CGC on 929 this morning

GT_EE78

Banned
great to support the team,players and community. The AJC articles about CGC and Tstan statements made no mention of condemning the senseless violence which occurred during some of these protests.Hopefully , AJC just missed it and it was there. Such statements would ring hollow if that was neglected.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
great to support the team,players and community. The AJC articles about CGC and Tstan statements made no mention of condemning the senseless violence which occurred during some of these protests.Hopefully , AJC just missed it and it was there. Such statements would ring hollow if that was neglected.

I think it should be noted the both ADTS and CGC tweeted on Friday before the destruction of property and looting started (at least in Atlanta). It should also be noted they spoke up before it became the popular/required thing to do among college and pro coaches and organizations. That took guts, and I think it shows their words aren't hollow like some of the other statements we've seen over the last 4-5 days.

So that's why the AJC "made no mention" of the condemnation.

And honestly, while I'm sure they don't condone it, I don't think they need to condemn it. Hear me out on this. IMO, they are speaking up for their student-athletes, none of whom are involved in wrongdoing. There are lots of people who have a platform to make a difference in condemning that aspect of what's happening, people like political leaders, pro athletes, etc. Killer Mike's words were tremendous on Friday night.

My point is that no one is looking for Todd Stansbury or Geoff Collins for cues on whether or not to loot, but their student-athletes and Georgia Tech community is looking to them to stand up for what's right for the young men and women under their care. Proud of them using their voices to stand on the right side of history.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Notice how quiet the school 80 miles away has been. Ken has put out several articles and there have been none from their writers.

Could this prove beneficial in recruiting? Are the big money donors telling smart and the AD to not stir the pot?

Just an observation I realized this morning scanning the AJC app.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Notice how quiet the school 80 miles away has been. Ken has put out several articles and there have been none from their writers.

Could this prove beneficial in recruiting? Are the big money donors telling smart and the AD to not stir the pot?

This may be too naive but I'm guessing UGA isn't willing to stick their necks out. Probably easier to take the criticism of staying silent rather than the criticism of taking a stand.

What's been striking to me is that not only has Coach Collins been vocal about supporting his players, but the players have been vocal about the support they get from the coaches. At Clemson and now FSU, that hasn't been the case.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

There have been stories about Clemson's lack of communication. The new FSU coach has been called out by an FSU player for stating that he had one-on-one back and forth with every player, while the player says that neither he and every player that he talked to only received one group text from the coach. It appears that GT's approach, from ADTS down to football, men's BB, women's BB, etc., is better at reaching out to the student athletes.

Whether it will help recruiting or not is a difficult question. The news cycle will have moved to something else by the Fall and Winter. (Not to say that current issues won't be important then, but they won't be front and center.) Are 2021 and then 2022 recruits going to remember which coach said what during this situation? Will the coaches' support be important compared to slides, bowling allies, and promises of playing for national championships? I think it will be different for different recruits.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer

Probably, but I really don't think anything they are doing is motivated by recruiting. Certainly CGC and crew won't miss the opportunity to advertise the brand, but if it's not in the slightest bit false advertisement then that's only a good thing.

RE: donations, I can certainly see some of our more influential donors not liking the look. I hope that isn't an impediment. We don't seem to be proselytizing so much as supporting healthy societal growth and our SAs participation in something which clearly matters to them. I'm sure there will be people inspired by these actions to donate. Personally, they got $1000 from me yesterday as a direct result.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Probably, but I really don't think anything they are doing is motivated by recruiting. Certainly CGC and crew won't miss the opportunity to advertise the brand, but if it's not in the slightest bit false advertisement then that's only a good thing.

RE: donations, I can certainly see some of our more influential donors not liking the look. I hope that isn't an impediment. We don't seem to be proselytizing so much as supporting healthy societal growth and our SAs participation in something which clearly matters to them. I'm sure there will be people inspired by these actions to donate. Personally, they got $1000 from me yesterday as a direct result.

It was NOT done for recruiting purposes. CGC isn't fake enough to do that (ahemfsuahem). But When you do good things, good things happen. Just was wondering yalls opinion.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Tech's big-dollar donors are very different than the UGA big-dollar donors. They aren't going to have any problem with the 'look' and good riddance if they do. There's a school in Athens where they'd fit in better.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Guys and gals, let's not let this thread spiral down. This thread should only be about how out in front of this our coach has been. I'm proud our coach is out on front on this, I just wish he was being listened to by many others outside of here.

Let's not bash who did or didnt do this or that from other schools. We know how quickly things can change. Let's get behind our coach and AD for taking a stand when many many in their field stayed silent or didnt treat it with the respect and understanding it deserves.

As the days have gone by, I don't think our fans realize how big of a step CGC and our athletics department took...and they're still doing it. It seems like the past few days companies, schools, coaches have been dragged by appearances to make some kind of statement. CGC and GT did it without being prompted to by social media pressure. SAs can spot fake, and as we've seen with FSU and Clemson, if you don't practice what you preach you quickly lose the respect of the people you're suppose to lead.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

No this will not be beneficial in recruiting.

And, although i missed it, I heard 92.9 talking favorably about the statement smart & and the school President had just released.

God we never learn and decade after freaking decade come up with some pie in the sky hope that some happening is magically going to turn things for us.

I know - let's maybe raise more freaking money from all these billionaire GT alum.
Let's play a better schedule that might actually attract more fans.
Let's kick ugags teeth in on the field by more than 2-4 points every few years.

THAT IS WHAT THE HECK WILL HELP US.

Last edited: