Article CFP unanimously approves 5+7 model for new 12-team playoff

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I am actually for this. Make no mistake this is the BIG and the SEC taking their LARGE piece of the pie and leaving scraps for the rest of us, but after thinking about it, and considering the alternative, it's the best solution. After looking at the last 10 years Typically both the SEC and BIG will get 4 in, Notre Dame would get it, and it would have gotten the ACC an extra playoff spot at least 4 more times.

I guess that after the financials are released, the BIG and SEC will at least double what the other conferences will make from the playoffs. I think they will make 60-65% more but at least double. This sucks for the ACC conference payout, but with our ACCN, and unequal revenue distribution our lower ACC payout teams should make what the highest B12 teams make, and our bigger brands will be within 15-20 Million of the SEC and BIG.

It's the best solution for the ACC, because the alternative is a true breakaway of just the SEC and B1G. FSU needs to think hard, if it's worth it to have 15 - 25 million more a year, and very few playoff appearances from being in the SEC, or almost continual playoff appearances in the ACC.

For me, I would take the marketing and branding of going to the playoffs over 30 million any day of the year.

So selfishly, I hope FSU leaves if this is adopted, it would make the pathway for Georgia Tech to become relevant much easier.
If the ACC accepts this, and it appears they have, it marks their agreement that they are an inferior conference.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
If the ACC accepts this, and it appears they have, it marks their agreement that they are an inferior conference.
Which would you rather have - an agreement that the ACC is an inferior conference to get an extra team in the playoffs most years when they otherwise wouldn't, or just accept the committee rankings and get fewer teams in the playoffs most years?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Which would you rather have - an agreement that the ACC is an inferior conference to get an extra team in the playoffs most years when they otherwise wouldn't, or just accept the committee rankings and get fewer teams in the playoffs most years?
False dichotomy. I’ve already stated what I prefer.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Don't you remember - Stinger is the G5 Advocate! You can hear the cheers from Boise Idaho to Oxford Ohio all the way to the East Coast! :p :ROFLMAO:

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Only if we’re tied to the cretins. Cut loose, paupers! Stop enabling the elites.
Furthermore, stop genuflecting, CFB, to the SECheat and B1G. If you want permanent pauper status then accept the inequity. If you want equity, then band together and insist on a conference champ only format; Their champ against your champ. No more multiple teams from any conference determined by biased polls. Line up all the P4 champs, the top 3 G5 champs and/or top independent and play it off. It’s even Steven so it’ll never get by the demigods, but a man can dream.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Furthermore, stop genuflecting, CFB, to the SECheat and B1G. If you want permanent pauper status then accept the inequity. If you want equity, then band together and insist on a conference champ only format; Their champ against your champ. No more multiple teams from any conference determined by biased polls. Line up all the P4 champs, the top 3 G5 champs and/or top independent and play it off. It’s even Steven so it’ll never get by the demigods, but a man can dream.
Money (and sex) rule the world.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Money (and sex) rule the world.
“The love of money is the root of all sorts of evil.” It’s funny to me, but by pursuing money above all the ACC is ensuring they will get less than their main competitor 9 of 10 years. By pursuing money above all they will fall further and further behind.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Do away with the CG and the top two teams from every conference gets in. ND can go take a hike or join a conference. May the best team survive.
Top two from the P4 Conferences? ESPN is not going to give up Conference Championship Games and 1st round playoffs. Reality matters.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I could do this. It’s equitable.
Of course you know the ESPN and Fox Executives would laugh anyone who suggested giving up Conference Championship Games out of their buildings. As we all agree money rules and there is simply too much money involved to go to an 8 team playoff with no Conference Championship Games.

Fairness is of zero interest to the money men, revenue is all that matters. We may not like it but it is what is reality in 2024.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It should auto correct. The SEC teams outside of the top that consistently lose their bowl games now will lose the playoff games and everything will normalize.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Of course you know the ESPN and Fox Executives would laugh anyone who suggested giving up Conference Championship Games out of their buildings. As we all agree money rules and there is simply too much money involved to go to an 8 team playoff with no Conference Championship Games.

Fairness is of zero interest to the money men, revenue is all that matters. We may not like it but it is what is reality in 2024.
I agree. After this year, it’s obvious they don’t care at all about what it looks like, they’re going to manipulate the system to get the teams they want. I find it disgusting, but I also find paying a college football head coach $3MM-$14MM to coach a bunch of supposed amateurs disgusting. They’ve made their deal at the crossroads. It will eventually get to a point where I don’t watch anymore.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I agree. After this year, it’s obvious they don’t care at all about what it looks like, they’re going to manipulate the system to get the teams they want. I find it disgusting, but I also find paying a college football head coach $3MM-$14MM to coach a bunch of supposed amateurs disgusting. They’ve made their deal at the crossroads. It will eventually get to a point where I don’t watch anymore.
This is what I would desperately like to avoid.