Class of 2020 - Commitments & Draft

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Perfect Game moved Grenkoksi into the top 100 in their updated rankings. GT now has 3 top 100 players (Parada, Grenkoksi and Grissom) and the #10 class in the nation.

Up to #10 class by points. #24 by average stars.

The draft will impact who we see (duh). Mixed blessing to be in the top 100. Outside of Vandy and a few other schools, the top 100 go to the MLB. UCLA has McLain in OF. Dude was drafted and offered $2.4M. Definitely the exception to go to college since injuries happen. But he could get a big bump in a couple years if things go right. Just hard to see the median expected bump outweighing the additional signing bonus and three years of salary.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Up to #10 class by points. #24 by average stars.

The draft will impact who we see (duh). Mixed blessing to be in the top 100. Outside of Vandy and a few other schools, the top 100 go to the MLB. UCLA has McLain in OF. Dude was drafted and offered $2.4M. Definitely the exception to go to college since injuries happen. But he could get a big bump in a couple years if things go right. Just hard to see the median expected bump outweighing the additional signing bonus and three years of salary.

Wonder if UCLA has helped him out with an insurance policy. I know that’s becoming popular with factory football programs trying to convince draft eligible junior/seniors to stick around.

ball4life66

Helluva Engineer
Anytime we go out of state, especially up north, I feel pretty good about the player's potential.
Yep and always great to get the #1 player in any state. He’s now the 4th highest rated commit in the class...doesn’t look like he’s top 100 but this moves GT to #8 class in the nation according to Perfect Game.

Couple notes from Prep Baseball
3/19-3/25
Trippe Moore, OF/RHP, Mary Persons, 2020
The Georgia Tech-committed junior, Trippe Moore, starred at both the batter’s box and on the mound last week for 4A Mary Persons. He was 11-for-19 at the plate with three doubles, a triple, and three home runs, driving in 11 runs and scoring seven times, adding in four stolen bases. He also tossed a five-inning no-hitter against Howard in his lone start of the week, striking out four and walking just one along the way.

3/12-3/18
Brad Grenkoski, OF, Kell, 2020
The Longhorns’ seven-game win streak just ended last night in a close 3-2 loss to East Paulding, but Kell is 10-4 and still looks competitive, especially with junior Brad Grenkoski standing in the batter’s box. The Georgia Tech commit went 5-for-9 last week, including a 4-for-4, two-homer game against Carrollton. They’ve got East Paulding and Villa Rica back on the calendar this week, where Grenkoski will help the Longhorns spur another win streak.
https://www.prepbaseballreport.com/news/GA/GHSA-Diamond-Notes-312-to-318-8674350129

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Anytime we go out of state, especially up north, I feel pretty good about the player's potential.

Anytime we go out of state, I am also confident we are getting a very good player.

34 of 55 or; 62% of our players who made it to the MLB were from out of state. (Attached) These 55 players are over the last 110 years with most being recent.

Despite the vast majority of our players being from in state. I think this is typical of elite teams where the out of state players are better, on average, than in state. For GT, the Pell Grant scholarship has to influence a good but not MLB likely player to stay in state.

Attachments

• GT Players in MLB.pdf
    48.1 KB · Views: 21

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Anytime we go out of state, I am also confident we are getting a very good player.

34 of 55 or; 62% of our players who made it to the MLB were from out of state. (Attached) These 55 players are over the last 110 years with most being recent.

Despite the vast majority of our players being from in state. I think this is typical of elite teams where the out of state players are better, on average, than in state. For GT, the Pell Grant scholarship has to influence a good but not MLB likely player to stay in state.
Did you mean Hope Scholarship?

ball4life66

Helluva Engineer
Dylan Strickland, INF, Loganville, 2020

GEORGIA TECH

Strickland is an impressive looking 2020 prospect who is committed to Georgia Tech. Strickland was impressive in the matchup with Buford, particularly on defense, and shows solid range with good hands. He is a smart baseball player and makes good decisions. At the plate, he sets the tone for the Red Devils. He has a good approach and shows good balance at the plate with solid bat speed. Strickland has not grown into power yet, but has the size and frame to think it has a chance to be in there as he gets stronger.

https://www.prepbaseballreport.com/...-Recap-7940385612?r=/group/georgia-scout-blog

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

I never knew Jim Hearn played at GT.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
John Anderson IF/C R-R 5-11 170 Grayson, GA (Grayson)
Dawson Brown RHP R-R 6-1 170 Macon, GA (Tatnall Square)
Drew Byers SS R-R 6-1 178 Franklin, TN (Ensworth)
Jake Deleo, OF,Connecticut
Brad Grenkoski RHP R-R 6-4 195 Kennesaw, GA (Kell)
Marquis Grissom Jr. P/OF R-R 6-1 180 Atlanta, GA (Counterpane)
Kyle Hilton C R-R 6-0 190 Savannah, GA (Savannah Christian Prep)
Tervell Johnson OF R-R 5-11 180 Atlanta, GA (Mays)
Trippe Moore OF R-R 6-1 175 Forsyth, GA (Mary Persons)
Danny Neri C R-R 6-1 170 Macclenny, FL (Bishop Snyder)
Aaron Osada RHP R-R 6-4 215 Woodstock, GA (River Ridge)
Kevin Parada C R-R 6-0 185 Pasadena, CA (Loyola)
Josiah Siegel LHP L-L 6-1 195 Woodstock, GA (Woodstock)
Dylan Strickland SS R-R 6-0 170 Loganville, GA (Loganville)
Hank Thomas OF L-R 6-5 170 Oxford, OH (St. Xavier)
Austin Tienda OF R-L 6-3 175 Canton, GA (Sequoyah)
Tyler Watson LHP L-L 6-2 190 Johns Creek, GA (Johns Creek)

Looks like 5 from out-of-State? Any other commits?

Last edited:
John Anderson IF/C R-R 5-11 170 Grayson, GA (Grayson)
Dawson Brown RHP R-R 6-1 170 Macon, GA (Tatnall Square)
Drew Byers SS R-R 6-1 178 Franklin, TN (Ensworth)
Jake Deleo, OF,Connecticut
Brad Grenkoski RHP R-R 6-4 195 Kennesaw, GA (Kell)
Marquis Grissom Jr. P/OF R-R 6-1 180 Atlanta, GA (Counterpane)
Kyle Hilton C R-R 6-0 190 Savannah, GA (Savannah Christian Prep)
Tervell Johnson OF R-R 5-11 180 Atlanta, GA (Mays)
Trippe Moore OF R-R 6-1 175 Forsyth, GA (Mary Persons)
Danny Neri C R-R 6-1 170 Macclenny, FL (Bishop Snyder)
Aaron Osada RHP R-R 6-4 215 Woodstock, GA (River Ridge)
Kevin Parada C R-R 6-0 185 Pasadena, CA (Loyola)
Josiah Siegel LHP L-L 6-1 195 Woodstock, GA (Woodstock)
Dylan Strickland SS R-R 6-0 170 Loganville, GA (Loganville)
Hank Thomas OF L-R 6-5 170 Oxford, OH (St. Xavier)
Austin Tienda OF R-L 6-3 175 Canton, GA (Sequoyah)
Tyler Watson LHP L-L 6-2 190 Johns Creek, GA (Johns Creek)

Looks like 5 from out-of-State? Any other commits?

Sure are a lot of catchers. Wonder how easy it is to transition from catcher to 1st base if needed.