Article CFP unanimously approves 5+7 model for new 12-team playoff

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
So if Notre Dame is 12-0 and ranked #1 in the country, they can be no higher than the 5 seed in the playoffs. Good.
Which means no first round bi. Obviously they dont have enough voting power to change this. Which means are they forced or feel compelled to join the big 10 now? If they were smart they certainly should not join the ACC in football. Move all sports to the big ten. Wish we could.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
If anything this makes Notre Dame even less inclined to join a conference. They’re essentially trading the opportunity to have a first round bye, but they also don’t have to play a conference championship game. The losers of the P4 CCGs are at a massive disadvantage in this system. They play an extra game against an extremely tough opponent in an emotionally charged environment, then have to turn around and play a team who is most likely fully rested.

Notre Dame on the other hand skips that game entirely and goes straight into playoff preparation, with no chance to lose and hurt their position. 12-0 or 11-1 Notre Dame gets in the playoff every time, sometimes they could make it at 10-2. To win the natty ND has to play 16 games no matter what. A P4 team that loses their CCG would have to play 17. The last 5 would essentially all be playoff games.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
When can we get full and final separation from the two money grubbing bush-league pro conferences? IMPO, it cannot come soon enough.
Be careful what you wish for. The possibility of dropping way down competitively in all sports is very real. There is no reason the "lower" tier will get near the money those teams currently get now from either Networks, attendance or donations.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
If anything this makes Notre Dame even less inclined to join a conference. They’re essentially trading the opportunity to have a first round bye, but they also don’t have to play a conference championship game. The losers of the P4 CCGs are at a massive disadvantage in this system. They play an extra game against an extremely tough opponent in an emotionally charged environment, then have to turn around and play a team who is most likely fully rested.

Notre Dame on the other hand skips that game entirely and goes straight into playoff preparation, with no chance to lose and hurt their position. 12-0 or 11-1 Notre Dame gets in the playoff every time, sometimes they could make it at 10-2. To win the natty ND has to play 16 games no matter what. A P4 team that loses their CCG would have to play 17. The last 5 would essentially all be playoff games.

I don't agree with that analysis. Two highly ranked teams facing off isn't going to bump someone out of the playoffs (see: Georgia/Alabama, Oregon/Washington). There is more potential that someone in the 8-12 range loses their chance if they lose the conference championship. On the flip side, teams like Louisville and Iowa of last year will suddenly have chances to sneak in if they can win a big game.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I don't agree with that analysis. Two highly ranked teams facing off isn't going to bump someone out of the playoffs (see: Georgia/Alabama, Oregon/Washington). There is more potential that someone in the 8-12 range loses their chance if they lose the conference championship. On the flip side, teams like Louisville and Iowa of last year will suddenly have chances to sneak in if they can win a big game.
I’m not sure what you’re talking about. My point is that the loser of the CCG is at a disadvantage because they have to play an extra game. Notre Dame not having an opportunity to get a first round bye in the playoff is irrelevant, since they would have to win/play the same number of games as P4 champs with a first round bye anyway.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
At first blush this reads as if a very highly ranked yet a 1 loss SEC juggernaut could get left out if the SEC champ is undefeated. AmIwrong?

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Which means no first round bi. Obviously they dont have enough voting power to change this. Which means are they forced or feel compelled to join the big 10 now? If they were smart they certainly should not join the ACC in football. Move all sports to the big ten. Wish we could.
ND can not join any conference but the ACC until 2036. that's part of the scheduling agreement/having all other sports in the ACC

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
It is time for an us against the "p2" world. All of D1, creates their own championship in ALL sports. Lets watch their basketball and baseball programs die on the vine with no one else to play.....,
Been saying this for a while. Just cut them off before they can cut us off. They are aiming for control of all CFB and the playoffs, and they’ve about got the checkmate. Time to pull the trigger.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
ND can not join any conference but the ACC until 2036. that's part of the scheduling agreement/having all other sports in the ACC
The ACC GOR which extends to 2036 does not apply to ND football media rights since they are not a member. It only applies to other sports which are members of the ACC. ND's new contract with NBC extends ND football media rights to NBC until 2029.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
The ACC GOR which extends to 2036 does not apply to ND football media rights since they are not a member. It only applies to other sports which are members of the ACC. ND's new contract with NBC extends ND football media rights to NBC until 2029.
The agreement they signed with the acc states they can only join the acc in football until 2036. It just happens to be the same as the GOR.

“It's already been established that, if Notre Dame joins a conference between now and 2036, it has to be the ACC. That's the length of the grant of rights deal signed in 2016.”

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
Somebody correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t there post season incentive to stay in the ACC now? Run through your seemingly weaker conference and now have a guaranteed shot at the 5+7?

Clemson can even go one loss against an undefeated FSU and they both might make it in? I understand being in the P2 makes more money but doesn’t this new model increase the odds for a title shot by a TON for ACC schools?

If I’m Clemson and I now have to play Ohio State, Michigan, PSU, Oregon, Washington, getting kicked out at some point- while some ACC team that stayed, let’s stay GEORGIA TECH, scrambles their way in, I’d be scratching my head and rear.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
At first blush this reads as if a very highly ranked yet a 1 loss SEC juggernaut could get left out if the SEC champ is undefeated. AmIwrong?
It's possible that a one-loss SEC champ gets left out but only if they are 1) not champions and 2) there are 7 other non-conference championship teams ranked above them. Unless I missed someone, the last SEC team I can find that matches this criteria is 1969 9-1-1 Florida. So pretty unlikely.