CGC on 929 this morning

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Especially with so many Caucasian coaches getting called out publicly on ESPN, et al, for not speaking out. TStan, and I can't believe I'm typing this, and the Great Satan at Bammer were also out front on this.

I can only imagine what would happen if the George Floyd death had happened in Birmingham, Jackson, or Atlanta & not a liberal bastion in the upper midwest.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
If CGC wasn't sincere, the players would have called him out by now. I believe more and more each day that we got a diamond in rough. It will take time to finish polishing, but the end result will be amazing!

Why do you characterize him as a diamond in the rough? He was DC at Miss St and UF, which is two more P5 coaching jobs than either of our last 2 head coaches had. He was also tutored by O'Leary and Saban, guys who know how to run a program. With deep ATL roots, recruiting ability, and prior experience at GT, we got the right guy.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Why do you characterize him as a diamond in the rough? He was DC at Miss St and UF, which is two more P5 coaching jobs than either of our last 2 head coaches had. He was also tutored by O'Leary and Saban, guys who know how to run a program. With deep ATL roots, recruiting ability, and prior experience at GT, we got the right guy.
By "diamond in the rough", I would assume he meant that CGC has not broken through on the head coaching level, but he is certain that he will.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
You want to read a remarkable statement fro the sports world on the Minneapolis incident? Try Frank Reich's.
No criticism of CGC implied here - I'm just recommending folks read what Reich had to say.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Really good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

The bad stuff in life often gets sensationalized because the media has an agenda, and bad stuff often draws more eyes...but there's a LOT of good stuff in this world that gets overlooked.

In another thread I talked about how police and demonstrators all want the same thing, and a show of solidarity by police and demonstrators would do a lot more than being on opposing sides. This is just another example of that. Super proud of being a GT fan and graduate to see one of our own taking the lead, listening to one of the demonstrators, and acting on it...and other police followed along with the people. That's just good stuff that should be played on a loop.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
The bad stuff in life often gets sensationalized because the media has an agenda, and bad stuff often draws more eyes...but there's a LOT of good stuff in this world that gets overlooked.

In another thread I talked about how police and demonstrators all want the same thing, and a show of solidarity by police and demonstrators would do a lot more than being on opposing sides. This is just another example of that. Super proud of being a GT fan and graduate to see one of our own taking the lead, listening to one of the demonstrators, and acting on it...and other police followed along with the people. That's just good stuff that should be played on a loop.

Agree with you.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer

With his pedigree, for some reason the "factory schools" passed on him. Went from $ec defense coordinator to an aac defense coordinator. Then to here. We didnt pluck him from a factory. How many interviews did he take after his second year at temple?

Point is, reguardless, we got a good one.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
With his pedigree, for some reason the "factory schools" passed on him. Went from $ec defense coordinator to an aac defense coordinator. Then to here. We didnt pluck him from a factory. How many interviews did he take after his second year at temple?

Point is, reguardless, we got a good one.
Just a bit of clarification, he was never a coordinator at Temple. He was hired to be there head coach out of his position as Florida’s DC. That’s a pretty standard journey for a coach on the way up

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
CGC certainly is playing the part of a Tech man. He must be as real and genuine as it gets. As much as some on here hate his “coach speak” interviews and press conferences, he’s not your coach. He’s here for these kids

I was very critical of CGC's coaching abilities last season, and I MIGHT end up being so again this season, but after seeing how he recruits and, probably more importantly, what he said in that interview, I am definitely PROUD that he is our coach. His remarks were good for Georgia Tech as a school, and for Georgia Tech football, and probably all Tech sports. Go get 'em, coach !!!

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Just a bit of clarification, he was never a coordinator at Temple. He was hired to be there head coach out of his position as Florida’s DC. That’s a pretty standard journey for a coach on the way up
CGC has a great pedigree. When CPJ retired, I wanted someone with his pedigree b/c he’s had access to a good recruiting network and assistant coaches. It’s very clear he’s learned the nuances of building / operating a program.

We’ll see what happens on offense this year. I put it on us to donate more $$ so he can hire the best assistant coaches. If we want a top-end OC, we need to be able to pay close to $1M/year. With the right comp package, I believe we could get someone.