CFP Discussion

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I think most of the SEC and Big10 fans would prefer to have a wider selection of teams in the 12 team playoff - not just 4 and 5 from their two conferences. They're fans like the rest of us and want to see their teams beat teams from other conferences.
You think they’re going to be asked? :)

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Assuredly the CFP will expand beyond 12 teams. But all this is doing is decreasing the chance that the absolute best team is crowned champion. And more significantly deprecates the value of the Regular Season. So a 12+ team playoff is just an another tournament.. which is exactly what the NCAA Basketball is.

And, if they really wanted to identify the Best Team, they’d ditch the single elimination construct and make it round robin between just the Top 4, which wouldn’t be decided by a (gasp!) “committee” .. but instead use the BCS-premise composite scoring based on any number of computer and person rankings that have the effect of balancing the overall score.
And no one would watch because that is simply another way to guess at who the best 4 teams are. In a single elimination tournament you have to have your A game every game. That’s what makes it interesting.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
Indeed. Why are Texas and Alabama both in the playoff? That has already been decided, when Texas beat Alabama 34-24 in Tuscaloosa.
You have 133 teams playing 12-game schedules and you have to have a repeat? That only makes sense if you're counting the money instead of the points already scored in a game already played.
i don't have a problem with Alabama being in the playoffs. They are an 11-1 conference champion with a win over the #1 team in the championship game. In my opinion, the Texas win over Alabama at the beginning of the season should have been marginalized. It's interesting why a game at the beginning of the season is more sacrosanct than FSU being an undefeated conference champion. FSU got the shaft.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
You can't seem to realize that is a problem. This year, the SEC was down. Yet, they still have a very large presence in the CFP top 15. Several have pointed out that the best OOC win that the SEC had all year was Louisville. The SEC is still getting credit for the tough SEC grind every single week, when they lose out of conference more than they win. The SEC has the most appearances, not because the SEC is hands down better than everyone else but because they get the hype.

I don't disagree with you that the committee wasn't going to exclude the SEC. I do disagree with you that the SEC should have gotten a team in this year. If the mutts had won, would Texas have jumped FSU? No. It would have been mutts, Michigan, Washington, and FSU. The only reason Texas made the playoffs is to provide an excuse to put an SEC team in.
For the record, I don't think Bama should've gotten in. Nor UGA. But it makes a more exciting made for tv event if you do.

But another core problem is the weekly Top 25. But that generates interest and ratings... so probably not going away.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
i don't have a problem with Alabama being in the playoffs. They are an 11-1 conference champion with a win over the #1 team in the championship game. In my opinion, the Texas win over Alabama at the beginning of the season should have been marginalized. It's interesting why a game at the beginning of the season is more sacrosanct than FSU being an undefeated conference champion. FSU got the shaft.
This is what I have a problem with. No win or loss should be "marginalized". There are no excuses. All games should count exactly the same. If Alabama wasn't ready, it's on them.
It's part of the game, just like the weather, injuries, and everything else that goes into winning and losing. It's absurd to have four teams in the playoff and have a potential repeat.

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Assuredly the CFP will expand beyond 12 teams. But all this is doing is decreasing the chance that the absolute best team is crowned champion. And more significantly deprecates the value of the Regular Season. So a 12+ team playoff is just an another tournament.. which is exactly what the NCAA Basketball is.

And, if they really wanted to identify the Best Team, they’d ditch the single elimination construct and make it round robin between just the Top 4, which wouldn’t be decided by a (gasp!) “committee” .. but instead use the BCS-premise composite scoring based on any number of computer and person rankings that have the effect of balancing the overall score.
I agree that 12 is too many - too many teams, and too many games. Eight seems reasonable.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
One of the problems is that FBS is trying to preserve the bowl system.
As you know, live long enough and you will see most of your cherished traditions end. I love the bowl traditions but they are on life support. With most of the best players opting out for fear of injury the “intersectional battle” story lines have lost all meaning.

I was even looking forward to FSU cleaning uga’s clock but now it’s a race to see who will even be able to field a team and whatever the result is will mean little. Too bad.

Some things about getting older are for the birds.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This is what I have a problem with. No win or loss should be "marginalized". There are no excuses. All games should count exactly the same. If Alabama wasn't ready, it's on them.
It's part of the game, just like the weather, injuries, and everything else that goes into winning and losing. It's absurd to have four teams in the playoff and have a potential repeat.
Agree 💯

When Alabama faced LSU for a national championship in a repeat of a game already played I began to care less and less about many of these games. I didn’t even watch.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Agree 💯

When Alabama faced LSU for a national championship in a repeat of a game already played I began to care less and less about many of these games. I didn’t even watch.
If Alabama should face Texas for the championship, the question of how many times Alabama has to be beaten by the same team in order to be eliminated will be answered.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Maybe. Beginning next season, though, the fight will be for seeding. There are some real advantages in that in the framework as it stands now. Guess who's gonna win.

And, while we're at it: LOL at FSU for screwing themselves with all their talk trashing the ACC and at the ACC for voting against the 12-team playoff this season. You cannot make that stuff up.
Are there any examples of FSU bad mouthing the ACC?
That may be true. But no one wants to see a blowout, which is much more likely with the 2nd or 3rd string QB playing rather than their star QB who got them to 10-0. FSU fans may tune in, but most of the rest of the country won't. See the National Championship game last year. Committee didn't want that to happen again, similar to several recent blowouts in the semis. So they took a more sure, currently better team. It's a tv show, it's not a real playoff.
fSU’s defense is one of, if not the best in the nation. That by itself equals no blow out.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I agree. All games should count

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Is it possible that the reason Alabama got in was because the committee thought the vast SEC viewing audience wouldn't watch if no SEC team was included?

Northeast, I'm still gonna watch and hope for a beat down by FSU.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Is it possible that the reason Alabama got in was because the committee thought the vast SEC viewing audience wouldn't watch if no SEC team was included?

Northeast, I'm still gonna watch and hope for a beat down by FSU.

I have rarely pulled for FSU to win a game but I sure hope they win the Orange Bowl in a rout.