Christian Philpott

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Why doesn't uga have players who transfer? I guess they don't because you sure don't see that on uga's AJC page. Maybe there is so much happening at uga that transfers are not news. Maybe there is so little happening at Tech that transfers are news. Or, maybe the AJC figures that transfers look bad and, therefore, want to accentuate that at Tech and bury it at uga...
Green. And exactly what is the source we so casually use to assign reasons for a transfer? Was anybody in such a meeting? Is Johnson blabbing? Is Philpott blabbing? Or are we simply assuming we know something when we don't have a clue? Shoot, maybe the kid decided he didn't like Atlanta traffic.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
As a program, we are better off if the guys who are getting passed up move on, so we can recruit more kids and increase our chances of hitting on good players. SEC schools force kids out. We stand by our kids. But if it happens it happens. Let's sign more and find some diamonds.
I agree with what I think was your intent here, maybe if you edit to say "guys who are getting passed up who don't buy in to what we do, or don't want to put in the work to get better, etc". I think about guys like S Days and Perkins and Snoddy who a lot of fans gave up on, but they kept after it and became valuable to our program. We need kids like that too. Not everyone has to be a 3 or 4 year starter.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
1. Watching the sideline from row 6 west stands-below the shoulders 82 philpot is massive and about the same size as 42 the defensive end. He dwarfs Tyler Cooksey and whitehead. Something is wrong with that.

2. his HS film showed him to be very fast.

3. Maybe he will be a receiving tight end or slot receiver in air raid.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
1. Watching the sideline from row 6 west stands-below the shoulders 82 philpot is massive and about the same size as 42 the defensive end. He dwarfs Tyler Cooksey and whitehead. Something is wrong with that.

2. his HS film showed him to be very fast.

3. Maybe he will be a receiving tight end or slot receiver in air raid.
A dude that big and fast you line up
Outside imo, let him stretch the field out wide, not saying you couldn't bring him in as a slot receiver some though.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree with what I think was your intent here, maybe if you edit to say "guys who are getting passed up who don't buy in to what we do, or don't want to put in the work to get better, etc". I think about guys like S Days and Perkins and Snoddy who a lot of fans gave up on, but they kept after it and became valuable to our program. We need kids like that too. Not everyone has to be a 3 or 4 year starter.
Fair enough and you understood me well. I will never quit on a kid who is working, ever. If Philpott decided to stay and work even harder to reach his goals, I would be in full support.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think these kids want to play. With the exception of MM, none were getting the playing time they thought warranted the work they put it. Maybe they disagree with the coaches regarding the selection of other guys on the depth chart ahead of them. It doesn't really matter. A kid wanting to go school where he can actually play football is not a character flaw.

MeatWrench

Georgia Tech Fan
A dude that big and fast you line up
Outside imo, let him stretch the field out wide, not saying you couldn't bring him in as a slot receiver some though.

But if he can't/won't block in this O he isn't going to see the field. Being admittedly judgemental, track star WR and physical perimeter blocker don't mesh in my head well.

At the end of the day, as mentioned earlier in this thread it's all empty conjecture as only a few close to the situation know the why's behind the young man's decision. I wish him the best and it's too bad it didn't work out here.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
But if he can't/won't block in this O he isn't going to see the field. Being admittedly judgemental, track star WR and physical perimeter blocker don't mesh in my head well.

At the end of the day, as mentioned earlier in this thread it's all empty conjecture as only a few close to the situation know the why's behind the young man's decision. I wish him the best and it's too bad it didn't work out here.
I was talking in reply to a poster saying in an "air raid" offense they would put him at maybe slot or TE. I agree with what you are saying though.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, but by the argument on the board, he transferred and is a quitter. He wanted to play offense. Marshall wants to play more. A distinction with no difference.
There is a huge difference in the two, one is playing the position he wants to play the other who was RECRUITED as a RB was moved to CB. I'm not one of those calling Marshall a quitter though.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Yeah, but by the argument on the board, he transferred and is a quitter. He wanted to play offense. Marshall wants to play more. A distinction with no difference.
Your straw man game is skrong, but argument is weak. JJ was convinced to commit to ugh on false pretenses if he was told he'd be a RB. Marshall on the other hand was recruited at BB. Do you think any coach is going to tell a recruit they envision them splitting carries when you're trying to get a commitment?

