Christian Philpott

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Count me as one who thought preseason that we needed someone like Philpott to emerge at WR in order to have more consistent success through the air. I was wrong.

I wish he stuck it out and didn't have the misfortune of injuries. But this is one position that looks good/stable going into next year regardless.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
Guy couldn't stay healthy, and as others mentioned...we've got good depth at wr. In fact, I don't remember the last time we've had this much quality depth.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Look, I haven't seen the kid play a snap. Let me state that first before I go on. However, my gut says this is nothing about injuries or talent. It is purely a matter of buying in to what we do in our system and committing to it. Anyone who watched his tape could see he had abilities beyond some who are playing ahead of him. Bottom line is this: 4 stars in HS are only low 2 stars in CFB if they don't keep working to improve. Hard work is a far better predictor of success than anything else in sports. Yes, you have to have a certain level of talent to even be out there in the first place, but......

If it were merely a matter of injuries, he would have no incentive to leave.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As a program, we are better off if the guys who are getting passed up move on, so we can recruit more kids and increase our chances of hitting on good players. SEC schools force kids out. We stand by our kids. But if it happens it happens. Let's sign more and find some diamonds.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I think I read that CPJ aid MLD was not moving back to B back, but no mention was made of A back. However, I'm not sure we really need him at A back
It's a shame that he hasn't found his niche yet. He's one of my favorite players, and I think many would agree, that he is too talented to be buried at WR. I think CPJ realizes that he has something with MLD, but he hasn't quite cracked the code as to where he needs to be placed. I think once he finds a home he will be one of the biggest difference makers on the squad.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Aw man! I really thought he would be a big piece of our offense. I liked Ricky Jeune's HS tape, and I thought Philpott's tape was better. Dude was his classification's POY, and a track champion.

I have no clue why it didn't work out, and I'm not going to speculate. Good luck CP.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I was really excited to see Philpott, but MAN he was never healthy. Dude had a hammy for 2 straight years. Hope he has success in his future, but as others have said, I'm not super worried. We still have Howell from that class, and I'm a big Dolphus guy, in addition to the other 3 (and MLD, wherever he ends up)

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Bottom line is he couldn't stay healthy, then he put on weight, got really stiff, and lost his speed, so he moved to the back of the line of our WR's. There was a lot of hope for him coming in because he timed well, and there was hope he would be the one who could stretch the field for us, but some players have a more difficult time with injuries and he's, apparently, one of them.

On the positive side, we signed WR's in the last Class, including one who actually passed him and saw Varsity action, and another who saw a Red Shirt who is a burner...

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
There are two paths to the NFL: being a collegiate star or being a Combine star. The first path is obvious. Everyone sees them on Saturdays. The second path is by waiting your turn, performing when you get your chance, working hard to get better every day and being the best you can be by Combine Day. A wide receiver track star who can really showcase his talents in front of the Combine scouts will catch their eyes and get a chance to play on Sundays. Maybe no one told CP about the second route...

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I think I read that CPJ aid MLD was not moving back to B back, but no mention was made of A back. However, I'm not sure we really need him at A back
The interview conversation was around the B Back position and someone asked if MLD would move to B. CPJ said no, that IF he moved anywhere it would be back to A.