CFP Discussion

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
If UGA beats Bama then FSU would have been in and there would barely be any talk at all about the injury to Travis. It became an issue when there was a risk the SEC would have been left out.

I disagree. Without Travis, FSU wasn't getting in unless some combination of Michigan, Washington and TX lost. Uga or Bama likely get in under any scenario.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
This is where I disagree with you. I think the injury to Travis is a red herring to justify screwing FSU. But they were going to screw FSU no matter if he was injured or not, because they had to put the SEC champ as well as the one loss Big12 champ who beat Bama in the playoffs. This is just politucal spin to explain what they did. They would have spun it differently if Travis was not hurt, but it still would be the same four teams. Just one idiots opinion.

I disagree. A full strength, undefeated FSU gets in no matter what. Whether red herring or fact, Travis' injury cost them the spot. It's unfortunate.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The committee didn't want to risk a blowout of a team without their star QB. That is why they got left out. Who doesn't get this? It's all a great story. They don't care about a great story. They want ratings and no blowouts, see TCU-Uga last year and multiple games in prior years.

If Travis is healthy, they are in. He isn't and they aren't. It's not a true playoff. It's like The Masters, it's an invitational tournament at the discretion of the committee and they can invite anyone they want for whatever reason.
Dude, you've got three stories and just keep rotating between them.
1. "FSU isn't the same team w/o their star QB." This is true but means nothing, UGA isn't the same team w/o Bowers, OSU wasn't the same team w/o Daniels, etc. While it's a true statement, that's CFB. It's next man up and FSU still might be good enough to win it all.
2. "FSU looked bad in their last 3 games." So, Bama looked good? UGAg looked good? That's not a criterion. Things happen that make teams look bad all the time. It doesn't negate a season record.
3. "The committee didn't want to risk another blowout." First, they have no idea if any game is going to be a blowout or not. There might be one with these teams. Second, you're telling me that their risk matrix determined the probability that the incredible FSU D giving up a blowout is a high probability? Baloney. They yielded only 29 to LSU, the top O in the country, 20 points to Miami, the #26 O in the country, 6 points to L'ville, the #44 O in the country, 15 points to UF, the #48 O in the country, and 24 points to Clemson, the #50 O in the country. That's 5 of the top offensive 50 teams in the nation by average yards and they gave up an average of 19 points to those 5 teams. That theory is baloney.

So... Number 1. Number 2. Number 3. Save us all reading time and just give us a number, please.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That's true and a great story. But this is a tv show. They don't want to see a team coming together without their star quarterback. They want big names (teams and players) and don't want the risk of a blow out again. Get Rudy Ruetigger to write a movie about them winning the ACC. Would be great on the ACC Network. And for once, a major movie about football won't include GT getting beat at the end...... 😂
Then they don’t understand TV . Fans of other schools watch in droves when FSU is their opponent in an important game.
Why not? It’s in the criteria.
They can force a player to not enter the portal?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Yep. The played a 9-3 LSU team. After that, they played a collective schedule of 63-76.
See above. They played 5 of the top 50 offensive teams by total yardage and averaged giving up 19 points to those 5 teams.

ETA: as it is, you have Texas #9 O, Washington #12 O, Alabama #53 O, and Michigan #66 O.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I disagree. Without Travis, FSU wasn't getting in unless some combination of Michigan, Washington and TX lost. Uga or Bama likely get in under any scenario.
Why in your opinion did FSU move up from 5th to 4th in the CFP rankings after they beat Florida without Travis only to fall back to 5th after beating a team ranked higher than the team Texas beat?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
1. "FSU isn't the same team w/o their star QB." This is true but means nothing, UGA isn't the same team w/o Bowers, OSU wasn't the same team w/o Daniels, etc. While it's a true statement, that's CFB. It's next man up and FSU still might be good enough to win it all.
2. "FSU looked bad in their last 3 games." So, Bama looked good? UGAg looked good? That's not a criterion. Things happen that make teams look bad all the time. It doesn't negate a season record.
3. "The committee didn't want to risk another blowout." First, they have no idea if any game is going to be a blowout or not. There might be one with these teams. Second, you're telling me that their risk matrix determined the probability that the incredible FSU D giving up a blowout is a high probability? Baloney. They yielded only 29 to LSU, the top O in the country, 20 points to Miami, the #26 O in the country, 6 points to L'ville, the #44 O in the country, 15 points to UF, the #48 O in the country, and 24 points to Clemson, the #50 O in the country. That's 5 of the top offensive 50 teams in the nation by average yards and they gave up an average of 19 points to those 5 teams. That theory is baloney.

So... Number 1. Number 2. Number 3. Save us all reading time and just give us a number, please.
Yeah, I’m getting especially tired of references to TCU. If that is seriously a reason for keeping FSU out then somebody has not watched FSU’s defense this year. They might lose but they would never get blown out. By anybody. Take that to the bank.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Number 3.

Baloney.

I think the issue is that we are very analytical people and are looking for a "reason" why FSU isn't in. There is no "reason" beyond Travis' injury. That's it. We all think that an undefeated team in a Power 5 conference should be in and they should, but in this case, they aren't the same team they were all year.

Why in your opinion did FSU move up from 5th to 4th in the CFP rankings after they beat Florida without Travis only to fall back to 5th after beating a team ranked higher than the team Texas beat?

I'd have to go back and take a look. I don't recall who won or lost. I think you could make the argument that Uga should've dropped after our game. I think they were slightly overrated all year long.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Ha Ha. We've beat this to death, haven't we??

Nah, if we keep it going for another 10 pages, surely the CFP committee will change their minds!

Let's not forget who we're talking about here. This is the same FSU that tried to bully the ACC to give them uneven revenue distribution, is trying to find a way out of the ACC (they've actually said it out loud), and actively voted to block ACC expansion which would help with revenue (due to SMU not taking revenue).

I hate it for GT because we lost on some revenue for FSU being a playoff team, but it ends there for me in terms of arguing for FSU.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
No. But they can threaten to exclude the team if they do and it fundamentally changes the expectations of the team.
So there’s still a chance that the 4 teams could be reshuffled? Because I can almost guarantee someone’s going to be missing for one reason or another.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

Ok, that's fine. I'm just telling you why they're out. If you want to look for another reason, that's fine. It's all good. Have a great day.

I hope you don't think Oswald acted alone as well, because I can go all day on that one.... ;)

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I think the issue is that we are very analytical people and are looking for a "reason" why FSU isn't in. There is no "reason" beyond Travis' injury. That's it. We all think that an undefeated team in a Power 5 conference should be in and they should, but in this case, they aren't the same team they were all year.

This is Number 1. Irrelevant.

I'd have to go back and take a look. I don't recall who won or lost. I think you could make the argument that Uga should've dropped after our game. I think they were slightly overrated all year long.
As for UGAg, maybe so, but they won, and should not have dropped out of the top 3 for sure.