CFP Discussion

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
To each its own, just don't press whatever narrative you're trying to drive home on others. Not calling you out individually, just some of the other posters here who are also stating they wont watch the playoffs and others should follow suit to prove a point. Do as you all feel, I just don't understand what boycotting the game proves or changes when we're going to a 12 team format next yr? I feel you all are robbing yourself of good "football" over the fact FSU was left out. FSU would have NOT been good football and most likely a blowout similar to TCU vs. GA last yr.
Speculation - I do not agree with your assumption that FSU would have got blown out by Michigan. Speculation is for hedge funds and real estate developers not CFP committees. I'll still watch CFP but not as interested. I actually have decided bowls could be more fun because get to see some new players.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Didn’t watch last year or the year before. Didn’t watch a bowl game either. The way CFB is now, I care less and less. May have watched if no SEC team made it. I really liked the Army Navy game. The way it should be.
Other than our games, I don't think I've watched an entire football game in years. Usually watch a bit at the beginning and then follow the score if I care to watch at the end.

So I won't bother with bowls other than ours either.

But I love that uGag isn't in the CFP. One thing the committee got right.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Speculation - I do not agree with your assumption that FSU would have got blown out by Michigan. Speculation is for hedge funds and real estate developers not CFP committees. I'll still watch CFP but not as interested. I actually have decided bowls could be more fun because get to see some new players.
I look at bowls now like an early spring game, looking at who’s going to be playing in the fall.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I bet FSU’s defense is the best in CFB. What difference does it make how many games you watch?
Didn't Michigan's offense gain FEWER yards in their Championship Game than FSU's (with a 3rd string QB)?

Not sure I get the hate for FSU. Let me rephrase that....not sure why "experts" think FSU wasn't as good as.....and when you're "as good as" and go unbeaten in a P5 Conference, doesn't that earn a berth? Or should, anyway....

(I get the hate for FSU.)

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Didn't Michigan's offense gain FEWER yards in their Championship Game than FSU's (with a 3rd string QB)?

Not sure I get the hate for FSU. Let me rephrase that....not sure why "experts" think FSU wasn't as good as.....and when you're "as good as" and go unbeaten in a P5 Conference, doesn't that earn a berth? Or should, anyway....

(I get the hate for FSU.)
Herb states right there in his rant....it is all subjective and based on an eyeball test, not necessarily related to results on the field metrics.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Herb states right there in his rant....it is all subjective and based on an eyeball test, not necessarily related to results on the field metrics.
That’s what’s driving folks crazy. It’s all so subjective and leaves it open to conspiracy theories.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
That’s what’s driving folks crazy. It’s all so subjective and leaves it open to conspiracy theories.
That is exactly what is so hard to swallow (for me included). It is all very subjective... riiiiiiiiight up until NOW ... when the results on the field (the playoffs) will be all that matters. It is a frustrating deal. It really seems to me if guys like Herbstreit REALLY believe what he's saying... then they'd like us to back 30+ years and 'vote' on a national champ. Of course, no one is endorsing that... so, we're left having to 'put up' with the double-talk. ... and everyone sees right through it. I just wish these folks would be honest and not pretend it is a great system/process to determine a champion.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I just wish these folks would be honest and not pretend it is a great system/process to determine a champion.

It isn't. The NCAA has no process to determine a national champion in FBS. When ESPN got involved in 2014 (I think) for this contract, the payouts for the CFP and the associated bowl games soared from about $155 million a year to $475 million a year.

ESPN asked to promote the College Football Playoff "as a tournament" and CFP agreed. The trophy does not say "NCAA National Championship - Football". It says, "College Football Playoff National Champion".

As others have opined, this is a "made for TV show". Everyone who goes to a bowl game or a playoff benefits from the higher payouts.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Did you enjoy the TCU blowout last yr against UGA or did you boycott that too?

If you watched FSU's last two games, you wouldn't have to ask that question. Mic drop.
No, I didn’t watch it. At all. And apparently I wasn’t alone. I lost interest after the best team in the playoffs, Ohio State, was upset.

FSU could have won it all on the strength of their defense this year but now we’ll never know because a committee was more interested in hypotheticals than actual results on the field.