CFP Discussion

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The SEC is the conference with the most appearances (10) ... there was no way the committee was leaving the SEC out.
THis makes no sense. Every year, every team is different. A spot in the CFP is earned in the season being played, not past seasons. What any conference did last year, 10 years ago, or whenever doesn't matter. What matters is what happened this year. The SEC did not earn the right to be there. It is as simple as that. The fact that the CFP "found" a way to get the SEC in is clear evidence of corruption and collusion.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
THis makes no sense. Every year, every team is different. A spot in the CFP is earned in the season being played, not past seasons. What any conference did last year, 10 years ago, or whenever doesn't matter. What matters is what happened this year. The SEC did not earn the right to be there. It is as simple as that. The fact that the CFP "found" a way to get the SEC in is clear evidence of corruption and collusion.
Um. Since it’s a made for tv show, the Committee can invite whoever they want. And they did.

I‘m cynical. I think it’s about money. You must be idealistic. And think it’s about “the best team”.

It isn’t.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
You mean part of the marketing campaign….
No, it’s part of the contract. In exchange for $475 million, the Committee has broad latitude to choose who it wants for the best broadcast product. No one is complaining about the $320 million they’ve received …

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Are there any examples of FSU bad mouthing the ACC?
A few I could find.

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-college-football-2023-conference-realignment

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/s...t-conference-revenue-must-change/69943371007/

https://www.tomahawknation.com/flor...p-5-revenue-distribution-money-acc-sec-big-10

https://theathletic.com/5020559/2023/11/01/florida-state-conference-independence-acc/

In fact, the entire concept of them pushing for unequal revenue distribution earlier this year is based on the shaky/unprovable premise that "our BRAND is worth so much more than the rest of the schools...so we should get more money." This was constantly postured, over and over, this fall. Since then, after extorting the policy change from the other members, they initially backed off the rhetoric...then continued on as the season wore on. The first tweet I posted is a case in point.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
For the record, I don't think Bama should've gotten in. Nor UGA. But it makes a more exciting made for tv event if you do.

But another core problem is the weekly Top 25. But that generates interest and ratings... so probably not going away.
It should not be a dang TV event first and foremost. We’re trying to determine a college football champion not an Emmy award winner!

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
This is what I have a problem with. No win or loss should be "marginalized". There are no excuses. All games should count exactly the same. If Alabama wasn't ready, it's on them.
It's part of the game, just like the weather, injuries, and everything else that goes into winning and losing. It's absurd to have four teams in the playoff and have a potential repeat.
I understand your position. My point was I thought the teams should have been Michigan, Washington, FSU and Alabama. If UGA had beaten Alabama, i think the four teams would have been UGA, Michigan, Washington, FSU. The committee marginalized FSU because they lost their QB. If anything was going to be marginalized, i think it should have been Texas' win over Bama at the beginning of the season.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree that 12 is too many - too many teams, and too many games. Eight seems reasonable.
As a fan, I think 12 is the perfect number. It gives you 4 weeks of games (like 16 teams would) without having the dumb games like 1v16, 2v15, 3v14 and 4v13. More than 16 teams requires a 5th week of playoffs which adds a lot more negatives than positives. It rewards the 4 highest ranked conference champs (who most likely just won their conference championship game) with a bye so it doesn’t add more games to those schools. It pits the 5v12, 6v11, 7v10 and 8v9 in the first round which should be pretty good games with some potential upsets.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I understand your position. My point was I thought the teams should have been Michigan, Washington, FSU and Alabama. If UGA had beaten Alabama, i think the four teams would have been UGA, Michigan, Washington, FSU. The committee marginalized FSU because they lost their QB. If anything was going to be marginalized, i think it should have been Texas' win over Bama at the beginning of the season.
Absolutely. However... how do you think Texas would feel leaving the B12 to come to the SECheat and getting cheated by the SECheat before they even formally entered the SECheat? sEcSPN couldn't let that happen, now could they? It would be bad for bidness.

slugboy

Staff member
Go to the college football playoff website rankings. Scroll past all of the team logos in the rankings, the conference logos below that. Then you will see the ESPN logo,much bigger than any logo of any team or conference. It’s literally five times bigger than any other image. That says it all right there.
It’s a problem of the NCAA being too weak. The NFL, NBA, and others don’t have this problem.

ESPN is a business. Protesting is valid. Not watching is valid. Making fun of them is valid. Suing is valid, for those that have standing. If ESPN is abusing a semi-monopoly position, then they should be forced to be fair actors. And they’ve cornered the market on college football (and the “playoffs”), so I think a smart set of lawyers could do something.

Ironically, ESPN is edging towards a monopoly, or was. The NCAA can’t dictate terms because they don’t have monopoly power.

Someone in the food industry said that there’s a lot of money to be made in agriculture if you’re not the farmer. Clayton Christensen wrote about what businesses made a lot of money in the supply chain (Microsoft) and which didn’t (hard drive manufacturers), based on where they were in the chain. ESPN is in that nice place in the chain where they dictate terms.