CFP Discussion

slugboy

Staff member
They played their 2nd string QB for most/all of the Florida game as well and didn't look great, but they did win. Yes, it is a great achievement for them to win the ACC Championship with their 3rd string QB. They should be commended and proud and should enjoy their ACC Champions swag, ring, etc. If Travis was still the QB today, they would be in the invitational. He isn't, so they aren't.

The committee knows that and doesn't want a repeat of the ACC Championship game in the "playoffs." Why don't people get that?
Would they have accepted a UGA , Mich, Wash, FSU set of matchups?
If so, it’s not about the QB.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You keep stating this and it’s likely true, but it’s a red herring. It doesn’t matter if it’s true or not. They are still a darn good team who put up a 13-0 record against heavy odds. That is simply the fact. The rest is conjecture.
Again, lost in the smoke screen is that when FSU lost their quarterback they came together as a team committed to winning anyway with a different style of play. They were firmly convinced that they were still a good team and equally convinced that, given the chance, they would prove on the field that they were not only a good team but the best team. They were well on their way to proving that point when they were robbed of what they had already earned.

TheStolenT

Georgia Tech Fan
I think this is a great point here. If UGA wins then I think that lineup is what you would have seen. But because UGA lost the committee had to get an SEC team in and the only way to justify Bama was to include texas above them and thus FSU got dropped. I think the committee/espn is using the QB debate against FSU to cloud the real reasoning here, that an SEC team had to be included and Texas handcuffed the committee by whipping bama at bama earlier in the year.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

If FSU's QB wasn't hurt and Uga hadn't lost to Bama. If Travis was healthy and things played out like they did, I think it would've been Michigan, Washington, Texas and FSU. I think Bama today is probably even or better than TX, but TX beat them so they couldn't put Bama in over TX and keep FSU out if Travis was healthy.

Him getting hurt is what kept FSU out. Not other 1 loss teams or SoS or any of that. They aren't the same team right now that they were a month ago.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
They played their 2nd string QB for most/all of the Florida game as well and didn't look great, but they did win. Yes, it is a great achievement for them to win the ACC Championship with their 3rd string QB. They should be commended and proud and should enjoy their ACC Champions swag, ring, etc. If Travis was still the QB today, they would be in the invitational. He isn't, so they aren't.

The committee knows that and doesn't want a repeat of the ACC Championship game in the "playoffs." Why don't people get that?
OK, either...
1) You're just trolling now.
2) You can tell the future. So, tell me... who wins? I am amazed at your (and the "committee's") clairvoyant abilities. Please share the wealth. Literally.

Actually, the "committee" doesn't know squat, nor does anyone who repeats that garbage. FSU, under Rodemaker, beat UF by more points (9) than Missouri beat UF (2), and beat UF by more than Alabama beat their in-state rival Auburn (3), and more than UGA beat their in-state rival GT (8). Furthermore, even with a t-FR 3rd string QB, they won their CCG by more points (10) than did Alabama (3). No, it surely wasn't pretty, but FSU is a dang big-boy football team and played their guts out Saturday night and won that CCG and perfect season.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Again, lost in the smoke screen is that when FSU lost their quarterback they came together as a team committed to winning anyway with a different style of play. They were firmly convinced that they were still a good team and equally convinced that, given the chance, they would prove on the field that they were not only a good team but the best team. They were well on their way to proving that point when they were robbed of what they had already earned.

That's true and a great story. But this is a tv show. They don't want to see a team coming together without their star quarterback. They want big names (teams and players) and don't want the risk of a blow out again. Get Rudy Ruetigger to write a movie about them winning the ACC. Would be great on the ACC Network. And for once, a major movie about football won't include GT getting beat at the end...... 😂

slugboy

Staff member
If FSU's QB wasn't hurt and Uga hadn't lost to Bama. If Travis was healthy and things played out like they did, I think it would've been Michigan, Washington, Texas and FSU. I think Bama today is probably even or better than TX, but TX beat them so they couldn't put Bama in over TX and keep FSU out if Travis was healthy.

Him getting hurt is what kept FSU out. Not other 1 loss teams or SoS or any of that. They aren't the same team right now that they were a month ago.
If UGA beats Bama, would FSU be in? Is there even a “crisis” for the committee?

The general consensus is that it would have been UGA, Michigan, Washington, and FSU, with Texas on the outside looking in

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
OK, either...
1) You're just trolling now.
2) You can tell the future. So, tell me... who wins? I am amazed at your (and the "committee's") clairvoyant abilities. Please share the wealth. Literally.

Actually, the "committee" doesn't know squat, nor does anyone who repeats that garbage. FSU, under Rodemaker, beat UF by more points (9) than Missouri beat UF (2), and beat UF by more than Alabama beat their in-state rival Auburn (3), and more than UGA beat their in-state rival GT (8). Furthermore, even with a t-FR 3rd string QB, they won their CCG by more points (10) than did Alabama (3). No, it surely wasn't pretty, but FSU is a dang big-boy football team and played their guts out Saturday night and won that CCG and perfect season.

The committee didn't want to risk a blowout of a team without their star QB. That is why they got left out. Who doesn't get this? It's all a great story. They don't care about a great story. They want ratings and no blowouts, see TCU-Uga last year and multiple games in prior years.

