CGC on 680 this AM

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I think the donors made it clear. No more money for the program if the Geoff Show isn’t successful (min 6 wins) in 22. Fire him today and we will move on. Vouch for him, and you will go too. That was the message.
I believe there are some inferences in those statements. There was an anonymous informant who told the AJC that donors had raised the money for the buyout. I don't know if that is an accurate statement from a source that had direct knowledge or not. Even if true, I don't know if that included money to get a new coach or only all or maybe even just most of the buyout money. One donor was quoted in the AJC as saying:
“That’s certainly the way I see it,” Garrett said. “Didn’t he say, ‘I’ve got my man’? He’s got his man. He’s going to have to ride him.”
Is that sentiment because CGC wasn't fired, or because TStan was all-in and referred to him as "my man"?

I would rather not lose TStan next year if football doesn't recover. I understand that football is the highest revenue and the highest visibility sport. However, the athletic association and most of the sports are in much better condition than they were under MBob. Fund raising is up. Most sports are doing better. Even association support for football is much higher than it was. (although it appears that MBob was intentionally trying to starve the football program of resources.) IF football doesn't recover this year, the program could only go up with a different coach. The athletic association is in pretty good shape at the moment. If TStan is replaced, the association could get even better, but there is also the potential of a significant drop off.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I believe there are some inferences in those statements. There was an anonymous informant who told the AJC that donors had raised the money for the buyout. I don't know if that is an accurate statement from a source that had direct knowledge or not. Even if true, I don't know if that included money to get a new coach or only all or maybe even just most of the buyout money. One donor was quoted in the AJC as saying:

Is that sentiment because CGC wasn't fired, or because TStan was all-in and referred to him as "my man"?

I would rather not lose TStan next year if football doesn't recover. I understand that football is the highest revenue and the highest visibility sport. However, the athletic association and most of the sports are in much better condition than they were under MBob. Fund raising is up. Most sports are doing better. Even association support for football is much higher than it was. (although it appears that MBob was intentionally trying to starve the football program of resources.) IF football doesn't recover this year, the program could only go up with a different coach. The athletic association is in pretty good shape at the moment. If TStan is replaced, the association could get even better, but there is also the potential of a significant drop off.
Our two revenue sports are terrible and struggling. Attendance is down. You can go great at everything else but if those two struggle your shelf life as an AD is very short....

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't think TStan's employment is as tightly tied to Collins as some fans think.
His #1 task is getting GT AA's financial house in order. He has been doing a good job of that. That gives him a chance to survive.

I also question whether the 'money to fire Collins' is truly there. I think that is just some boosters covering their a**. Collins was a fav of the boosters who helped pony up money to hire him and increase the football staff and budget. If the boosters really wanted Collins gone he would already be gone. But that would require them admitting their own mistakes and I don't think they are there yet.

Alot of GT fans also likely have an inflated sense of how attractive the GT job is. I saw an article from a couple of years ago rating all the P5 college football coaching jobs. GT was somewhere in the 40's and was sort of middle of the pack in the ACC. Do you think GT is a more attractive job than UVA, VT, and Miami who all made changes this year. It probably is not.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Our two revenue sports are terrible and struggling. Attendance is down. You can go great at everything else but if those two struggle your shelf life as an AD is very short....
Football is terrible. I am not ready to throw in the towel on basketball yet. I haven't been able to watch much this year because I have been working excessively since late November up until a couple of weeks ago. I watched the Pitt game, I watched the Syracuse game, and I was in the coliseum for the first half of the VT game. They lost two of those game, but they don't look like a bad team to me. Football doesn't look good and isn't winning. Basketball isn't winning, but does look very competitive. Football has been bad three years in a row. Basketball made the NCAA tournament last year, and is having a down year this year. If basketball doesn't start winning more next year, or stops looking competitive then I will start to worry about round ball.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think TStan's employment is as tightly tied to Collins as some fans think.
His #1 task is getting GT AA's financial house in order. He has been doing a good job of that. That gives him a chance to survive.