Also I'm not calling Marshall a quitter, its his prerogative to leave if he isn't happy. Thanks for the last two years.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
There is a huge difference in the two, one is playing the position he wants to play the other who was RECRUITED as a RB was moved to CB. I'm not one of those calling Marshall a quitter though.
No difference at all, really. Except one transferred to Tech, the other away from. Players are switched all the time, and Johnson has proved a master at it, starting with an all-ACC center switched from DT I think. Them, bad. Us, good.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
No difference at all, really. Except one transferred to Tech, the other away from. Players are switched all the time, and Johnson has proved a master at it, starting with an all-ACC center switched from DT I think. Them, bad. Us, good.
Like I said I'm not saying he's a quitter, and while I wish he was still here it doesn't bother me that he has left. But I don't see how JJ and MM can be compared as the same. JJ was RECRUITED as a RB but moved to CB, MM was Recruited as a Bback and stayed at Bback. IF the rumors are true and MM is leaving for more playing time and not wanting to block as much, it is totally different than someone transfering because of a position switch. MM should have known coming in what would be asked of him and he was playing the position he wanted to play from his recruitment JJ was not playing the position he wanted to play from when he was recruited. And I agree cpj is good at switching players around but that honestly has nothing to do with what JJ was told or wanted from his recruiting, also a lot of kids know coming in to GT they could play two different positions so they come in willingly because it's something already understood during their recruiting. Not saying this is not the case with JJ but I would assume it's not or he might wouldn't have committed to UGA.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Like I said I'm not saying he's a quitter, and while I wish he was still here it doesn't bother me that he has left. But I don't see how JJ and MM can be compared as the same. JJ was RECRUITED as a RB but moved to CB, MM was Recruited as a Bback and stayed at Bback. IF the rumors are true and MM is leaving for more playing time and not wanting to block as much, it is totally different than someone transfering because of a position switch. MM should have known coming in what would be asked of him and he was playing the position he wanted to play from his recruitment JJ was not playing the position he wanted to play from when he was recruited. And I agree cpj is good at switching players around but that honestly has nothing to do with what JJ was told or wanted from his recruiting, also a lot of kids know coming in to GT they could play two different positions so they come in willingly because it's something already understood during their recruiting. Not saying this is not the case with JJ but I would assume it's not or he might wouldn't have committed to UGA.
I don't, but does anyone know what he was told when recruited? Mark Richt might have been UGA, but I never heard that he was a disreputable recruiter. But to me it is still irrelevant. It is big boy football and you go where you are needed. If you don't like it, or the amount of time you are needed, go somewhere else. I'm not going to think anything less of an 18-year-old for making a mistake or a bad assumption. Been there, done that. Haven't we all?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't, but does anyone know what he was told when recruited? Mark Richt might have been UGA, but I never heard that he was a disreputable recruiter. But to me it is still irrelevant. It is big boy football and you go where you are needed. If you don't like it, or the amount of time you are needed, go somewhere else. I'm not going to think anything less of an 18-year-old for making a mistake or a bad assumption. Been there, done that. Haven't we all?

Guys transfer out for whatever reason. Not sure why people are making such a huge deal about it. On the flipside, Lynn Griffin was recruited to play Safety here. Had to move to AB to get playing time. Does that mean our coaches lied to him to get him here? Nope, they just gave him the opportunity to get on the field faster somewhere else. The same thing happened at UGA, where he was actually recruited as an Athlete.

Let's not read to much into transfers and make it an indictment on one staff or another. Hopefully Christian finds a good fit athletically and academically wherever he ends up.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I really don't care who transfers in or out. It's part of the game. It's been part of the game for as long as the game's been around. However, to compare JJ transferring to MM transferring isn't an apples to apples comparison. Yes, on the basic level, neither was getting what they wanted, so they chose to go elsewhere. Beyond that, the comparison breaks down. Also, be careful about painting with broad brushes about the argument on the board.

I believe quiting on your teammates comes when you leave the team mid-season. As far as I'm concerned, because of the way the scholarships are set up, the obligation each way is 1-year, renewable. We all understand that there are coaches out there that use the 1-year obligation as a way to cull the less desirable players from their teams and coaches out there that will honor a four year commitment, regardless of whether that player will ever see the field. Generally, we know which coaches fit into which camp.

I have no issues with a player transferring out when they're not happy with their situation, regardless of their reason. Bottom line, for almost all of these kids, this will be then end of their playing career. If the writing's on the wall that they're going to be either riding the pine or getting significantly less playing time than they want, they should weigh their desire to play versus their desire to matriculate to that school. That's their choice, not ours. It's not fair to project your priorities onto someone else and then judge them lacking because you disagree with their choice.