If Travis is healthy, they are in. He isn't and they aren't. It's not a true playoff. It's like The Masters, it's an invitational tournament at the discretion of the committee and they can invite anyone they want for whatever reason.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
If UGA beats Bama, would FSU be in? Is there even a “crisis” for the committee?

The general consensus is that it would have been UGA, Michigan, Washington, and FSU, with Texas on the outside looking in

If Uga beats Bama and Travis is healthy, FSU is in. With him hurt, TX likely gets the last spot. Without Travis, they are not one of the 4 best teams per the committee. It's their party, they get to invite who they want.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think this is a great point here. If UGA wins then I think that lineup is what you would have seen. But because UGA lost the committee had to get an SEC team in and the only way to justify Bama was to include texas above them and thus FSU got dropped. I think the committee/espn is using the QB debate against FSU to cloud the real reasoning here, that an SEC team had to be included and Texas handcuffed the committee by whipping bama at bama earlier in the year.
I think this has merit, but why does an SEC “have” to get in? The contract is done. The money is in. It doesn’t matter what the viewership is.

Someone earlier mentioned that the Committee wants to avoid a blowout. I think this is also something that has merit .. FSU was undefeated and played an opponent set with a 77-79 record. Bama was 12-1 and played an opponent set with a 98-61 record. You could argue either way IMO, as there is no right answer.

The debate rages …

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
If Uga beats Bama and Travis is healthy, FSU is in. With him hurt, TX likely gets the last spot. Without Travis, they are not one of the 4 best teams per the committee. It's their party, they get to invite who they want.
If UGA beats Bama then FSU would have been in and there would barely be any talk at all about the injury to Travis. It became an issue when there was a risk the SEC would have been left out.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Correct. Basically a made for tv event. I don't understand why people are so hot about it. If FSU had Travis and won ugly the last two weeks, they still get in. They don't have him, thus they are not as good as they were a month ago. They had some close calls this year, but pulled them out. A committee of former and current industry insiders looked at the current state of teams and didn't pick FSU because they aren't as good they were without their starting QB. They don't want any more blowouts if they can prevent it. Thus, Bama is in, FSU is out. There are no set criteria. So, they can do whatever they want, sort of like a football player in Athens. No one is going to punish them or send them to jail for what they do. So they do what they think is best. Sometimes they're right and sometimes they're wrong. But it is what it is.
This is where I disagree with you. I think the injury to Travis is a red herring to justify screwing FSU. But they were going to screw FSU no matter if he was injured or not, because they had to put the SEC champ as well as the one loss Big12 champ who beat Bama in the playoffs. This is just politucal spin to explain what they did. They would have spun it differently if Travis was not hurt, but it still would be the same four teams. Just one idiots opinion.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I’m speculating, but I think it was put in as a deterrent to those players who opt not to play post season, for whatever reason.
So let’s play this out to its inevitable conclusion.
If we are going to rule out teams because of injury or participation concerns, then we should have all of the teams pledge an oath to Postseason College Football Invitational Tournament that they agree to participate in all PCFIT games and swear on their NIL that they will do their absolute bestest in all PCFIT games and appearances regardless of individual draft status or team PCFIT seeding. Once we’ve received the required documents (signed and notarized, thank you), we can proceed with selection and seeding of the PCFIT.

Last edited:

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I think this has merit, but why does an SEC “have” to get in? The contract is done. The money is in. It doesn’t matter what the viewership is.

Someone earlier mentioned that the Committee wants to avoid a blowout. I think this is also something that has merit .. FSU was undefeated and played an opponent set with a 77-79 record. Bama was 12-1 and played an opponent set with a 98-61 record. You could argue either way IMO, as there is no right answer.

The debate rages …
FSU hasn’t given up more than 20 points since September. Nobody is going to blow them out.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
This is where I disagree with you. I think the injury to Travis is a red herring to justify screwing FSU. But they were going to screw FSU no matter if he was injured or not, because they had to put the SEC champ as well as the one loss Big12 champ who beat Bama in the playoffs. This is just politucal spin to explain what they did. They would have spun it differently if Travis was not hurt, but it still would be the same four teams. Just one idiots opinion.
Two idiots, sir.
I’m with you.

IMG_7807.gif

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
After all is said and done, I propose that the ACC, what’s left of the PAC 12, the remaining members of the Big 12, and all the G5 teams say “ screw you) to the CFP, drop out and form the RHSCFP (Red Headed Step Child Football Playoff). After the two FP’s have decided their winner, they can have a collegiate version of the Super Bowl. Hey, it advanced the old AFL into an equal status, especially after the third year.

I say this in jest….sort of.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Through most of the stat measures, yes. The NFL doesn’t pick the best teams for the playoffs—none of the pro leagues have that standard—but they’re up front about how to qualify. The CFP is more vague and arbitrary

One argument against using the best four is “wins matter”, but booting out FSU conflicts with that. The argument against Liberty is “resume matters”, but booting out FSU conflicts with that.

If Patrick Mahomes gets injured tomorrow, Kansas City is still in the playoffs. No other self-respecting sport would do this.
Self respect in regards to cfb went out the window quite awhile ago i’m afraid