CGC Post Game Interview

Animal02

Banned
Guys and gals, we are at a cross roads in determining if GT will ever be a significant player in P5 football ever again. We now have an AD, a head coach, and coaching staff that took on the challenge to rebuild our program knowing full well it would be a difficult task to say the least. We are all disappointed about this season, but if you love GT football, you will at least give these men a decent chance at a successful rebuild by giving your full support for the next 3 years, as that is how long this will take. If you can't do that, then I hope you at least STFU!

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk
Ah...the olds "if you don't agree with me , shut up" stance, common with those that cannot back up their own arguments.....
BTW.....the "rebuild" is a self inflicted shot to the foot

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Guys and gals, we are at a cross roads in determining if GT will ever be a significant player in P5 football ever again. We now have an AD, a head coach, and coaching staff that took on the challenge to rebuild our program knowing full well it would be a difficult task to say the least. We are all disappointed about this season, but if you love GT football, you will at least give these men a decent chance at a successful rebuild by giving your full support for the next 3 years, as that is how long this will take. If you can't do that, then I hope you at least STFU!

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how to read this. I did turnarounds in Corporate and if I told my boss, "Check back with me in three years and if you can't do that STFU" I'd been fired.

No. You have weekly, monthly, and quarterly reviews on EVERYTHING. Recruiting, development, APR, support, operations, strategy, staffing, etc. Geoff could do himself a big favor by trying to bring the fanbase with him instead of "We're building an elite program here, so check back with me in 3 years."

Animal02

Banned
The problem is this ... players want to play against their friends. Take 5 guys on a Georgia HS team that are being recruited. Two go to GA, one to Auburn and one to Florida. Does one go to Tech? No ... our opponents are too far away to draw any local fans in volume and he's playing against people he doesn't know, coaches included.

Pat Dye. Played at GA, coached at Bama, head coach at Auburn. Dooley. Played at Auburn, coached at Auburn, HC at GA. I could go on and on ... kids know the football history of the area and know BS when they hear it.

I hope I'm wrong. But I see this every day in West GA and East Alabama ... football is part of these kids' lives and they are pretty damn smart about it.
Maybe it is different in Ga. Here in Mich. not as much. Maybe things have changed since I went through the process.....playing against friends wasn't on the radar for me or anyone else I played with.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Maybe it is different in Ga. Here in Mich. not as much. Maybe things have changed since I went through the process.....playing against friends wasn't on the radar for me or anyone else I played with.

These are very small towns and football is king. Everyone knows everyone. It's not uncommon to walk into a pizza joint and see GA players, TN players, FL players all having pizza together because they are home for the weekend. Tight community.

Animal02

Banned
These are very small towns and football is king. Everyone knows everyone. It's not uncommon to walk into a pizza joint and see GA players, TN players, FL players all having pizza together because they are home for the weekend. Tight community.
I grew up in a town of 1500.....one traffic light. ( Western PA.). Most of us could not wait to get out of there.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
But but but, he has a 7 year contract.:rolleyes:

That's why I was thinking last night ... "Has a Tech AD ever been fired?" and I can't think of one. There's no accountability. Peterson famously said, "My only responsibility to Tech athletics is to hire the AD." That builds winning programs?

Like I said, TStan should be having breakfast with Geoff and giving him and rear end chewing today. And then, he should have lunch with Cabrera who does the same to him. Can you imagine who might have been in the President's Suite yesterday and watching this debacle and being asked, "Hey Prez, is this how you guys run your research programs?'

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I grew up in a town of 1500.....one traffic light. ( Western PA.). Most of us could not wait to get out of there.

Ironically, a lot come back. Pat Dye lives here. Gene Chizik. Many of the ball players have ranches outside of town. Hunting clubs. Like I said ... very tight community.

Animal02

Banned
That's why I was thinking last night ... "Has a Tech AD ever been fired?" and I can't think of one. There's no accountability. Peterson famously said, "My only responsibility to Tech athletics is to hire the AD." That builds winning programs?

Like I said, TStan should be having breakfast with Geoff and giving him and rear end chewing today. And then, he should have lunch with Cabrera who does the same to him. Can you imagine who might have been in the President's Suite yesterday and watching this debacle and being asked, "Hey Prez, is this how you guys run your research programs?'
Unlike you and many others, I observe most things from a distance simply based on where I live. I see more news wrt Tech that filters through the national services and not the local rags. IMO, the optics with TStan have not been that good. .. women's basketball, men's and football not far behind. I feel a little better about him hearing from posters like you.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm not sure how to read this. I did turnarounds in Corporate and if I told my boss, "Check back with me in three years and if you can't do that STFU" I'd been fired.

No. You have weekly, monthly, and quarterly reviews on EVERYTHING. Recruiting, development, APR, support, operations, strategy, staffing, etc. Geoff could do himself a big favor by trying to bring the fanbase with him instead of "We're building an elite program here, so check back with me in 3 years."

