CFP Discussion

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
What is your mathematical model based on, assumptions. That is no better than a group of 12 deciding. With only 12 games and generally only 1 meaningful OOC game there is no way you css as n have a model that isn’t majorly biased.

While yes not every team plays every team, almost every team is connected to each other through the games they play. there are metrics:

Win Margins
Strength of Schedule
Win Quality
Loss Quality
Offensive Rankings
Defensive rankings
Head-to-Head

For example, Liberty is 13-0 and won the CUSA, but they aren’t going to the CFP bc they played bad teams.

These are metrics that are already “applied” by the committee, what’s so different about quantifying them and making it more standardized?

Techastrophe

Georgia Tech Fan
I just don’t understand why we can’t have a more “mathematical” model for ranking. I know that’s the “Techie” in me.

But really, why let an arbitrary group of people decide the fate of college footballs Natty? The metrics are there? Could we not use them in a way to make this better?

Like assign values to wins and losses and SOS and conference play and such. Oh wait? Those metrics exist? And CFP just don’t care? Cool.
Publishing the criteria, metrics, and formulas before the season is inherently more fair. People are going to complain no matter what. It's just easier to defend a subjective vote than an objective mathematical model because you don't have to defend every component of the decision process, only the result.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Hell is freezing over because I'm in agreement with Booger McFarland.
Me too. I NEVER agree with him but he’s right. This is not a beauty pageant. This is not about who you think looks the best or will be the most competitive in a playoff. It is about who deserves it because they won on the field of play.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
When did this "deserving" v "best" lexicon get introduced into this whole thing. Kirby using those terms now.

Nobody can agree on 4 best... & who's to say the 4 deserving aren't also the 4 best. ??

FSU is playing right now with a QB that will not start in the CFB playoff. If FSU wins tonight... it makes its win MORE impressive... not less.
From the CFP press conference on 11/28/23
Q. There is definitely a degree of recency bias I suppose in all the teams, how they're playing right now, and I guess I ask the age-old question of most deserving versus four best. We've heard protocol referred to for conference champions. Can you maybe clarify those terms and concepts that we're dealing with there?
BILL HANCOCK: I appreciate your asking that question. It is best. Most deserving is not anything in the committee's lexicon. They are to rank the best teams in order, and that's what they do. Just keep that word in mind, best teams.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
Me too. I NEVER agree with him but he’s right. This is not a beauty pageant. This is not about who you think looks the best or will be the most competitive in a playoff. It is about who deserves it because they won on the field of play.
Yeah, with the back to back 1 possesion win against GT and loss to Alabama in the SECCG. uGA isn’t one of the prettiest 4 teams even.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, with the back to back 1 possesion win against GT and loss to Alabama in the SECCG. uGA isn’t one of the prettiest 4 teams even.
Now that you mention it. They fattened their record on a lot of cupcakes too.

Problem is perception. All those mediocre SEC teams they beat get ranked higher than they should. So that cancels out the five cupcakes they played.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If I was Buster, I would’ve sent an email to Bamas OC containing every play from our game. It’s THWg til I die.

Key coached for Saban, played/coaches for a school that breathes hate for UGA, and just came off a close loss to our most hated rival. Hmm...🤔

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
The SEC has a losing record against other P5 conference teams this year! The ACC has a winning record therefore the ACC is a better conference then the SEC. Saying the SEC teams are "better" is pure subjective bias without any quantitative metrics! You can only say they are better cause they beat other teams in their conference who you say SHOULD be good.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I still think all conference champions would've solved all issues but they could've just used the BCS to settle the top 4 as well. Instead they needed to make a completely biased committee decide. BCS wasn't all metrics either, they used a human poll for a certain percentage.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
The SEC has a losing record against other P5 conference teams this year! The ACC has a winning record therefore the ACC is a better conference then the SEC. Saying the SEC teams are "better" is pure subjective bias without any quantitative metrics! You can only say they are better cause they beat other teams in their conference who you say SHOULD be good.

If only the committee had access to these widely available and advertised metrics. Such a shame

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Oh. To be team that showed Alabama how to take down U(suck)GA. And now not only Georgia is out of CFP, the SEC might be out entirely. I never thought I would say it but Fight, Fight, Fight for FSU.
Yeah. I hate it that this whole thing took the wind out of my sails hoping FSU didn’t get in after spending all season trashing the conference - including the recent BS tweets.

So now I’m revising my stance. I want FSU to get in, then be annihilated in game 1 of the semifinals.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Example of that is LSU. They had a high preseason ranking and never dropped out of the rankings. Alabama beat them by two touchdowns. FSU beat them by three touchdowns!

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah. I hate it that this whole thing took the wind out of my sails hoping FSU didn’t get in after spending all season trashing the conference - including the recent BS tweets.

So now I’m revising my stance. I want FSU to get in, then be annihilated in game 1 of the semifinals.
I want a Washington Texas championship game. Max chaos.