CFP Discussion

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
All FSU has to do is go out and beat Georgia to put give the ultimate **** you to the committee. No use in complaining. Show them and everyone else that they were wrong.

With that said, FSU could win end Michigan could win by 14+ and the SEC superiority narrative will still be there.
Ill give you a preview if FSU wins. UGA didn't want to be here, had multiple players opting out, etc. etc. FSU will get no credit at all for beating them. ESPN will make sure the announcers for the game reiterate how unmotivated UGA is multiple times during the broadcast. If I am pro prospect on FSU's team then there is no way im playing in this game. It's pointless.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
This also gives us a preview for what is going to happen with a 12 team playoff. I believe the current 6 conference champion + 6 at large (6+6) will get changed to 5 conference champions + 7 at large due to the dismantling of the PAC-12, and that change will happen before next year's playoff.
  • One team from the Big 12 (Champion only)
  • One team from the ACC (Champion only)
  • One team from a G5 Conference (highest ranked G5 Conference Champion)
  • The remaining Nine will all come from the SEC and B1G
    • Most years with have 5 SEC and 4 B1G
    • Some years will have that reversed with 5 B1G
    • And some years will have 6 SEC and only 3 B1G
A playoff worthy 11-2 or 10-2 GT will get passed over for 1 or more 9-3 SEC or B1G teams. FSU getting snubbed this year means it is more likely GT gets snubbed at some point in the future.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Fair.

In full disclosure.. I don’t think Bama should’ve gotten in.

But …

1. FSU won 13 games against opponents who posted a net losing record. Bama didn’t.
I can understand this, but u(sic)ga also had opponents who had a net losing record. Do you hear that argument made against them or would have been considered if they had beaten Bama?

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
This also gives us a preview for what is going to happen with a 12 team playoff. I believe the current 6 conference champion + 6 at large (6+6) will get changed to 5 conference champions + 7 at large due to the dismantling of the PAC-12, and that change will happen before next year's playoff.
A playoff worthy 11-2 or 10-2 GT will get passed over for 1 or more 9-3 SEC or B1G teams. FSU getting snubbed this year means it is more likely GT gets snubbed at some point in the future.

I agree but it should further drive the ultimate push to two leagues: semi-pros with no academic requirements and a league of student athletes. The former has been in practice for a while just like paying players pre-NIL.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
1994 Penn State comes to mind among the other teams (2004 Auburn) that were completely shafted by the system, whether MNC manure, BCS bs, or with the current CFP crap. Penn State went 12-0, Auburn 13-0. And it's not like they were from the WAC or MAC. The whole thing just stinks.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I know some will see your post as histrionic but if so they haven’t been paying attention. The ACC dominated the SEC this year and got shut out. And, had FSU lost their game, the SEC would have two teams in the playoffs. This is our future.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
A playoff worthy 11-2 or 10-2 GT will get passed over for 1 or more 9-3 SEC or B1G teams. FSU getting snubbed this year means it is more likely GT gets snubbed at some point in the future

I think you are right on the format but still have a question. Currently only conference champions can earn a bye for slots 1-4. Do you think they will keep that? My guess is they will eliminate that and seeds will be based totally on where you finish. What do you think?

slugboy

Staff member
I agree but it should further drive the ultimate push to two leagues: semi-pros with no academic requirements and a league of student athletes. The former has been in practice for a while just like paying players pre-NIL.
That split happened for the ivies and for d-3 a long time ago.

Big leagues don’t happen without some coordination-mlb draft, revenue sharing, etc.

There’s no agreement to make a P5 work. This is going to be ugly, and I don’t expect Congress to help.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
That split happened for the ivies and for d-3 a long time ago.

Big leagues don’t happen without some coordination-mlb draft, revenue sharing, etc.

There’s no agreement to make a P5 work. This is going to be ugly, and I don’t expect Congress to help.

Good points. I’ll admit I don’t understand how it will happen. In practice, the ACC was relegated to G5/6 yesterday. And starting next year, it’s just P2 and the other conferences (G7/8?).

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I can understand this, but u(sic)ga also had opponents who had a net losing record. Do you hear that argument made against them or would have been considered if they had beaten Bama?
They would have been conference champs and a number 1. IMO, I don’t think they should have been ranked No 1 based on the quality of their opponents.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I think you are right on the format but still have a question. Currently only conference champions can earn a bye for slots 1-4. Do you think they will keep that? My guess is they will eliminate that and seeds will be based totally on where you finish. What do you think?
Agree. That precedent was set yesterday.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Agree. That precedent was set yesterday.
I think the human condition is to control and an ungodly amount of influence will be brought to bear now on seeding. In short, no they won’t keep their word there either. They simply know better. The SECheat is the GOAT and must not ever be disrespected.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
This article pretty much sums up the ineptitude of this committee.