I agree with your premise. I don't get how coaches (not only this one but the prior 2) don't leverage the fan base more. We WANT these guys to be succesful. I think it would be simple and extremely useful to just share more information about your goals/strategies/ and progress. Tell us what is going well and where you are not on schedule. How will you address that? It should be doable without too much trouble because you should have this at your fingertips. Maybe these guys all coached where this wasn't a requirement but the GT fan base is different. Do the WaHo/Twitter/social media stuff for the young fans and recruits. But have a different plan for the older ones who pay a large chunk of the bills.

This feeling that the fans are annoying (not saying that I anm getting that vibe from GGC yet) and should be avoided/talked down to has always rubbed me the wrong way. Embrace the fans!!!

Animal02

Banned
Ironically, a lot come back. Pat Dye lives here. Gene Chizik. Many of the ball players have ranches outside of town. Hunting clubs. Like I said ... very tight community.
We get together every 5 years at reunions. Almost all the successful people are nowhere near the place....a few that followed family businesses, dentists etc, and ones that went into teaching, but that is about it.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
The problem is this ... players want to play against their friends. Take 5 guys on a Georgia HS team that are being recruited. Two go to GA, one to Auburn and one to Florida. Does one go to Tech? No ... our opponents are too far away to draw any local fans in volume and he's playing against people he doesn't know, coaches included.

Pat Dye. Played at GA, coached at Bama, head coach at Auburn. Dooley. Played at Auburn, coached at Auburn, HC at GA. I could go on and on ... kids know the football history of the area and know BS when they hear it.

I hope I'm wrong. But I see this every day in West GA and East Alabama ... football is part of these kids' lives and they are pretty damn smart about it.
Highest ranked Recruting class since 2007 gets here in a few months. Not sure why you have pushed this narrative since he was hired you’re way off. Collins is here to rebuild the team with the trail and the portal and then develop them. I don’t remember Collins saying he was finna come in and win games right away, I also remember the whole country expecting Tech to suck this year but for some reason our fans are so surprised.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
The GT HC job is for tough hombres, and maybe CGC is one, but my spidey senses have told me from the start he is a great marketeer, but I was never sure he had the toughness required. It is one of the most difficult jobs in division 1 football. Bobby Ross was a tough hombre, Coach O'Leary was a tough hombre, and CPJ was a very tough ombre. The jury is out, but today's comment about Temple really is stupid. I like guys who shoot straight and say things the way they are, but politicians don't do that.

You are right but all the ones you mentioned did the exact same thing, they left. Ross and O’Leary used their records/success here as a stepping stone and CPJ simply retired. There has to be something behind the scenes that are indicating to the coaches that the school isn’t serious about wholesale change, recommitment to athletics or our past sports excellence. If you don’t feel your boss is on your side you don’t see a reason to stay.

I don’t know what it is but it’s not T Stan, it’s higher. President, faculty, Board of Regents someone is putting a vibe out or much worse, someone is working against T Stan/ADs behind the scene.

I was once directed by the very top level in my office to work with IT and bring a system in that was modern and tracked work assignments, production levels and live location of files. I found out that a supervisor was directing them not to write the programs I was requesting because he had control of the old way we did things. When I informed the boss of this the boss was hesitant at best to confront the supervisor who was ultimately undercutting the directives I was being given, he won the game by stopping most of the new methods.

Human nature is to protect your own interest, someone at Tech is doing this and politics makes responding to established/ tenured 2nd level management effectively ( who are living their lives behind the scenes In the shadows ) very hard.

Someone at Tech disagrees with T Stan and opposes his moves and attempts from behind the scene

Last edited:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Highest ranked Recruting class since 2007 gets here in a few months. Not sure why you have pushed this narrative since he was hired you’re way off. Collins is here to rebuild the team with the trail and the portal and then develop them. I don’t remember Collins saying he was finna come in and win games right away, I also remember the whole country expecting Tech to suck this year but for some reason our fans are so surprised.

A previous poster made the comment that Honesty was a key driver in recruiting. My "narrative" as you call it was to simply say that another driver is playing against your friends, particularly if your goal is to recruit more or less in state. If Collins can address that and get great players, bully for him.

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
CBR did not win until he got soma players in here and he would not win with this team either. What div 1 players on the team are young and until CGC brings in 2 or 3 classes it won’t get much better.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Coaches never saw anything worthwhile anymore in press conferences......(almost never)...whether it is Saban, Sweeney, Collins, or Smart...all now speak "Coach-Speak".....(it was one reason I always liked CPJ, he was less prone to that than any of today's coaches....)

stech81

Helluva Engineer
You may want to wait and see who does sign . but remember you still have to coach them up.