Good pre game tailgate by the Alumni Association.

My 9 year old son, the eternal optimist, thought we were going to win until the final whistle. He also got photos with Buzz and Jose Alvarado, who was on the sideline by the Tech bench. Really like those tickets with access to the field level area behind the team bench. Those are pretty sweet, although I'd still rather be at Bobby Dodd.

My two daughters dressed in orange like their mother, which was disappointing. Front runner fans, I guess, but they'll be in white and gold at all other games they attend.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Topic that I have not heard discussed yet was our linebacker performance.

Was it just me or did they seem slow and out of position on some big Clemson plays?

Which plays in particular because Clemson didn't have many real big plays, and the ones they did have felt more like "can't expect to hold them down forever" type plays. There was one play over the middle I thought the LB was a little slow and missed the tackle, but overall I don't really get the feeling that any of our defensive groups played bad.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Next week’s game will tell us a lot if they Citadel us, which I don’t anticipate happening. I’m sure someone will start the, “Collins threw the game to his alma mater” if the unthinkable happens. :rolleyes:

Last night there were some stretches of really good play, and in particular, when Sims has time to set his feet and step into his throws he can really zip them in there. Hopefully those stretches will get longer and longer and can mitigate some of the not-so-good stretches, including horrific miscues like blocked punts and self-inflicted gunshot wounds to the foot.

I wouldn't think he threw it. It would just be another citadel/northern illinois moment where he doesn't wash as an ACC-level HC.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
The question is, is it enough time now to judge Collins in his players? He's had 3 full recruiting cycles, plus the open transfer market.

I think it's time we put the not having his players excuse to bed.

For good or bad, this season is fully on Collins.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
As for the end of half lack of calling a timeout, etc: I truly believe we had no plans to take a shot downfield because we basically quit taking shots downfield after the first throw of the game. Do you really think our OL could hold their DL long enough to let a WR get free deep enough to move the chains significantly? That is, if they didn't false start us back to our own 2 yard line...
This!
And God forbid we got really aggressive, took three shots and had to punt before the half... :ROFLMAO:

slugboy

Staff member
Topic that I have not heard discussed yet was our linebacker performance.

Was it just me or did they seem slow and out of position on some big Clemson plays?
I thought they were much better than last year. Eley was in on the 1Q fumble. We were tackling further upfield and playing faster.

Losing Thomas was a blow--he was playing well.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
This!
And God forbid we got really aggressive, took three shots and had to punt before the half... :ROFLMAO:

Seriously! I could actually see us throwing three incomplete passes, punting to them, and then them scoring before the half! Too funny! Just seems like something we would do! 😂😂

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The question is, is it enough time now to judge Collins in his players? He's had 3 full recruiting cycles, plus the open transfer market.

Time-wise it's plenty enough, but that game didn't give me an indication one way or another as to whether we're going to end up with six wins against the rest of the schedule. Some positives and some negatives, but we'll just have to see how the OL performs against a more average/normal DL to make a determination about how the rest of the season is going to unfold. Few if any injuries, and we can be thankful for that.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Something I noticed is that our only turnover of the night was when Sims tried the home run ball on the first play. Nice job from Jeff not throwing too many picks.
True but he did throw into a pack of Clemson guys near the goal line, IIRC. Bad decision that turned out okay since the ball fell incomplete.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Something I noticed is that our only turnover of the night was when Sims tried the home run ball on the first play. Nice job from Jeff not throwing too many picks.
I guess, but there were a couple really scary dangerous throws that could've/should've been picked off. His accuracy was better overall, though. Still late on a few passes.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Which plays in particular because Clemson didn't have many real big plays, and the ones they did have felt more like "can't expect to hold them down forever" type plays. There was one play over the middle I thought the LB was a little slow and missed the tackle, but overall I don't really get the feeling that any of our defensive groups played bad.
There were 3 or 4 plays where the running back was bouncing around behind the line of scrimmage looking for a crease and found it. Linebackers could have filled those holes but ran to the wrong spot.

On a different play, with no bouncing around, the back scored on 4th and goal and there was no linebacker to be found as a wide open hole opened up.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer

I haven't seen many saying otherwise. I feel most on here collectively understand what is at stake for Collins this season.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Seriously! I could actually see us throwing three incomplete passes, punting to them, and then them scoring before the half! Too funny! Just seems like something we would do! 😂😂
If indeed we actually punted to them...

:confused: