CFP Discussion

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Actual results have to matter more than hypotheticals. If not, why the **** do we even play the games? Just give the preseason top four playoff spots. UGA would be favored against all these teams. Well they were favored against Alabama and lost. Alabama would be favored against all of these teams. Well they were favored against Texas and lost. The media had already written it in stone that Oregon would beat Washington in the rematch. How did that turn out? ACTUAL RESULTS MATTER MORE THAN HYPOTHETICALS. You can’t say they are the “best” with hypotheticals.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Do you think FSU is the same team without their starting QB?
No of course they aren't but what they are is a team that dominated a team they should have putting up 50-something points and a team that won by 2 scores against their SEC rival. And then went out with a true freshman QB yesterday that didn't know if he was going to play until the day of the game and put up more yards than Michigan.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
FWIW, betting markets this morning imply this.

Michigan, Washington, and Texas all have small national championship odds.

Odds are shorter on Bama than FSU. But both of those odds are longer than the other three I mention above. Implied odds look to be about 30% Bama / 70% FSU as the 4th team in.

Dwags are 50-1 to win the natty. Ohio State isn’t even offered anymore.

The odds for Bama just got a lot shorter… implying it’s 50/50 Bama v free shoes.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Criteria #5 which I believed to be made up is not on Page 1, nor on Page 2 describing the selection process. Apparently it got added to one of the "tabs", so significant it is that it doesn't warrant mention except in the footnotes of how to get an SEC team in.
Let’s see…
  1. I copy//paste selection criteria from the CFP website that they state is used to select teams. It includes "unavailability of key players"
  2. You ask where it came from.
  3. I present the link.
  4. You then double down, saying it isn’t part of the criteria.
  5. You then concede its existence, but add your belief that it was “made up” and added to one of the tabs. Duh. All the CFP criteria are “made up”.
Legit question: When do you believe it was snuck into the criteria? Last night after uga lost? Or perhaps early this morning just before I checked their website? I’m too lazy to check the site that scrapes the internet to allow us to see when it was added, but to think it was added just recently to allow an SEC team into the playoffs is a stretch by any measure.

The CFP committee states that it wants transparency. In a couple of days, we’ll know the criteria they used to justify their selections. Let’s hope “undefeated” is the main one.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I never watch these selection shows but I predict today will be the most unwatchable yet. I predict that the committee will get it right: Mich, Wash, FSU, Tx. Then I predict the rest of the show will be about how the “best teams” were left out and how dominant the SEC is and how wrong these results are and how happy everyone should be for the 12 team format to come…

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
Why didn’t they show Athens when they were announced as 6?

Betting market changes didn’t lie. Free shoes was 40-1 right before the unveiling.