CGC on 680 this AM

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
This scenario reminds me almost exactly of the Butch Jones debacle at UT. Personally, I think Geoff has lost the support of the general fanbase, the alumni players, and season ticket holders. I don't think his record this year really matters at this point. To compete, TStan has to also start fundraising for NIL and I just don't see a lot of excitement for the product that Geoff is putting on the field. TStan can't afford to keep him given the lack of almost any institutional support. I think the best you can say is that he is a caretaker HC until a replacement is found.
It is similar to Butch Jones but with one major difference, Butch managed to beat UGA that time on a ridiculously improbable Hail Mary. No such luck for Geoff.

JacketFan137

Banned
They were largely our best OL we had last year. Minihan, Cochran and Johnson all started every game they played last year (34 starts in total)
Minihan started 28 and appeared in 34 games over the last 3 seasons.
Johnson started all 21 games he played the last 2 years after starting 19 games and 36 total appearances at TN.
Cochran started all 11 games he played in last season after starting 32 games over 3 seasons at Vandy.
We also lose Kenny Cooper who was injured much of the time but started 4 of 7 games he played in.

So overall GT lost 63% of its starts on the OL. Now our OL was bad, but we are now relying on guys who have alot less experience. Jordan Williams started 8 of 9 games at tackle. Vaipulu started 5 of 8 games at guard. Weston Franklin played in 5 games as a backup. Pendley started the season opener, but only played in 3 games as a backup after that due to injury. No one else played in a game this past season. Our 2 transfers include one player who has played only a handful of snaps in 3 years and the other had 1 start and 5 appearances (mostly 2 snaps here, 3 snaps there) in his second year at Clemson.
The young guys are arguably more talented, though Johnson was more highly rated than any player GT has signed on the OL under CGC, that is due partly to rated in the same general area overall. They have to step up this year though and play well as a unit with limited prior experience.
minihan and cochran were decent to good.

by the end of the season i think we should have played a traffic cone instead of johnson. at least it could have tripped someone up at some point. johnson’s film is rough to watch

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Never is a long time. The question is whether you want to see an ACC championship in your lifetime.

That's somewhat my point. Your comment was we might as well hang it up as a program. I think Collins is in over his head as a HC, and will likely be gone soon, but even if he is, GT football still has a path forward. Our road is harder, but it doesn't cease to exist because of anything that does or doesn't happen regarding Collins tenure here. (Sans a major SMU style scandal that lands us a death penalty)

Just trying to get you back from the ledge. :)

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
That's somewhat my point. Your comment was we might as well hang it up as a program. I think Collins is in over his head as a HC, and will likely be gone soon, but even if he is, GT football still has a path forward. Our road is harder, but it doesn't cease to exist because of anything that does or doesn't happen regarding Collins tenure here. (Sans a major SMU style scandal that lands us a death penalty)

"The University of Texas boosters recently set up a program that's paying $50,000 per year to offensive linemen who are on scholarship. It's part of the nonprofit Horns with Heart initiative."

This is what scares me. Does Tech have the resources to do this for even a few players? Geoff can be the greatest recruiter in the world but if NIL dollars rule ... it's a Brave New World.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
"The University of Texas boosters recently set up a program that's paying $50,000 per year to offensive linemen who are on scholarship. It's part of the nonprofit Horns with Heart initiative."

This is what scares me. Does Tech have the resources to do this for even a few players? Geoff can be the greatest recruiter in the world but if NIL dollars rule ... it's a Brave New World.
The blanket NIL for position players, or any scholarship player is what the None Caring A$$holes of America are looking into as to how to make it even. The wild west is here, but can we close Pandoras box?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Thanks for pulling me away from the edge
👍
however, the point I was making is that we are fast approaching an historically bad period in Tech football, perhaps the worst ever. If TStan does anything that smacks of complacency in this epically bad time, a whole bunch of people will give up on supporting Tech because there will be no coming back in their lifetime. It would be a body blow to the program.

But 🙂 I’m fine. Really.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Our approach has to be different next time if were to be successful hiring a "good" coach. Potential and ties to the program bit us in the a** this time around.
Not interested in potential ties. I believe there are good young coaches at G-5 and below who would jump at the chance to coach here, the dud we ended up with notwithstanding.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
and who out there is going to come in and right the ship with the CFB landscape we currently face? Between NIL deals and transfer portal who out there would be willing to accept the job? They will easily ask for another 4-5 year guaranteed contract. I'm telling you this guy WILL NOT be canned if he wins 4-5 games this year. Improvement will save his job

To be clear, im not saying noone can, all im saying of the availiable coaches out there at the pay we can offer, who is going to come in and get us to the promise land we all want? I just dont see CGC getting canned if he wins 4-5 games this year. Just my opinion, time will tell.
If you believe something to be impossible, you set yourself up to be proven right. I don't mean this as a personal dig at you, but this mindset that we won't or can't get anyone better is extremely pervasive among the Tech fanbase and is very self-defeating. If you don't believe you can do better, you won't try.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
And a 5 win season would tank both the HC and the AD that made that choice... The money people are not happy and a 5 win season will cost them both their jobs. It might not take that long...
Agree. I think 7 and a decent showing against the powers on our schedule. We get beat 50-0 the last game and I doubt anyone can survive that.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Agree. I think 7 and a decent showing against the powers on our schedule. We get beat 50-0 the last game and I doubt anyone can survive that.
I respect the emphasis on wins. But, how would you feel if we got seven wins and only 10,000 season tix renewals, only 11am games, and a 50% drop in AT donations?

That’s what did in Butch. It was the massive drop in ticket and suite sales.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Agreed. We also can't lose games in the way we lost the last two against ND and uga. Whether it's 4 or 5, I think we will see another year of CGC if we actually make progress next year.
4 or 5 wins is not progress. He has to win 6 or he should be fired. I see no reason he can't hit that number given the absolute weakness of our conference. I expected six wins last year and I expect at least that this year.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I respect the emphasis on wins. But, how would you feel if we got seven wins and only 10,000 season tix renewals, only 11am games, and a 50% drop in AT donations?

That’s what did in Butch. It was the massive drop in ticket and suite sales.
Money talks and BS walks... We've had enough BS from CGC. Maybe he turns it around but he has to win 7-8 and go bowling. With the tough start to the season that is highly unlikely. I think once the season ticket sales numbers are in the goalposts will be moved to where we'll need an upset of Clemson or Ole Miss for him to survive.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I honestly thought Ryan Johnson was overall pretty meh and basically awful at run- blocking, hopefully some of the young OL are ready and can step it up
Yep - SEC starter. Not great at all once he joined here. I don't know if the Transfer Portal is necessarily more or less risky than HS recruiting, but remember when we were all told that we should ignore how our recruiting ranking should be ignored last year because it didn't reflect our transfers ???? Staking our success on the 2 OL we got in is risky as he** because there is some reason why they are transferring. Unless its only to be closer to home or because they want an engineering degree, there's likely a reason they aren't playing enough to stay where they are...

Meh on both recruiting rankings and how they should be adjusted for transfers.... Unless you are top 10 or you are getting a talent like Gibbs it's meaningless if you don't have coaching talent to develop and use them.