Chick-fil-A Kickoff Postgame Discussion

Yella-Britches

Georgia Tech Fan
Defense wasn't that, that, that terrible. Certainly have seen worse before.

Kicking game is a disaster.
I saw soooo many good things. Yes - our kicking and coverage teams are a disaster right now but the Defense shut them down how many times? We have a quarterback - and he is a good one! And for the majority of the game - an OL.
Turnovers lost that game. Turnovers. Simple as that and the very best team that turns over the ball to allow 14 points is going to risk a win.
Very disappointed in the outcome but I see a bright season ahead.
Go Jackets!!!
THWG!!!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I saw soooo many good things. Yes - our kicking and coverage teams are a disaster right now but the Defense shut them down how many times? We have a quarterback - and he is a good one! And for the majority of the game - an OL.
Turnovers lost that game. Turnovers. Simple as that and the very best team that turns over the ball to allow 21 points is going to risk a win.
Very disappointed in the outcome but I see a bright season ahead.
Go Jackets!!!
THWG!!!
I call it 21 because we about to score a td when JJ lost the ball. Reminded me of the mutt game in '14 when we stripped the ball from them at the one right before they crossed the goal line. Karma?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This was the game to earn respect! We blew it and I'm pissed.
Naw, we earned a ton of respect last night. The teams on our schedule are less confident going against us than they were before the game. We have a QB. We have a Bback. We have an OL. We have Abacks and wr's. We can score points.

We have no kicking game. D looked good for 2.5 qtrs then completely tanked.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
That was one helluva game last night, Im pissed we lost but at the end of the day its Game 1 and we still have a full season in front of us. When I see posters on here already calling for the doom and gloom of the season I'm kind of miffed.
What I saw last night is that we have a damn good QB right now. I was expecting MJ to be it, but Marshall is great.
Benson is a beast and we have the CPJ dive back or death march.
Defense started pretty great, but got soft 2nd half... no reason for that.

What killed us last night was special teams / field goals and getting sloppy when we shouldn't.
How we have such a crappy kicker is beyond me. Hopefully he will get better, but man I miss Butker right now

Just remember again this was only game 1 of the season. If we can get special teams figured out I think this season is going to be pretty awesome

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Defense appeared to play well in the first half but most of the stops were a result of some very poor throws (to open receivers) and a lot of dropped balls (some as a result of hits after contact by the DBs). There again was very little pass rush. The kicking game put us in bad field position and cost us points and the kickoff exchanges really hurt our field position. Our O played great for the most part and overcame most of the other problems, but when we needed a play on D we did not get it. The bad tackling late in the game sure looked like we were tired (but should not have been).

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I can't read all these posts...too many tears to wade through.

O balled out but those turnovers hurt. We have to protect the ball. If we had we'd have won.

Special teams stank. One shanked punt, poor kickoffs, missed tackles covering returns, extra points that barely got over the los, and 2 terrible field goal attempts. ST gets an F.

It's stupid in any game to judge a unit by anything less than the whole game. The D benefited from UT dropping some catchable balls in the first half, but also made some good plays and got our O the ball back for the most part. I didn't see huge scheme changes causing our D woes in the 2nd half. I saw guys taking bad angles, peeking in the backfield not setting the edge, a lot of subpar play that wasn't scheme related. We couldn't stop #4 after the half. That was our failure on D. His playmaking is what we needed to adjust for.

Give UT credit for making plays on their end when they needed to. They played a clean game with no turnovers and few penalties. Their special teams were good...punter, kicker, coverage, and returns all made a big difference for them.

All in all, even with all of the above, we shoulda won. Woulda won if our fg unit was even average. But they weren't we were not able to overcome our other failings. Good exciting football game we came up short in. If you're having difficulty with it you might wanna check your manhood and make sure it's all still there.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Slept on it, but still mad about the result. I guess the issue is that no matter how many wins we get this season, I'm still going to say, "Should have been one more..." 9-3 is good, but 10-2 sounds so much sweeter. Oh well. I hope the players are better about putting this game out of their mind than I am. Roll to 4-1 and beat Miami.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Still kinda sick to my stomach considering we gave that game away.

Am I the only one concerned about Durham at CB? Ball-skills and awareness seem to be underdeveloped considering he's been here a while.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
My thoughts not that it matters
1) Our OL played very well
2) My biggest surprise was how well Taquon Marshall run our offense ( would not have been my pick but like most of us said CPJ will pick the right one )
3) I see no drop off at B-back Benson and Weimerskirch did a fine job.
4) We have a punter ( which I hope we don't need much)
5) MBS is nice food was cheap but I would still rather play a our place
6) I thought our fans did a good job being loud ( but trying to get them all to wear one color ain't going to happen )
7) Defense played fine the first half ( but when your offense keeps ball as much as ours did your defense should look good )
8) We still can't not Blitz or get pressure on the QB ( Not should why our LB's have to run up to the LOS before the snap to get a blitz away )
9) kicking ( best not to say anything just need to hope we don't need a FG at the end of the game) pretty sure CPJ will go for it on 4th down and not try many FG's
10) this loss hurt to be up by 14 in the 4th you should not lose.
last it was the first game I still think we will have a good season . Kicking will be a problem , defense did show signs that they could play better. And I have no problem going for 2 at the end of the game.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Our D has got to figure out a way to make a play on the other side of the LOS. They did not put them in a play behind the chains IIRC. I know Roof is not a gambler, but when you are 2 scores up and they can't stop your O , you go for the kill by making a play to put them in 3rd and long and set their new QB up to make a mistake. Do it early in the game, don't let him get more confifent as the game goes on.
Anyway , lots of good things to see. Tennessee always has good players on offense, probably better than most. But we can't hope to win every game 43 -42.