CGC on 680 this AM

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Maybe that "1 rogue donor" doesn't need you and your friends' money for what he said to be true. Zelnak is also quoted in the article, so I guess that's 2 rogue donors.
Zelnak didn't give the number of wins necessary to keep his job. That came from 1 alumnus, albeit a heavy contributor. However, he's not the only heavy donor and he's not necessarily representative of the rest of the heavy donors.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I knew we really didn't land on the moon. I saw it on TV. And your right about not believing everything you read. That is why in high school if the teacher wanted to know if I read my assignment I told her I just don't believe everything I read so I didn't see a reason to read it.
Yeah, this makes no sense. You're talking about school? Homework assignments? You're comparing these to a newspaper article? Not a lot of credibility there, bubba. Try again.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I’m not expecting him to scream “Woe is me, we suck!!”, but I’m also not expecting him to be like “Yeah, we’re doing great!” either, which is unfortunately pretty close to what he actually said.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
He has to speak, but that doesn't mean that the fans have any interest in what he says. At this point, I don't really care much what happens in Spring Training, who comes in as a transfer, who commits to GT, not much of anything. I'll be in MBS on Labor Day and see how the team looks on the field. Five days later and twelve days later I will be at BDS watching and will see how the team looks on the field. I will be at the rest of the home games, and at this point I am planning to go to the UCF and FSU games. I will watch the rest on TV.

There is absolutely nothing that the coach can say or that can be put in the media that will make me believe the team has turned the corner. I will be able to see with my own eyes in September. I have heard so many descriptions that don't match what my eyes have seen on the field that I will simply wait until I see it for myself and then draw conclusions.
He ain't talking to the fans. Never has been. That may or may not be why so many fans are so pissed off with the way he talks. He doesn't care about what message they're hearing. Right or wrong, he's talking to the players and the future recruits.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Is it? He faked his way to million$. Now he's set.

If being a con-man was the goal then the strategy was never "Fake it till you make it." It was always "Fake it until they figure you out." That's a different strategy.

I don't believe that CGC set out to do anything other than what he's stated. And I never attribute to conspiracy that which is well-explained by stupidity.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
He ain't talking to the fans. Never has been. That may or may not be why so many fans are so pissed off with the way he talks. He doesn't care about what message they're hearing. Right or wrong, he's talking to the players and the future recruits.

I’ve been hearing this since Year 1. That’s all great when you’re winning and players want to come here, but pretty dumb when you lose basically all of the fans’ support and many don’t even want to hear you speak anymore because it’s all nonsense and gibberish. And you lose your best recruits because you can’t win more than 3 games a year.

And actually, it’s not great even if you are winning. Why piss off your customers/supporters?? Just a stupid way to handle your business. But, if the shoe fits….😏

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm sort of in the RonJohn camp. I don't listen to any of CGC's or his staff's interviews or read any reports on them. I am focused solely on what occurs on the field next fall.
Hopefully that includes alot more winning than the last 3 seasons. Either they will win or they won't.

I'm also beyond tired of hearing from fans about the 'greatest transition in the history of college football'. I can't remember another single instance of moving away from the TO being a huge deal and alot of college football programs have moved away from the TO over the years. Given the fact that the defense has been worse than the offense it is not really an issue of transitioning from the TO.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I’ve been hearing this since Year 1. That’s all great when you’re winning and players want to come here, but pretty dumb when you lose basically all of the fans’ support and many don’t even want to hear you speak anymore because it’s all nonsense and gibberish. And you lose your best recruits because you can’t win more than 3 games a year.

And actually, it’s not great even if you are winning. Why piss off your customers/supporters?? Just a stupid way to handle your business. But, if the shoe fits….😏

Yes, it's a classic mistake for leaders. Not understanding who is 'their team.' Bad leaders think that 'their team' is made up of the people who report to them. They often rally 'their team' in ways that isolate it, alienating their peers and stakeholders and ultimately create an increasingly 'us against them' mentality in their own head that permeates the organization reporting to them. That inevitably leads to failure.

"Us against the world" is a super lazy and poor leadership approach. Unfortunately, CGC might well have embraced it from the start.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Fine. However, unlike previous years where I pay attention and am excited about football I am just planning to just wait until September. I think there is a large portion of the fan base that is apathetic at this point. Because he "Never has been" ... "talking to the fans", there is zero chance of him changing the fan apathy until September. At that point the only way he can change the apathy is to win games. As I said in my post a couple above the post you quoted:
There is ZERO that the coach can say that will make me believe he is the right coach. Now, words mean nothing. At this point it is win or get the hell out!!!

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
i have no idea what y’all expect a coach to say sometimes lol do you want him to talk about the team the way y’all do? should he say “yeah we were terrible last year, that gibbs transfer absolutely F’d us, everyone’s favorite RB coach left and things are looking REALLY grim”?

no coach talks like that in any sport at any level
To sum it up I want him to be honest…and he’s not. He can be honest and not trash players or the team.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The guaranteed part is done after 4 years (not 7).
The threat to GT is that he wins just enough to hang on. In my mind eight wins after four years
i would argue the job is far more appealing now than it was. the bare cupboard at least got restocked. you have sims, pyron and gibson who are all solid QBs with multiple years of eligibility and there’s at least a lot of potential littered around on the roster. from a football perspective there’s at least a foundation to build from.

now as far as administrative support, fanbase and money, i can understand there’s probably better options.

you also get the benefit of not being named collins which i think offers major appeal to many gtswarm users
If it is more appealing it is in the sense of a friend who once took a job after scouting the ground and concluded anything he did would be an improvement.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
If being a con-man was the goal then the strategy was never "Fake it till you make it." It was always "Fake it until they figure you out." That's a different strategy.

I don't believe that CGC set out to do anything other than what he's stated. And I never attribute to conspiracy that which is well-explained by stupidity.

Hanlon's razor is, indeed, my favorite of all the razors.