CGC on 680 this AM

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
To clarify, my point about CGC's contract is that I don't think he will be fired until after the fully guaranteed part of his contract expires (which happens after the end of season 4). I can't see GT being willing to spend an extra $3M+ to get rid of someone 2 months earlier when it won't change the trajectory of anything. I don't see any coach on the staff that looks remotely ready to be a HC at a P5 level.

I'm not sure GT is a more attractive place than it was 3 years ago. If we have a new coach, that will be coming off of 4 straight losing seasons. We can say the talent level is higher, but unfortunately with the departures of some of our best recruits through the portal and the ability of any player to hit the portal there is no guarantee at all that the talent a new coach will have on hand is any better than it was 4 yrs ago. If the worst case happens then imo GT will be seen as a slightly better than Duke opportunity - not much more than that.

JacketFan137

Banned
To clarify, my point about CGC's contract is that I don't think he will be fired until after the fully guaranteed part of his contract expires (which happens after the end of season 4). I can't see GT being willing to spend an extra $3M+ to get rid of someone 2 months earlier when it won't change the trajectory of anything. I don't see any coach on the staff that looks remotely ready to be a HC at a P5 level.

I'm not sure GT is a more attractive place than it was 3 years ago. If we have a new coach, that will be coming off of 4 straight losing seasons. We can say the talent level is higher, but unfortunately with the departures of some of our best recruits through the portal and the ability of any player to hit the portal there is no guarantee at all that the talent a new coach will have on hand is any better than it was 4 yrs ago. If the worst case happens then imo GT will be seen as a slightly better than Duke opportunity - not much more than that.
i would imagine if collins is fired end of season the players staying or leaving would mainly depend on who is brought in. unless guys are just well and truly done with atlanta and tech in general. then based on the hire some will stay and go

i also think chip long isn’t as far away from being a head coach as people think. not saying he’s the next dabo or anything but he certainly does have a lot of experience at least at a high level with notre dame. guys have become good head coaches with less experience than him. would rather evaluate all options though before making that decision

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
collins would be bottom 3 in the SEC in pay and even schools that don’t win much of anything like kentucky are paying their coordinators nearly double what ours get. chances are any coach we hire will be seen as a bit of a gamble because they won’t be a proven winner at the p5 level and will more than likely be a young upstart kinda coach.

not saying they’re all gonna be collins results wise but they’ll be a similar archetype unless boosters say they’ve had enough and pony up some big bucks

urban meyer would be cheap now i guess lol
In my opinion Meyer is a psychologically unstable football guru who will win you a championship but practically cost you your whole program when he does his usual flame out. Other than that, and is gutter level moral positions, he is a great hire.

JacketFan137

Banned
In my opinion Meyer is a psychologically unstable football guru who will win you a championship but practically cost you your whole program when he does his usual flame out. Other than that, and is gutter level moral positions, he is a great hire.
oh yeah i agree i was being facetious. not exactly the guy you want influencing young men. his offenses work at the college level though

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
4 wins and he keeps his job guaranteed, this may not be popular opinion, but Tstan does NOT want to have admit he WAS wrong. I just dont see CGC getting fired with 4 wins given the schedule we face next year.
Guaranteed? Ok. You going to stop the boosters from buying him out and firing the AD?

JacketFan137

Banned
No plans to listen. I’m done listening to this guy talk because he says nothing. It’s all essentially poorly executed propaganda. The guy lies and doesn’t care in hopes that it somehow benefits the team. As always I hope we win every game, but I don’t think we will make it to six. If that’s the case then I will be sad we lost, yet relieved to see him go.
i have no idea what y’all expect a coach to say sometimes lol do you want him to talk about the team the way y’all do? should he say “yeah we were terrible last year, that gibbs transfer absolutely F’d us, everyone’s favorite RB coach left and things are looking REALLY grim”?

no coach talks like that in any sport at any level

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
i have no idea what y’all expect a coach to say sometimes lol do you want him to talk about the team the way y’all do? should he say “yeah we were terrible last year, that gibbs transfer absolutely F’d us, everyone’s favorite RB coach left and things are looking REALLY grim”?

No good coaches talk like CGC either

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I can't speak for @bke1984 , but I feel a lot like the sentiment I got from his post. I don't think he was saying that the coach said something wrong in this interview, which is what you seem to be arguing about. He said he is finished listening to anything that the coach says. I got the same impression from the AJC story about big donors. Before the season they said something like they guaranteed 6 wins. After the season, one of them said that words don't matter at this point.

That is the way I feel. There is ZERO that the coach can say that will make me believe he is the right coach. Now, words mean nothing. At this point it is win or get the hell out!!!

JacketFan137

Banned
I can't speak for @bke1984 , but I feel a lot like the sentiment I got from his post. I don't think he was saying that the coach said something wrong in this interview, which is what you seem to be arguing about. He said he is finished listening to anything that the coach says. I got the same impression from the AJC story about big donors. Before the season they said something like they guaranteed 6 wins. After the season, one of them said that words don't matter at this point.

That is the way I feel. There is ZERO that the coach can say that will make me believe he is the right coach. Now, words mean nothing. At this point it is win or get the hell out!!!
ok well it’s fine to think that in september but we’re in february and coaches have media obligations lol

can’t win games right now can only practice and talk in coaching platitudes, just like the rest of the college football

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
ok well it’s fine to think that in september but we’re in february and coaches have media obligations lol

can’t win games right now can only practice and talk in coaching platitudes, just like the rest of the college football
He has to speak, but that doesn't mean that the fans have any interest in what he says. At this point, I don't really care much what happens in Spring Training, who comes in as a transfer, who commits to GT, not much of anything. I'll be in MBS on Labor Day and see how the team looks on the field. Five days later and twelve days later I will be at BDS watching and will see how the team looks on the field. I will be at the rest of the home games, and at this point I am planning to go to the UCF and FSU games. I will watch the rest on TV.

There is absolutely nothing that the coach can say or that can be put in the media that will make me believe the team has turned the corner. I will be able to see with my own eyes in September. I have heard so many descriptions that don't match what my eyes have seen on the field that I will simply wait until I see it for myself and then draw conclusions.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I'm kind of with you on that. I think there's a chance that the talent we added this year gets much better, and really I think Devoe and Usher regressed this year (or the offense did with them leading it). I'm ready to see a team without the two of them. We need to develop front court strength quickly.
I don’t think we saw a regression of Devoe or Usher. I think we fell victim to what hurts a lot of teams with one great player. Our offense stagnated around him. Defenses then keyed on him and we never got back to good team offense. Not even remotely saying that losing Devoe is “addition by subtraction” but I do think his presence this year maybe kept some other guys from maturing.
Usher probably wasn’t ever going to be a guy who could carry a team, but he could be a great piece and he could take over a game or two if Devoe struggled. The problem was that was not ever going to be a nightly occurrence. We were pretty easy to diagnose offensively.
I’m still pretty happy with our defense... if we can get any offensive continuity, we ought to be ok. We need to put more guys in position to succeed offensively. If we continue to defend and put people on positions to play as a team and to their individual strengths on offense, we can look much improved next year.