CFP Discussion

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Playoff teams are picked after the Conference Championship Games so saying it was before that is pointless. Why not pick week 10? Good Lord some folks are trying to find ways to be butt hurt.
No. His point was a 9-3 SEC team that wasn’t in their league championship game was already ranked higher than a 10-2 ACC team in the ACCCG. That’s exactly the point. They already elevated an SEC also-ran over a team that could have been the ACC champion. It was a valid point.

No one’s getting butt-hurt, but you seem to keep ignoring the facts as if they’re not relevant, when they are.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
One possibly unforeseen downside to a conference getting multiple teams in the CFP is too many repeat games. Let's assume that both conference championship teams get in from the SEC and B1G. There are decent odds that they could have played each other in the regular season, and again in their Conf. Championship (its happened before). So now there is a good chance we see teams playing for the CFP that have already played each other twice before. That could result in some serious fan apathy outside of their respective fanbases. Who wants to see Bama-uga for the third time in a season?
I would think we split back into divisions with the higher number of teams per conference and the desire to get more teams into the playoff

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Am I wrong? Last night felt like a regular, degular old game. The announcers didn't help, sounded kinda bored since no-ess-ee-see.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I still think the FSU team, that beat Louisville, would have played Michigan toe to toe.
Absolutely. They certainly would not have lost by 3 touchdowns.

So, how to compare? Washington, to be fair, had an off night for several reasons. Their star running back was limping through the whole game. Their QB missed two open touchdown passes earlier in the game. By later in the game he was too banged up to be of any use. Off night for the whole offense.

FSU’s second string QB would not have played any worse and a different type of offense might have done better against Michigan. FSU’s defense would have made Michigan work a lot harder to score and could have kept the game close.

I’m noticing that it’s not uncommon for a team to have a bad game during the playoffs and, potentially, an almost perfect game. Michigan’s bad game was against Alabama where they tried multiple different ways to give the game away but still had the horses to win. Their game against Washington had view mistakes and was executed close to perfection.

This tells me two things. A team with a strong defense is more likely to survive a playoff, especially a 12 team playoff where everyone is subject to one off night or bad game. This year’s FSU team was built for such a playoff.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely. They certainly would not have lost by 3 touchdowns.

So, how to compare? Washington, to be fair, had an off night for several reasons. Their star running back was limping through the whole game. Their QB missed two open touchdown passes earlier in the game. By later in the game he was too banged up to be of any use. Off night for the whole offense.

FSU’s second string QB would not have played any worse and a different type of offense might have done better against Michigan. FSU’s defense would have made Michigan work a lot harder to score and could have kept the game close.

I’m noticing that it’s not uncommon for a team to have a bad game during the playoffs and, potentially, an almost perfect game. Michigan’s bad game was against Alabama where they tried multiple different ways to give the game away but still had the horses to win. Their game against Washington had view mistakes and was executed close to perfection.

This tells me two things. A team with a strong defense is more likely to survive a playoff, especially a 12 team playoff where everyone is subject to one off night or bad game. This year’s FSU team was built for such a playoff.
Defense wins championships.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t watch one play.
Prepare for the “tainted champions” narrative. ESPN said that right after Alabama lost and squeezed in one quick reference after Michigan won last night.

They were testing their audience to see if this might fly. Some subtle lobbying has already begun to get multiple SEC teams in next year.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I can't comment on the CFP Championship game because I didn't watch it ... hopefully like a lot of others. If TV ratings crash, maybe someone will do something to fix the sport.
You misplayed that. The takeaway lesson will be to put in more SEC teams to get the ratings up.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Prepare for the “tainted champions” narrative. ESPN said that right after Alabama lost and squeezed in one quick reference after Michigan won last night.

They were testing their audience to see if this might fly. Some subtle lobbying has already begun to get multiple SEC teams in next year.
ESPN and the SEC = the root of all that ails college football.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don't disagree, I forgot to think about the agenda ...
Think New York Jets GIF by Bleacher Report