CFP Discussion

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Right... most deserving isn't a thing. It hasn't been defined. Why is it out there? It has no meaning. When Kirby & others use it... they are playing word games. Nonsense.
What they are arguing is that actual metrics such as conference championships and head to head results shouldn't actually matter. Kirby is arguing that regardless of the objective data, his team is obviously one of the four best teams in FBS and should be in regardless of whether other teams "deserve" to be in based on their record.

The whole thing, including what Hancock and the committee say is just word salad. The CFP website says "Every FBS team has equal access to the playoff based on its performance.". If that is true, then based on "performance" any undefeated P5 conference champion is "deserving" of making the playoffs. Hancock talks like a marketing salesguy. He is going to gaslight anyone who disagrees with the committee's rankings.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, with the back to back 1 possesion win against GT and loss to Alabama in the SECCG. uGA isn’t one of the prettiest 4 teams even.
Agreed. And yet, if the committee believes all the horse**** Sankey shoveled today - and chances are they do - I’m not convinced they won’t put Bama AND uGA in. Because “best” is wholly subjective.

I hope I’m wrong, but the committee has never given me reason to believe otherwise. They see the SEC as “better,” no matter their out of conference record. So even though they just lost, look at Georgia’s streak that just ended! No one else had a streak like that, or came close! Obviously they’re one of the “best” teams!

It’s a self-licking ice cream cone.

Like I said, hope I’m wrong. :(

CEB

Helluva Engineer
how in the world do you not vote 1. mich 2 wash 3 fsu 4 tex - that would be my vote assuming these half time leads prevail- bama lost to tex and fsu whipped lsu and those are facts - sorry bama and uga but that is the way the old ball bounces - bama should have beaten tex if it wanted in - sankey makes me laugh with his comment of "what if bama didn't schedule tex, you can't punish them for scheduling them" - well maybe he has a case if fsu didn;t beat lsa but they did and those are the facts
The talking heads are rewriting the criteria right before our eyes… or at least they’re trying. They have invested so much in their SEC jocksniffing that they believe the system is broken when actually the SEC didn’t earn it on the field.
Hopefully the committee agrees that an undefeated P5 champ can’t be left out. FSU still has a lot of work to do or its a moot point.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
While yes not every team plays every team, almost every team is connected to each other through the games they play. there are metrics:

Win Margins
Strength of Schedule
Win Quality
Loss Quality
Offensive Rankings
Defensive rankings
Head-to-Head

For example, Liberty is 13-0 and won the CUSA, but they aren’t going to the CFP bc they played bad teams.

These are metrics that are already “applied” by the committee, what’s so different about quantifying them and making it more standardized?
Again it’s all based on assumptions. There is no way to compare GT, Auburn, Rutgers, California, or Texas Tech. They all are 6-6. Any metric using these and most teams is just opinion disguised as facts.

At some point actually watching teams play matters. As it’s all judgment anyway.

College football just does not lend its self to quantifiable metrics for comparison.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
That D is gonna have to be stellar now…

FSU D reading your post ...

Bored To Death Yawn GIF by Aurora Consulting - EIDL Consulting

colton

Georgia Tech Fan
I just don’t understand why we can’t have a more “mathematical” model for ranking. I know that’s the “Techie” in me.

But really, why let an arbitrary group of people decide the fate of college footballs Natty? The metrics are there? Could we not use them in a way to make this better?

Like assign values to wins and losses and SOS and conference play and such. Oh wait? Those metrics exist? And CFP just don’t care? Cool.
Hold on… you might be on to something. Let’s skip this committee hoopla and just have a computer tell us the best teams. Since it’s a computer, we don’t need a “playoff” because it will give us the best 2 teams. I think this would also make the regular season as well as bowl games matter more. Just a thought though.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
There was a game just like this one 12 years ago between two conference powerhouses. It was such a dominating performance of defense that those two teams replayed each other for the BCS national championship. Funny how the narrative changes when the 9-6 teams are from the SEC. A 10-6 ACC game is horrible offense, instead of the 9-6 SEC game which is terrific defense.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Doubters, huh? :cool:

As good as they have been, their O has to find a way to keep them off the field

Yep. It's inexcusable places like FSU and Syracuse have 1 starting QB get hurt and can literally not run any actual offense. That's ridiculous. Especially when you have places like TX with multiple supposed high caliber guys sitting behind their starter. It's better to play than sit multiple years.