CFP Discussion

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Washington would be a 10 point underdog against UGA or Ohio St. if we are truly taking the 4 best beauty pageant winners then they shouldn’t be in either. In reality, 4 best teams only matters if there is a chance an SEC team might get left out.
To draw out the money, maybe. In terms of on field performance, I’m not buying that. I don’t think anyone should be excited about lining up against Washington this year. I’m pulling for them as the least of all evils, even though I think they are a REALLY good team and probably deserve the 1 seed

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
FSU didn't belong. They are not currently one of the 4 best teams in the country.
This is literally unprovable since they were left out, I don't know why you are so obsessively repeating it.

There were 4 FBS teams that were undefeated at the end of the season, and how convenient, there were 4 spots available if the CFP. Michigan, Washington, FSU, and Liberty. We could have had a playoff that resulted in a single remaining undefeated team, the true champion. Literally the best possible outcome, nothing to dispute. But nope, let's toss that out the window to stick in two teams that already got beat, create a massive controversy and disputed title, and piss off a large portion of the viewers/fanbases. Great ****ing plan.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
What about Oklahoma, who beat Texas and got utterly ripped off in their OSU game? They are really a 1-loss team and the only team to beat UTA.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Well, that means that in the rivalry games next year ahead of the conference championship games next year, candidates for the so called "playoff" will see their QBs targeted. Knock them out and you knock out their chances at the championship. It's that simple.

I thought you were supposed to do that anyway.

See Florida/FSU game 1996. FSU killed Danny Weurfell. As I recall, Spurrier blasted the refs for not calling more penalties on FSU, they had a rematch in the Sugar Bowl and FSU got called for hitting Weurfell and Florida drilled them.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
This is literally unprovable since they were left out, I don't know why you are so obsessively repeating it.

There were 4 FBS teams that were undefeated at the end of the season, and how convenient, there were 4 spots available if the CFP. Michigan, Washington, FSU, and Liberty. We could have had a playoff that resulted in a single remaining undefeated team, the true champion. Literally the best possible outcome, nothing to dispute. But nope, let's toss that out the window to stick in two teams that already got beat, create a massive controversy and disputed title, and piss off a large portion of the viewers/fanbases. Great ****ing plan.

Because everyone is saying it is "unfair." It's totally fair. A committee was set up to pick four teams to be in a so called "playoff." The "playoff" makes a ton of money for college football. There are no real set rules on who the committee "must" pick. The picked four teams and left FSU out due to them not having their star QB and which would "likely" have led to them getting beat by a large margin or possibly a small margin, but without their "star." After several blowouts the last few years, including the national championship game last year, they didn't want the risk of that happening again. So, they added Bama and dropped FSU. Thus, FSU is not one of the committee's selected four teams and, most realistic people would agree that they are not one of the four best teams in the country RIGHT NOW.

No one would argue that Liberty deserves to be in the playoff. That is undeniable. Similarly, the committee doesn't think, and most people agree, that FSU is not one of the four best teams RIGHT NOW.

It's a tv show. It's not a real playoff.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
To draw out the money, maybe. In terms of on field performance, I’m not buying that. I don’t think anyone should be excited about lining up against Washington this year. I’m pulling for them as the least of all evils, even though I think they are a REALLY good team and probably deserve the 1 seed
I personally believe that Washington deserves their spot and should be the #1 seed, but I also don’t think they are better than UGA or Ohio State, nor do I believe the committee thinks that. So why are they in? The whole 4 best teams thing doesn’t apply unless they need it to. All of their policies exist only to give them excuses to basically take whoever they want. They would never leave the SEC out under any circumstances.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Because everyone is saying it is "unfair." It's totally fair. A committee was set up to pick four teams to be in a so called "playoff." The "playoff" makes a ton of money for college football. There are no real set rules on who the committee "must" pick. The picked four teams and left FSU out due to them not having their star QB and which would "likely" have led to them getting beat by a large margin or possibly a small margin, but without their "star." After several blowouts the last few years, including the national championship game last year, they didn't want the risk of that happening again. So, they added Bama and dropped FSU. Thus, FSU is not one of the committee's selected four teams and, most realistic people would agree that they are not one of the four best teams in the country RIGHT NOW.

No one would argue that Liberty deserves to be in the playoff. That is undeniable. Similarly, the committee doesn't think, and most people agree, that FSU is not one of the four best teams RIGHT NOW.

lol I'm arguing it right now, the G5 are a lot better than people want to give them credit for. Bama needed a miracle 4th down pass to beat 6-6 Auburn, who a week earlier got absolutely stomped by New Mexico State in their own house. Liberty then proceeded to beat New Mexico State by 2 scores. Sure sounds to me like they might possibly be better than Bama.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I just want these guys who know the future to tell me who wins so I can make some of that money myself. Please send me a PM to let me know. You can send me money, too, to invest for you.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
See Florida/FSU game 1996. FSU killed Danny Weurfell. As I recall, Spurrier blasted the refs for not calling more penalties on FSU, they had a rematch in the Sugar Bowl and FSU got called for hitting Weurfell and Florida drilled them.
Uh huh, I know. My point is that for the price of a 15-yard penalty, you can now knock your rival out of the "playoff".

