Class of 2020 - Commitments & Draft

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Am I the only one who is worried that we could not beat South Carolina and had to use a bottom to the 12th 2 run homer to best Samford? I mean, I know they are exhibitions, but still....

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Am I the only one who is worried that we could not beat South Carolina and had to use a bottom to the 12th 2 run homer to best Samford? I mean, I know they are exhibitions, but still....

I’m sure both teams were rotating in a lot of players. I wouldn’t read too much into exhibitions.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
We lost both exhibition games last year and one was to a community college. I don't put any stock into these games. I just look at how the freshmen performed.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

No, you are not alone.

Our defense was good with only 1 error in the games.

Our hitting was very spotty till the late innings when the other teams put in their poor pitchers. While this isn't necessarily bad, it can't be spun as good. For some reason we seem to have problems getting going hitting early in the season more than other teams. But we seen to consistently hit well once we get going.

Our pitching was good overall for our top line pitchers outside or Bartnicki for an inning. Maxwell looks like a probable starter being groomed. We pitched a total of 16 pitchers. When Austin Wilhite pitches, you know we are pitching everyone. But the other teams put in a lot of pitchers too which is why we should have scored more - even though we played 35 players in two games.

I'll post something soon in the roster section soon.

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
Hard to know what to make of these. However, I believe Samford was on the bubble of the NCAA tourney last year. Certainly at full strength, a loss to them wouldn't be any different than a loss to Mercer. However, given the multitude of players used all over the diamond, I think all you can really look at is positive and negatives from individuals as opposed to the team as a whole. As said above, I think the best part of these 2 games was the pitching of our presumed top pitchers, which is honestly the biggest unknown going in to the year.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Another pitcher who commited over a week ago. 4th pitcher in class of 13 for 2020. "Tyler Watson is a 2020 LHP with a 6-2 170 lb. frame from Johns Creek, GA who attends Johns Creek High School. Large, athletic frame with square shoulders and a lean, projectable build with room to fill throughout moving forward. Primary lefthanded pitcher, begins delivery with a quick side step into a leg lift above the belt, gets tall on backside; works with a short arm action through the back side and gets to an over-the-top release point. Pulls front side slightly at release, gets on top of fastball and topped out at 80 mph while projecting for more in the future. Flashed a curveball with 1-7 shape and nice depth to the bottom of the zone up to 70 mph. Very good student."

https://twitter.com/TJWatson02

http://tylerwatson2.com/

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Another pitcher who commited over a week ago. 4th pitcher in class of 13 for 2020. "Tyler Watson is a 2020 LHP with a 6-2 170 lb. frame from Johns Creek, GA who attends Johns Creek High School. Large, athletic frame with square shoulders and a lean, projectable build with room to fill throughout moving forward. Primary lefthanded pitcher, begins delivery with a quick side step into a leg lift above the belt, gets tall on backside; works with a short arm action through the back side and gets to an over-the-top release point. Pulls front side slightly at release, gets on top of fastball and topped out at 80 mph while projecting for more in the future. Flashed a curveball with 1-7 shape and nice depth to the bottom of the zone up to 70 mph. Very good student."

https://twitter.com/TJWatson02

http://tylerwatson2.com/
Shew only tops out at 80 mph on his fastball... Nuke do you see this guy playing at all?

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
that was from his last "showcase" even in 2017.
Highly recommend the PG membership :)
upload_2019-11-15_9-12-34.png

Latest event was WWBA Worlds.
upload_2019-11-15_9-13-32.png

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Shew only tops out at 80 mph on his fastball... Nuke do you see this guy playing at all?

If he was offered there had to be a reason. I saw the 80 mph too and the PG 8 top rating. There is more to pitching than FB speed - he reportedly has 4 pitches.

Do I see him playing? In the past I'd say no (under Howell). But with Borrell, there must be potential there. We have zero reason to offer him if we don't expect him to show out. We are over stocked in pitchers right now (see 2020 The Arms) and will not see some of the 24 I listed on the roster next year.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Signees:
John Anderson IF/C R-R 5-11 170 Grayson, GA (Grayson)
Dawson Brown RHP R-R 6-1 170 Macon, GA (Tatnall Square)
Jake DeLeo OF R-R 6-2 190 Norwalk, CT (Avon Old Farms)
Brad Grenkoski RHP R-R 6-4 195 Kennesaw, GA (Kell)
Marquis Grissom Jr. P/OF R-R 6-1 180 Atlanta, GA (Counterpane)
Tervell Johnson OF R-R 5-11 180 Atlanta, GA (Mays)
Xander Stephens RHP R-R 6-2 205 Lilburn, GA (Parkview)
Dylan Strickland SS R-R 6-0 170 Loganville, GA (Loganville)
Hank Thomas OF L-R 6-5 170 Oxford, OH (St. Xavier)
Tyler Watson LHP L-L 6-2 190 Johns Creek, GA (Johns Creek)

Commitments:
John Marant OF L-R 6-5 200 Tyrone, GA (Sandy Creek)
Nate McCollum* OF R-R 5-10 185 McDonough, GA (Dutchtown)
Khaya Wright* OF L-L 6-3 200 Miami, FL (South Miami)

*Denotes Football, anticipatory signing.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Kevin Parada signed. Perfect Game All American from Loyola, California. If he makes it to campus he ha the potential to be another great GT catcher who can hit

Parada is #32 on D1 Baseball top 100 for 2020 prospects.

I hope that by signing rather than just staying a verbal commit he is planning to come to GT. But he should be offered a lot in the draft.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Since some don't have the membership and I do...thought I'd share from PG recruiting class rank 2020.
Let's go Jackets. Get your asses to campus! :)

upload_2019-11-17_9-7-47.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-17_9-7-42.png
    upload_2019-11-17_9-7-42.png
    182.3 KB · Views: 9