CFP Discussion

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Texas beat bama way early in the year. I don’t think that would be the case today especially in a neutral field setting.
But it still happened. Just because you think it might not happen now doesn't change the FACT that it actually did happen. That's why the games are actually played.

Texas should be in over Bama because we already saw that play out...

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
With Bowers and Mckonkey on the sidelines, that was two TD’s right there they didn’t score. That is more than
Likely undeniable.
Oh wait, I thought they only put those two on the sidelines because they were "holding" to win the SEC championship. How did that work out for them? The mutt fans on their forums are now saying that Bowers should have been held out more so that he would have been 100% in the championship game.

Mutt homers just change the narrative every single week to make the mutts the top team in the country, even though it is obvious to everyone else that they are not.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
But it still happened. Just because you think it might not happen now doesn't change the FACT that it actually did happen. That's why the games are actually played.

Frankly, I don't think it would happen. Texas still looks like the better team to me. They beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Oh wait, I thought they only put those two on the sidelines because they were "holding" to win the SEC championship. How did that work out for them? The mutt fans on their forums are now saying that Bowers should have been held out more so that he would have been 100% in the championship game.

Mutt homers just change the narrative every single week to make the mutts the top team in the country, even though it is obvious to everyone else that they are not.
And it's interesting that Ugag gets the injury excuse, but the same situation works against FSU.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Comparing conferences may be interesting & something fans (& media) seem to enjoy debating. But for the purposes of breaking out teams for the playoffs... it's another irrelevant distraction. You need to compare the teams... their conference affiliation is not significant to the discussion.

The fact teams play 8 or 9 game conference schedules makes the problem even more difficult because there are so few head to head (or even common opponents).

I've always thought (no matter the year)... conferences top to bottom are always very evenly matched. Folks can only say a conference is better by cherry-picking the data/results.
Agree and I still think an undefeated UCF team was robbed not getting in the playoffs a few years ago. Totally subjective decision based on preconceived notions about conferences. I seem to remember they completely controlled Auburn in the bowl.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Texas beat bama way early in the year. I don’t think that would be the case today especially in a neutral field setting.

FSU without a doubt could be considered one of the best four if their QB wasn’t hurt.
Look, LFD, you're certainly welcome to your opinion, and I respect that. However, our feelings don't matter. What matters is the season's body of work. No one knows what might happen between now and the playoffs. Injuries, illness, issues can and do happen all the time to any team. We also don't know what FSU's 2nd string QB might accomplish with a solid month to prepare. You cannot let an injury dismantle the work of an entire program over a season. That's my opinion. We'll see what the committee thinks.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
The justification for putting the mutts in the playoffs is that EVERYONE is beatable this year? Really? The mutts have zero chance of getting in the playoffs. They have a loss. That puts them below Michigan, Washington, and FSU. They do not have a conference championship. That putts them below Alabama and Texas.

The mutts are by no reasonable measure obviously one of the best teams in the country.
If you say so.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

To repeat what one football analyst said (Booger) this is not a beauty pageant or trying to guess who is stronger; it’s about results on the field. Throw that out and you are left with chaos.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Reality is. If the two teams were utah and arizona; and in the pac 12; no one would batt an eye to leave them out. But no. Its uga and bama. But the reality is. They should be left out.

U have 3 legit undefeateds. And one champ that beat bama. Any other year. Any other conf but the sec being left out and its a no brainer.

Sec went 7-9 out of conf va p5 Its not so darn strong. They feel entitled. Time to leave em in the cold

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

Mutt homers just change the narrative every single week to make the mutts the top team in the country, even though it is obvious to everyone else that they are

Look, LFD, you're certainly welcome to your opinion, and I respect that. However, our feelings don't matter. What matters is the season's body of work. No one knows what might happen between now and the playoffs. Injuries, illness, issues can and do happen all the time to any team. We also don't know what FSU's 2nd string QB might accomplish with a solid month to prepare. You cannot let an injury dismantle the work of an entire program over a season. That's my opinion. We'll see what the committee thinks.
Do you think FSU is the same team without their starting QB?

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
None of that matters. FSU has earned its spot in the playoffs. Who's "best", is an arbitrary judgement. The question is, who has earned it?
Yes I agree this final four is an earned thing and I’m down with that. I merely was stating who I think the best four best four teams are. This has all gotten twisted around because of IMO certain factors that would derail this further if I brought them into this discussion.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Do you think FSU is the same team without their starting QB?
This is irrelevant. Every team has injuries that effect the team. Do Bowers' and McConkey's injuries make a difference for UGAg? Did Bama's top receiver's injury make a difference for them 2 years ago? How about OSU's Harrison in last year's CFP final? How about JT Daniel going down for OSU a few years ago. That paved the way for Cardale Jones to emerge. How do we know Rodemaker won't be the next Cardale Jones? The answer is yes to all, but that is not a criterion. It happens across all teams - even champions. The point is: it happened, and they still won. It wasn't pretty but they won. Had they lost then too bad so sad, but they won.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Comparing conferences may be interesting & something fans (& media) seem to enjoy debating. But for the purposes of breaking out teams for the playoffs... it's another irrelevant distraction. You need to compare the teams... their conference affiliation is not significant to the discussion.

The fact teams play 8 or 9 game conference schedules makes the problem even more difficult because there are so few head to head (or even common opponents).

I've always thought (no matter the year)... conferences top to bottom are always very evenly matched. Folks can only say a conference is better by cherry-picking the data/results.

Agreeing. Given the variance in how teams play day to day, there is no objective way to say who is the "best" at the end of the season, let alone during the season.

In baseball, where there are 60 games, the same debate rages and you don't know who is "best". But it matters much less since the NCAA play offs have 64 teams and it is all sorted on the field. We'll be better off next year in CFB with 12 teams and even better when we go to more teams. (We will go to more teams when people figure out how to monetize more games.)

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Michigan Washington Alabama Georgia

Those are the four best teams.
SEC Homer, I see. Ignore the data. Ignore the fact that the best win by that conference ALL YEAR was beating Louisville. Ignore losses to teams like New Mexico State. Just proclaim SEC is the best conference and move on.
Who needs facts anyway?