Christian Philpott

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
No one wants to believe it was Paul has his own way of weeding out kids
Hmmm.... so when coach meets with each player at the end of the season and gives them his honest view of where they stand, he's really just weeding out the dead wood..... hmmm.....GENIUS!

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Why doesn't uga have players who transfer? I guess they don't because you sure don't see that on uga's AJC page. Maybe there is so much happening at uga that transfers are not news. Maybe there is so little happening at Tech that transfers are news. Or, maybe the AJC figures that transfers look bad and, therefore, want to accentuate that at Tech and bury it at uga...

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
they usually don't transfer in the same way because it's usually after they get kicked out for being arrested too many times

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Why doesn't uga have players who transfer? I guess they don't because you sure don't see that on uga's AJC page. Maybe there is so much happening at uga that transfers are not news. Maybe there is so little happening at Tech that transfers are news. Or, maybe the AJC figures that transfers look bad and, therefore, want to accentuate that at Tech and bury it at uga...
QB at Colorado St .... Bauta? Someone mentioned JJ already. And here's an oldie but goodie... John Dewberry. And I'm pretty sure there were several last year that Kirby said you can go anywhere except Miami.

slugboy

Staff member
I think we had it in another thread, but Alabama has three quarterbacks transferring out who should be able to start on most any D1 team in the country.

I don't like what this means for depth and special teams, but this is happening at a lot of places.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No one wants to believe it was Paul has his own way of weeding out kids
We have stuck with many players over the years with whom we would have been way better off had they moved on. I feel confident that the practice continues. For many kids today, getting passed on the depth chart is all it takes to decide to move on. You can't blame a coach for that. All you have to do is look at the recruiting class sizes to know what is going on. Routinely, SEC schools recruit all 25 spots EVERY YEAR. If you do the math and figure in 5 years to play 4, you will see the magnitude of what is going on when you have to hold the roster to 85. What has our average class been over the last 20 years, 18 signees? That is running off 35 fewer kids per 5 year recruiting cycle.

Deleted member 2897

It's a shame that he hasn't found his niche yet. He's one of my favorite players, and I think many would agree, that he is too talented to be buried at WR. I think CPJ realizes that he has something with MLD, but he hasn't quite cracked the code as to where he needs to be placed. I think once he finds a home he will be one of the biggest difference makers on the squad.

Yup, its a good problem in that we're deep. At AB, we've got Searcy, Lynch, Green, and Cottrell. Think about that! At BB, we've got Mills, Benson, Quaide, + recruits. At WR, we've got several. He's not really a great fit for any of them, but if you gave him a rating at each position, his average grade would probably put him near the top...like Jack of All Trades, Master of Nothing. That's how I see him unfortunately.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry to see Philpott move on. He looked to be a talented player.

But he got hurt and couldn't get better quickly. You can stick around if that happens; Marcus Allen has. The problem is that it makes it a lot harder to stick at one position and play. I really felt for Marcus during his career at Tech. I don't think there is any doubt that, when he was healthy, he was the most physically talented BB we had during his time at Tech. He is big, strong, fast, and he can run. Under normal circumstances, he would have moved into the position last year and florished. But he couldn't stay healthy, new players came in, and he kept getting moved to new positions. Result = he never saw the field long enough to cement a role. It looks like Philpott is in the same trap. I don't blame him for moving on and, as usual, I wish him good luck.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
We have stuck with many players over the years with whom we would have been way better off had they moved on. I feel confident that the practice continues. For many kids today, getting passed on the depth chart is all it takes to decide to move on. You can't blame a coach for that. All you have to do is look at the recruiting class sizes to know what is going on. Routinely, SEC schools recruit all 25 spots EVERY YEAR. If you do the math and figure in 5 years to play 4, you will see the magnitude of what is going on when you have to hold the roster to 85. What has our average class been over the last 20 years, 18 signees? That is running off 35 fewer kids per 5 year recruiting cycle.

We have ships that go unfilled every year dude. EVERY YEAR. your comparison has to normalize for that. We are 3-4 light in ships all the time. We could avg signing 21-22 a year and dont. But dont let me hold back from the cheerleading

And other schools stick with players too. But also weed out.

Lets not act like gt is some holy grail of pureness in college athletics. Paul has his way of doing things and its one reason why we turn over players each year. You guys can believe what you need to.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The idea that CPJ would weed out a kid as talented as Philpott who still has 3 years of eligibility left is kinda absurd.

Ok dude. So much talent he was told he cant crack the depth chart :)

You guys just keep ticking along. But we have 4-5 players each year that move on. Trend.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Hmmm.... so when coach meets with each player at the end of the season and gives them his honest view of where they stand, he's really just weeding out the dead wood..... hmmm.....GENIUS!

Cheese u are so stuck. I feel bad. Of course the way to weed out dead wood is be overly brutally honest vs other players where he may ease em along. Paul has his way.

Sorry the you all think gt is so pure. Lets not be naive. Paul is fair to everyone and brutally honest if he needs to be.

He doesnt pull ships like saban. But he knows how to get it done to drive a decision

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Ok dude. So much talent he was told he cant crack the depth chart :)

You guys just keep ticking along. But we have 4-5 players each year that move on. Trend.
He's a damn redshirt Freshmen coming off an injury. Of course he's not on the depth chart. If Paul told him anything it's that he's not going to crack the depth chart unless he buys in and blocks. If he leaves because of that I would call that weeding out. That's called not bull****ting the kid and letting him make a choice between learning to block, sitting on the bench, or leaving.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
He's a damn redshirt Freshmen coming off an injury. Of course he's not on the depth chart. If Paul told him anything it's that he's not going to crack the depth chart unless he buys in and blocks. If he leaves because of that I would call that weeding out. That's called not bull****ting the kid and letting him make a choice between learning to block, sitting on the bench, or leaving.

Oh where did i say paul is bull****ting kids. Paul uses his brutal honesty to weed out who and how he sees fit. Trend. Personally i love it and support it

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We have ships that go unfilled every year dude. EVERY YEAR. your comparison has to normalize for that. We are 3-4 light in ships all the time. We could avg signing 21-22 a year and dont. But dont let me hold back from the cheerleading

And other schools stick with players too. But also weed out.

Lets not act like gt is some holy grail of pureness in college athletics. Paul has his way of doing things and its one reason why we turn over players each year. You guys can believe what you need to.
So we're sitting at 81/82 schollies every year?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Oh where did i say paul is bull****ting kids. Paul uses his brutal honesty to weed out who and how he sees fit. Trend. Personally i love it and support it
I have no problem with that. I just don't think that's weeding out as much as going up to a kid and telling him to transfer or making a kid medically ineligible to play. If CPJ doesn't see Philpott working out and gives a brutally honest review of him, he still has the opportunity to decide he wants to make a change to his work ethic so it works out for both sides.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
As a program, we are better off if the guys who are getting passed up move on, so we can recruit more kids and increase our chances of hitting on good players. SEC schools force kids out. We stand by our kids. But if it happens it happens. Let's sign more and find some diamonds.

... catching up... this need to be read again ;)

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
like JJ Green?

tumblr_noenylQkFh1s8njeuo1_500.gif