I blame ESPN for their propaganda and bias opinion of the SEC. My hope is very soon ESPN goes under along with the SEC.
And one day we go back to real college football no ESPN, NIL and no portal.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Guys, it's really simple. It isn't a real "playoff" with set rules like the NFL, NBA or MLB. "Win your division and you're in. Win the wild card and you're in." It's a tv show that is all about the money. If FSU doesn't lose their QB and/or wins impressively against a bad Florida team and a pretty good Louisville team, they probably get in. They lost their star players and likely couldn't compete with the other teams in the CFP.

After several years of blowouts in the semis and then last year's blowout of TCU in the finals, they weren't going to put in a team that lost their star quarterback. That's life. If there were a rule saying that any undefeated Power 5 champion gets in and then they left them out, they'd have a case. They don't. It's a tv show that is all about the money. Right now as they stand today, Alabama is a better team than FSU. That's it. That simple.

While I do hate it for the conference, I do find a bit of joy in FSU getting screwed after their whining about the ACC and money. They have made no friends over the past few months. Not saying it came back to bite them, but it does bring a small smile to my face. ;)

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Guys, it's really simple. It isn't a real "playoff" with set rules like the NFL, NBA or MLB. "Win your division and you're in. Win the wild card and you're in." It's a tv show that is all about the money. If FSU doesn't lose their QB and/or wins impressively against a bad Florida team and a pretty good Louisville team, they probably get in. They lost their star players and likely couldn't compete with the other teams in the CFP.

After several years of blowouts in the semis and then last year's blowout of TCU in the finals, they weren't going to put in a team that lost their star quarterback. That's life. If there were a rule saying that any undefeated Power 5 champion gets in and then they left them out, they'd have a case. They don't. It's a tv show that is all about the money. Right now as they stand today, Alabama is a better team than FSU. That's it. That simple.

While I do hate it for the conference, I do find a bit of joy in FSU getting screwed after their whining about the ACC and money. They have made no friends over the past few months. Not saying it came back to bite them, but it does bring a small smile to my face. ;)
I think you’re profoundly stating the obvious here, but thanks all the same. The issue is no one knows how FSU will perform with their JR backup QB getting all reps for a month.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I think you’re profoundly stating the obvious here, but thanks all the same. The issue is no one knows how FSU will perform with their JR backup QB getting all reps for a month.

True, but they have the Florida game, which he played in and threw for 134 yard and they "only" beat a 5-7 Florida team 24-15. So, he wasn't Cardell Jones at OSU.

If they beat a bad Florida team, with their backup QB, by three touchdowns, maybe they get in. I don't think anyone could argue that they are the same team without their start QB, even if the backup is serviceable. No one wants to see a team with their backup QB get beat in the playoffs when there are better options out there. In the end, it IS a beauty contest and a TV show. Just like it has always been.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
They claim it is the best team at the end of the season, not the most deserving (FSU). This argument is flawed since the really best team may have 2 early season losses but at the end of their season they aren't even on their radar.

Last edited:

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
True, but they have the Florida game, which he played in and threw for 134 yard and they "only" beat a 5-7 Florida team 24-15. So, he wasn't Cardell Jones at OSU.

If they beat a bad Florida team, with their backup QB, by three touchdowns, maybe they get in. I don't think anyone could argue that they are the same team without their start QB, even if the backup is serviceable. No one wants to see a team with their backup QB get beat in the playoffs when there are better options out there. In the end, it IS a beauty contest and a TV show. Just like it has always been.
And again, if we just shrug and say it's a TV show then it makes sense. Those who want a playoff also want the team that persevered through adversity to get their due shot. A team that wins in spite of adversity is displaying strength, not weakness. Therein is the difference. It's an injustice not to let the undefeated team who fought through adversity into the playoff because of what some may "think" might happen. Let the team play - we may be surprised what happens.

ETA: It's designed to be a TV ratings cash cow for ESPN and college football programs, not a playoff. Therein is the motivation for what was done.

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

It was a rivalry game. Did you notice that many of the candidates for the playoff that had rivalry games just before their conference championship games struggled? Georgia beat Tech by 8. Washington beat WSU by 3. Alabama, the team that supplanted FSU, beat Auburn by a miracle. And FSU beat Florida by 9, even with their backup QB.