CFP Discussion

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Speaking of the CFP, it strikes me as an interesting possibility that Michigan could win it all only to be stripped of the NC due to recruiting violations.

Meanwhile, FSU was robbed of its rightful place in the playoff.
As someone who embraces the chaos of college football...this is the scenario I long for.

- Michigan wins the CFP
- The NCAA strips them of wins due to recruiting violations (or whatever else they're under investigation for)
- FSU beats Georgia in the bowl game (without their starting QB, and down a number of players who are sitting out)
- FSU becomes the only undefeated college football team this year.
- FSU (rightfully) claims a national championship.

There are some problems with my plan, however:

1 - someone has to name FSU the national champs for them to claim it. However, since someone gave UCF that title in 2017(?), I have no doubt FSU can find at least one organization to do it.
2 - FSU winning a national championship will make them even more unsufferable. Such whiny sh!ts.

Still, I'd take it. A guy can dream.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
This season a team from the NFC South will be in playoffs. A better team from one of the other NFC divisions will watch from home. No one is complaining. Adults.
That’s because the rules are clear and everyone knows that better and worser teams will be in the playoff. The issue with the CFP is the rules change at a whim and the consistent beneficiary is the SECheat.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
This season a team from the NFC South will be in playoffs. A better team from one of the other NFC divisions will watch from home. No one is complaining. Adults.
Right, because they won it on the field by beating the other teams in competition for that playoff spot. Alabama and uga both sitting at home, not complaining, would be the adult thing to do. The CFP getting it right, would be the adult thing to do.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of the CFP, it strikes me as an interesting possibility that Michigan could win it all only to be stripped of the NC due to recruiting violations.

Meanwhile, FSU was robbed of its rightful place in the playoff.
I was in a restaurant last night in the heart of uga country. Conversation at bar was about Michigan being such cheaters. Georgia fans were talking about cheating and lack of integrity. Georgia. Irony is dead.

DavidStandingBear

Jolly Good Fellow
USF v Syr half time 31-0 !?!

Maybe the ACC does suck this year? and didn't deserve a playoff spot!

It's the bowl games that rank the conferences to me.

Don't care about injuries (like FSU fans), transfers, pro departures.

We're up next. another 6-6 ACC team against a 6-6 power 5.

Ball's in our court. Go Jackets!

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Who’s Manny?

Of course, those who benefit from preseason rankings enjoy it. The “we” in my statement are those who resist The Narrative and how it is built. Preseason rankings are one part of the enterprise of over rating a conference.

Manny Diaz. New Duke coach. 😏

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
"in a letter to U.S. Sen. Rick Scott (R-Fla.) about the Florida State snub, CFP executive director Bill Hancock wrote that the Seminoles did not have a strong enough strength of schedule and described the ACC as a "so-called Power 5 conference." While Hancock later clarified that statement, Florida State officials took that phrase as a slap to the ACC."

Source

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
It's hard to keep up with the narratives. 11 ACC teams in bowls means ACC good. One team loses bowl game by 35 points means ACC bad.

I'm still one of those fans who doesn't understand any allegiance to a conference. I realize I'm in the minority. But how a single team performs in its bowl game given all the factors that can contribute to that singular poor performance is no indictment on the 14 team collective.... or it shouldn't be.

I "get" the whole thing about ACC success will help GT in different ways... but I just can't get onboard with cheering for an entire conference. Just looking at the other 13 teams (not GT) in the conference, I'm indifferent on about 7 of them. I usually pull for 2 of them & I want 4 of them to lose every game possible.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Syracuse got totally destroyed by USF. Doesn't help the ACC Image as a P5.
You can no longer go by bowl games since there is so much churn and turmoil among coaches and staff. But, yeah, there has always been a reason to denigrate the ACC for as long as there has been an ACC. The reasons change from year to year but the narrative is relentless. I remember when FSU beat Auburn for the national championship and the SEC sport show talking heads were instantly all on the same page by saying, and I quote, “This just proves the superiority of the SEC because Florida State is really an SEC type team not an ACC team.”

You can’t make this $h!+ up in terms of how consistent the narrative has been for the last 35 years.

Ga Tech almost missed a national championship because the steady drum beat all season was that they were an ACC team and not deserving.

Oh well, don’t get me started. I’m just tired of propaganda, whether it’s from Russia or from the SEC.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Fred, the bowl season is our best chance to chip away at the perception that we ate a weak league. I believe this has already hurt us in the FSU situation, and it sill again.
I don't think there is a single ACC bowl game anyone cares about outside of FSU/UGA and pretty much all of FSU's team is opting out of that game.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
For me, it is a simple issue.

If they can ignore FSU when they go 13-0, then somewhere down the road, they can decide to ignore a 10-2 GT team that I want to see in the playoffs, simply because our fan base and reputation don't meet the national standards. That bothers me. The more objective we can make the selection criteria, the better chance lesser knowns like GT will have a chance someday.

I don't really care much about FSU, except for what it implies to me down the road for GT.
This is exactly why I am upset about them leaving out FSU. I wouldn't piss on FSU to put out a fire, but the CFP made it clear they think the ACC is lesser. All of the people defending the CFP today are going to be telling a different story when 10-2 GT is getting shafted for a 9-3 SEC team (the AP poll had 9-3 LSU ahead of 10-2 Louisville *this year* going into championship weekend).