CGC on 929 this morning

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I haven't had time to look it up, but evidently Dabo said some things yesterday that did not sit well with the national media. He was getting dragged pretty hard. Anyone listened to what he said?

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
I haven't had time to look it up, but evidently Dabo said some things yesterday that did not sit well with the national media. He was getting dragged pretty hard. Anyone listened to what he said?
Essentially that he is a simple Christian man and these issues are tied to sin. He didn't spit out some canned statement that was created by PR, but ultimately he didn't say much to show his support for the cause. This is the norm for Dabo though.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I watched a clip of his presser. He just basically said he doesnt agree with rioting and looting. A sentiment 99.9 % of us all agree on. The media took the chance to run with it and twisted it as usual.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
CGC has a great pedigree. When CPJ retired, I wanted someone with his pedigree b/c he’s had access to a good recruiting network and assistant coaches. It’s very clear he’s learned the nuances of building / operating a program.

We’ll see what happens on offense this year. I put it on us to donate more $$ so he can hire the best assistant coaches. If we want a top-end OC, we need to be able to pay close to $1M/year. With the right comp package, I believe we could get someone.
One thing us fans have to remember is that CGC has only been a head coach for 3 years. There is a lot of learning on the job in that profession. I think he has a lot of the intangibles that can make him successful. We will have to live through some questionable decisions, time management blunders, etc. As long as he improves with experience I am ok with that.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Former Clemson players on Twitter saying Dabo discouraged his players from joining an on-campus peaceful sit-in to “limit distractions.” Also, multiple former players claiming a Clemson Assistant Coach called a player the n-word during practice and there was no team apology.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
The twitter reaction to dabo is quite unflattering for him.

I understand him not wanting to take stand b/c he wants to be all about his business. I think it’s clear that people are expecting football coaches, much like CEOs in Corp America, to take a stand. Complain whether that should or shouldn’t be the case - but it’s where we are.

But pretty not cool to avoid reprimanding or requiring a team apology for that assistant coach’s racial slur.

The twitter reaction to dabo is quite unflattering for him.

I understand him not wanting to take stand b/c he wants to be all about his business. I think it’s clear that people are expecting football coaches, much like CEOs in Corp America, to take a stand. Complain whether that should or shouldn’t be the case - but it’s where we are.

But pretty not cool to avoid reprimanding or requiring a team apology for that assistant coach’s racial slur.
IF that is true.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
While there are some legit issues, cry me a river about a coach wanting you to cut your hair. Systemic racism in college football?!? Yeah, white dudes really have a lockdown on college football.
It’s one thing for a coach to want players to cut their hair, it’s a completely different thing for a coach to only want a player with long dreads to cut their hair. I don’t know the details with the Pitt coach, but it seems like he wasn’t asking all players with long hair, just certain ones.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Guys and gals, let's not let this thread spiral down. This thread should only be about how out in front of this our coach has been. I'm proud our coach is out on front on this, I just wish he was being listened to by many others outside of here.

Let's not bash who did or didnt do this or that from other schools. We know how quickly things can change. Let's get behind our coach and AD for taking a stand when many many in their field stayed silent or didnt treat it with the respect and understanding it deserves.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
While there are some legit issues, cry me a river about a coach wanting you to cut your hair. Systemic racism in college football?!? Yeah, white dudes really have a lockdown on college football.

It's racially biased. By itself, I don't make much of it, but he should be called out on it.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
There have been numerous instances across the country of policies about things like hair that disproportionately affect minorities. Asking someone to cut their dreads off is a huge deal.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
There have been numerous instances across the country of policies about things like hair that disproportionately affect minorities. Asking someone to cut their dreads off is a huge deal.

I have to laugh. Ken Stabler complained to Bear Bryant about hair length too. Everything moves in cycles.