stingerman

Georgia Tech Fan
We really need a lawsuit here, with full discovery and a public hearing of the notes, correspondence, and other documents underlying the committee's decision. If those factors go outside the established rules, I don't see how that is not a breach with the result being a valid $6 million claim for the ACC lost revenue.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck

Please stop using that word "best;" it is insulting. The committee picked four teams to generate money is accurate. Their final selections have little or nothing to do with actual measured performance on the field of play. Maybe what you mean is the committee picked the four teams "best" suited to generate massive amounts of revenue for ESPN and incidentally each committee member's pocket.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We really need a lawsuit here, with full discovery and a public hearing of the notes, correspondence, and other documents underlying the committee's decision. If those factors go outside the established rules, I don't see how that is not a breach with the result being a valid $6 million claim for the ACC lost revenue.
The established rules allow for exceptions in the event a player instrumental to the team, is not available.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Just wanted to stop by and congratulate those posters that said the committee would not leave an SEC team out - you were all correct.

I think it was the incorrect call - the games on the field need to matter (and FSU beat its last 2 opponents by larger margins than AL beat its last two teams - everyone seems to have collective amnesia about the Auburn game), but that's over.

I'm rooting for Washington. I've said from the beginning of the season that it would be the most college football thing ever for a PAC team to win the NC in a year the league falls apart.

I also think alot of people are sleeping on Washington. They have more wins against FBS teams with winning records than any other team in the country. They also have more road/neutral wins over FBS teams with winning records than anyone else. They were destroying teams early in the season, had some injuries and started winning tight game instread. At first I saw that as a negative, but as the season went on I saw it more as a positive. That is a team that knows how to play in close games against good teams.

They may or may not win, but Wash deserves to be there, and they have a legit argument for being the #1 seed.

Fans tend to get too enamoured of teams blowing out opponents. How did that work out for OR and UGA this weekend? They spent the majority of the last 6 weeks blowing out opponents.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
lol I'm arguing it right now, the G5 are a lot better than people want to give them credit for. Bama needed a miracle 4th down pass to beat 6-6 Auburn, who a week earlier got absolutely stomped by New Mexico State in their own house. Liberty then proceeded to beat New Mexico State by 2 scores. Sure sounds to me like they might possibly be better than Bama.

Ok, no "reasonable" person would argue that Liberty, with their No. 132 strength of schedule, should be in the CFP.

And everyone keeps bringing up the Auburn game, but no one is bringing up the FSU/BC game where FSU needed a last minute 4th down stand to win by 2 against a mediocre BC team (that beat us) or the Clemson game, where a 29 yard field goal by Clemson with a minute left leads to an FSU loss. No one cares about any of that.

If Bama and FSU play right now with both teams at full strength, I think Bama wins 4 of 5. If they play with the FSU QB situation, Bama wins 5/5.

There are no real criteria. FSU is a lesser team without their star QB. It's a tv show, not the GA High School playoffs or the NFL where if you win your division or region or get a wild card, you are in. 12 people made the decision. That's it. Fairness and Auburn and gutty wins with their 3rd string QB don't matter. Ratings and hoping for close games with star players matter.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

Some lawyers in Tallahassee would love that. Lots of billable hours for an unwinnable case!! There are no set rules. The committee decides. It unfortunate that Jordan Travis got hurt. That wound up costing his team a spot in the CFP. But that's what kept them out because they're aren't' as good now as they were four weeks ago. It's a tv show with lots of money on the table. No one, figuratively, wants to see if Ollie can make the two granny free throws to get Hickory to the state championship game. They want to see stars compete for a made for tv championship in the CFP Invitational.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Just wanted to stop by and congratulate those posters that said the committee would not leave an SEC team out - you were all correct.

I think it was the incorrect call - the games on the field need to matter (and FSU beat its last 2 opponents by larger margins than AL beat its last two teams - everyone seems to have collective amnesia about the Auburn game), but that's over.

I'm rooting for Washington. I've said from the beginning of the season that it would be the most college football thing ever for a PAC team to win the NC in a year the league falls apart.

I also think alot of people are sleeping on Washington. They have more wins against FBS teams with winning records than any other team in the country. They also have more road/neutral wins over FBS teams with winning records than anyone else. They were destroying teams early in the season, had some injuries and started winning tight game instread. At first I saw that as a negative, but as the season went on I saw it more as a positive. That is a team that knows how to play in close games against good teams.

They may or may not win, but Wash deserves to be there, and they have a legit argument for being the #1 seed.

Fans tend to get too enamoured of teams blowing out opponents. How did that work out for OR and UGA this weekend? They spent the majority of the last 6 weeks blowing out opponents.
I would love to see Washington win it all.