CGC on 680 this AM

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Coach Collins has a 30 minute interview this morning at 8am on 680 The Fan for those of you who want to stream an update directly from the man...

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Wow, I listened to Coach this morning on 680... I was a supporter of him at first, and I cheerleaded him through year 2 to other Gt fans who were down on him. He lost me last year, with the apathy of the team that I saw, and after that interview IMO, he is a dead coaching walking.

He never addressed the issues with the team, that were soft-balled to him by 680... He constantly deflected back onto self praise, and never took a stance that would require that our young men become accountable.

He isn't a leader and developer of men. He is self promoting ring-master, who hopes if you stay positive enough, good things will happen. That is self-delusional. I'm not even sure the man knows what real Hard work looks like. Its not get oiled up in front of a mirror and taking selfie shots.

I am rooting for GT, I really am, but everything I see tells me that this team and coaching staff is incredible fragile. If/When we lose a couple of games at the start of year, it is going to implode.

This coaching staff is looking like it will set us back a decade.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Coach Collins has a 30 minute interview this morning at 8am on 680 The Fan for those of you who want to stream an update directly from the man...
I listened to it, I won't repost my thoughts as I put them in the Coach Geoff collins fired/musing talking about other things thread. All I will say is that i'm shaking my head.

Time to wear paper bags with eye cutouts this year.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
To use a term he used this morning he should say " I will be blessed if I'm the head coach in 2123 ". Not a stand out interview at all!

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Wow, I listened to Coach this morning on 680... I was a supporter of him at first, and I cheerleaded him through year 2 to other Gt fans who were down on him. He lost me last year, with the apathy of the team that I saw, and after that interview IMO, he is a dead coaching walking.

He never addressed the issues with the team, that were soft-balled to him by 680... He constantly deflected back onto self praise, and never took a stance that would require that our young men become accountable.

He isn't a leader and developer of men. He is self promoting ring-master, who hopes if you stay positive enough, good things will happen. That is self-delusional. I'm not even sure the man knows what real Hard work looks like. Its not get oiled up in front of a mirror and taking selfie shots.

I am rooting for GT, I really am, but everything I see tells me that this team and coaching staff is incredible fragile. If/When we lose a couple of games at the start of year, it is going to implode.

Any way to hear this? I looked on 680's site and didn't see anything. Sounds like the interview on Packer and Durham. Looked like a dead man walking.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The only interesting tidbit to me was when asked is this Jeff Sims job or is it an open competition. He responds that everything is an open competition but then goes on for about 5 minutes gushing over Sims while barely acknowledging the existence of the other guys. For better or worse he has highly tied himself to Sims and there is no actual QB competition. He did give a couple really bad answers to questions though. Specifically the question about was the last two games a low point in his career. He basically just says he is great, has always been great, and he is going to have to have conversations with guys to get back to great. Ok. You could have just said, yeah, that sucked.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

This could happen or we might win 6 games or so. It really comes down to whether Sims is able to put this team on his back and carry them. The defense can't get any worse than the 34 ppg. it gave up last year...or can it?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
OK, I finally heard confirmation that Collins is indeed going to be focused on the defense. There’s always a lot of gloss in his speech to wade through but he spoke of his new offensive coaches being of a philosophy and mindset that he was comfortable with and, as a result, he has spent the last two months in the defense room. He said that was exciting for him.

Trust me when I say I am not offering false hope but this could be productive. Collins seemed lost on game days trying to call plays and manage the game. Having people do that who know what they are doing could make the team a lot more efficient. And if Collins is as good a defensive coach as he claims then that side of the ball could improve also. Think what last year would have looked like if the defense had given up one less touchdown per game and the offense had scored one more touchdown per game.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I felt like some of the questions were good and to the point, but the way he answered them reminded me of Charles Durning as the governor in The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas.
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VideoExamples/TheBestLittleWhorehouseInTexas
There's a kind of disingenuousness about the guy. Just little things, like somebody making millions a year complaining about the price of swag - things like that which just seem a little off. Unimportant things, but enough to give you clues he's not exactly a straight shooter.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Some will somethings to grind their axe for sure. Hope he's "out" of social media and let other handle that and concentrate on winning games.

I'm not upset that he's pulling names and numbers from practice gear, nor that "groups" have to "earn" special tshirts/gear. Should not get swag just because you show up. Earn it.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
KS with an article referencing the interview.

Reemphasizing a comment after the firings/not renewing contracts after the season ended.

“All I’m focused on is our team every single day and getting to work, not worrying about those (branding) things,”