I also question whether the 'money to fire Collins' is truly there. I think that is just some boosters covering their a**. Collins was a fav of the boosters who helped pony up money to hire him and increase the football staff and budget. If the boosters really wanted Collins gone he would already be gone. But that would require them admitting their own mistakes and I don't think they are there yet.

Alot of GT fans also likely have an inflated sense of how attractive the GT job is. I saw an article from a couple of years ago rating all the P5 college football coaching jobs. GT was somewhere in the 40's and was sort of middle of the pack in the ACC. Do you think GT is a more attractive job than UVA, VT, and Miami who all made changes this year. It probably is not.
Even if you are right, GT job is in the 40s, the product we are offering is not any where close to the 40s. So give me a coach capable of getting us to the 40s.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Football is terrible. I am not ready to throw in the towel on basketball yet. I haven't been able to watch much this year because I have been working excessively since late November up until a couple of weeks ago. I watched the Pitt game, I watched the Syracuse game, and I was in the coliseum for the first half of the VT game. They lost two of those game, but they don't look like a bad team to me. Football doesn't look good and isn't winning. Basketball isn't winning, but does look very competitive. Football has been bad three years in a row. Basketball made the NCAA tournament last year, and is having a down year this year. If basketball doesn't start winning more next year, or stops looking competitive then I will start to worry about round ball.
I wasn't clear enough. I meant football is terrible and basketball is struggling. Going from first to worst (or second to worst) with no HS recruits coming in is not a great situation and attendance is pretty awful. CJP missed an opportunity to build on last year's success.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I wasn't clear enough. I meant football is terrible and basketball is struggling. Going from first to worst (or second to worst) with no HS recruits coming in is not a great situation and attendance is pretty awful. CJP missed an opportunity to build on last year's success.
I would agree with using the word struggling. I think there is a good chance for the team to have a much better record next year. If this year is just a dip, we can just move on. If this year is the beginning of a slide, then we can worry. We won't know that until next year.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I would agree with using the word struggling. I think there is a good chance for the team to have a much better record next year. If this year is just a dip, we can just move on. If this year is the beginning of a slide, then we can worry. We won't know that until next year.
I'm kind of with you on that. I think there's a chance that the talent we added this year gets much better, and really I think Devoe and Usher regressed this year (or the offense did with them leading it). I'm ready to see a team without the two of them. We need to develop front court strength quickly.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

I don’t know if we saw the same article or not but the one I saw asked all the P1 coaches to anonymously rank their preferences for where they would most like to coach to where they would least like to coach. Their answers were put in a consensus format and Tech ended up being ranked the 62nd most attractive place to coach.

Of course we have long said that Tech will only attract a certain kind of coach and the right one is out there somewhere.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
When Ted Roof gets another DC job with lavish praise from a guy now his head coach but once a top DC, there is hope for everybody.

GT is not nearly as much of a Southern school as many fans would think.

TStan said "This is my guy." IMO, Collins must win 6 for TStan not to get canned. And that's what I was told was an accurate interpretation.

kalld12

Banned
TStan said "This is my guy." IMO, Collins must win 6 for TStan not to get canned. And that's what I was told was an accurate interpretation.
Everyone on this board likes to reference that. Without your sources made public i dont think anyone is going to put much weight on your statement. Tstan isnt going anywhere

JacketFan137

Banned

collins would be bottom 3 in the SEC in pay and even schools that don’t win much of anything like kentucky are paying their coordinators nearly double what ours get. chances are any coach we hire will be seen as a bit of a gamble because they won’t be a proven winner at the p5 level and will more than likely be a young upstart kinda coach.

not saying they’re all gonna be collins results wise but they’ll be a similar archetype unless boosters say they’ve had enough and pony up some big bucks

urban meyer would be cheap now i guess lol

kalld12

Banned

Spot on!