Channel 11 sports- Jeff Hullinger!!!!!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
… I just hate to see us come into a season unprepared at such an important position. We should be consistently recruiting two years ahead of our needs in these areas rather than just waiting until the guy who's been a stud is about to graduate and then just dealing with whatever we end up with in game one.
Well, to be fair here, we did successfully recruit the best place kicker in the country last year only to have him lured away at the last minute by the Great Satan. No doubt Bulovas was feeling the pain on Monday while thinking of what might have been.

Also, I think King will prove to be just what we need after he gets completely healthy. Or - you never know - maybe Davis will get over his jitters and get back in form. But I'm betting on King, despite the way groin pulls tend to - heh, heh - cramp your style.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Bill Buckner. People don't remember he was a batting champion, All Star and one of the best hitters in baseball history.

Or Calvin Schiraldi's wild pitch earlier in the inning. Or that the Sox led 3-0 in the 5th in the next game before melting down.
Buckner also was a good base stealer until he broke his ankle with the Dodgers.
The kicker didn't need to be in that spot with the game on his foot. The two fumbles and the low block call (I never saw the replay so I can't testify as to the call's validity) could have been avoided and negated the need for a game winning kick.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Oof, I'm not so sure. 2009 - 2012 was pretty abysmal on special teams, if I recall correctly. So bad that Johnson actually hired a special teams coach for a while. It definitely got better, but it pretty much seems to go up and down with the ability of the kicker and punter. Sure, blocked kicks and punts are great, but they just don't impact a game as often as kickoffs, field goals, and punts. Punting has been pretty spotty most years under CPJ, and if you look at the years Butker wasn't here you could say the same thing about the kicking game.

Right now I'm worried it's regressed in a very bad way...

The running argument that kickers and punters shouldn't consume multiple scholarships is just plain stupid. We talk about depth all the time...well I can almost guarantee you that losing your starting kicker is more detrimental to your team than losing your starting DT, LB, OG, OT, etc. I just hate to see us come into a season unprepared at such an important position. We should be consistently recruiting two years ahead of our needs in these areas rather than just waiting until the guy who's been a stud is about to graduate and then just dealing with whatever we end up with in game one.
True. It's like insurance, you don't need it, until you need it. Of course johnson's only concerned with making sure his offense has what it needs.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I know what you're saying, but the answer is basically "George O'Leary".

Eh, not really fair. Most head coaches, even if they are defensively minded, still have to be a head coach and can't serve as the coordinator as well. Johnson is probably more of the exception than the rule.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Well, to be fair here, we did successfully recruit the best place kicker in the country last year only to have him lured away at the last minute by the Great Satan. No doubt Bulovas was feeling the pain on Monday while thinking of what might have been.

Also, I think King will prove to be just what we need after he gets completely healthy. Or - you never know - maybe Davis will get over his jitters and get back in form. But I'm betting on King, despite the way groin pulls tend to - heh, heh - cramp your style.

But you're missing the point. Your goal should not be for your kicker for the upcoming season to arrive on campus in August. Even if Bulovas was considered to be great, you don't know what you have until he shows up. We probably should have recruited a kicker in 2016. If he doesn't play, redshirt him...but at least you've got one in line

northgajacket

Banned
True. Funny, in this town, I can't see how folks can hate Hullinger when we've always had a perfectly good Dowdle to hate with every fiber of our being.

I rejoice whenever I see those shots of him on the dawgs' sideline wearing red while our guys were running all over them. I mean, at least give the appearance of impartiality considering we're (allegedly) among your customers too.

That would require professionalism.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Have you ever seen the postgame WAGA newscast from the 1990 UVA game, they are trying their best to be impartial but are sick inside. It's still weird to me that WAGA was a CBS affiliate back then.
Yeah it was like GT winning big during a game during the week of the UGAG-Florida game and only getting a little article in the AJC while UGAG losing 38-7 covered the whole page.

northgajacket

Banned
Yeah it was like GT winning big during a game during the week of the UGAG-Florida game and only getting a little article in the AJC while UGAG losing 38-7 covered the whole page.

Playing devil's advocate here. That week the game against Virginia Tech was 6-3, I doubt there was much to right about. Plus all the excuses uga made that year for their season could fill up a page ( our players are flunking out, our top LB got arrested for selling crack, etc.)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
But you're missing the point. Your goal should not be for your kicker for the upcoming season to arrive on campus in August. Even if Bulovas was considered to be great, you don't know what you have until he shows up. We probably should have recruited a kicker in 2016. If he doesn't play, redshirt him...but at least you've got one in line
Well, yews, but think about it. Our place kicker in 2016 was Butker and whoever we picked up would be 3 down in the depth chart behind him and Davis. We might have gotten somebody, but they wouldn't have been the caliber of Bulovas or King; why come to Tech to ride the pines? Both of our eventual targets were top nationally ranked kickers . We got them because they had a reasonable chance to start as freshmen. It'd be nice to think that we could recruit a great place kicker every year, like Bama, but that isn't going to happen.

But I think our problem will last about as long as King's groin pull. Hope I'm right. Wish you were.