CFP Discussion

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
You guys are listening to the talking heads too much, who are not part of the committee. The committee is not leaving out an undefeated P5 Champ. FSU controls their own destiny. The committee also have emphasized the head to the head results of Texas/Bama and Washington/Oregon all season. They aren’t going to flip on that last second. If Bama beats UGA, the SEC will need more chaos to get in.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
You guys are listening to the talking heads too much, who are not part of the committee. The committee is not leaving out an undefeated P5 Champ. FSU controls their own destiny. The committee also have emphasized the head to the head results of Texas/Bama and Washington/Oregon all season. They aren’t going to flip on that last second. If Bama beats UGA, the SEC will need more chaos to get in.
The only people who think the SEC will get left out are fans from other conferences who hate the SEC.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We get that onside kick at the end with over 2:00 left and their sphincters would have been puckering big time. A good friend of mine, who is a mutt, said that the last team with the ball was going to win.

I was at the game with a couple of UGA buddies. One of kept saying GT would be part of the 12 team playoffs sooner than later...they both LOVE the Key hire for us.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
If Bama beats UGAG and takes the SEC title, both finishing 12-1 along with Texas, and they are the 3 highest rates 12-1 teams,
I was at the game with a couple of UGA buddies. One of kept saying GT would be part of the 12 team playoffs sooner than later...they both LOVE the Key hire for us.
If the 12-team playoff is all P5 conference champs, then I would agree. Tech has a decent chance at that if we keep progressing.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
They are drinking their own kool-aid
Hopefully the committee sticks to sealed bottled water…

I’m sure the SEC gets in because I can’t imagine the one single scenario will happen that will leave them out.

That said, if they are truly objective, and adhere to what they’ve stated are their parameters, there is a scenario that SHOULD leave the SEC out.

In fact, if UGA and Washington were both to lose, objectively speaking, Washington would have the better 1-loss resume for an at large team. The scenario where that comes into play is an even longer shot, but it’s objectively true.

Without resulits of next weekend, What “should” happen and what actually happens are both completely conjecture. The only thing I feel somewhat confident about is that we will all be surprised by something.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Extending that hypothetical, where would you rank, among 12-1 teams, Oregon and Washington if Oregon wins the PAC?
If OR wins, Washington is the top 1-loss, non-conf champ, followed UGA (if they lose to Bama).

Oregon is the top 1 loss conference champion, followed by Tx and Bama in that order if all win.

ETA…
Let’s imagine ALL FIVE favorites lose. I see all PAC / SEC:
1. Oregon (12-1 pac champ)
2. Bama (12-1 SEC champ)
3. Washington (12-1 at large)
4. UGA (12-1 at large)

5. tOSU 11-1
6. FSU 12-1

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If OR wins, Washington is the top 1-loss, non-conf champ, followed UGA (if they lose to Bama).

Oregon is the top 1 loss conference champion, followed by Tx and Bama in that order if all win.
According to this guy, Texas has the #1 strength of schedule in the country. Oregon is #59, just behind #58 Ugag:

CEB

Helluva Engineer
According to this guy, Texas has the #1 strength of schedule in the country. Oregon is #59, just behind #58 Ugag:

Oregon is about to get a big bump playing Washington while Tex gets OK State. Im not sure overall schedule strength is going to push Tx over Oregon when OR is already higher and would have an even bigger win.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm probably over-generalizing here; but my point I do believe sticks. I'm operating in the context of the committee's selections at the time of the selection (not in hindsight after the playoff games are played).

Previous additions of this 4-team playoff have come down to 3 'deserving' teams with a need to round out the field with a 4th (less-deserving team) among 2-3 teams... all with an argument they should be the 4th.

This year is shaping up to be different. This year you stand to have 5-6 'deserving' teams where the committee simply is limited to picking only 4. When the dust settles there will still be a ton of arguing over what was 'fair' and there simply is NO WAY to break out the best 4.

The did ask the chairmen last night about FSU and the impact of losing their QB1. I didn't like his answer... "...FSU is a different team without Jordan Travis..." It certainly felt like a hedge to leave door open to not giving FSU the credit for going 13-0 being a P5 champion. Something about that just doesn't sit right with me. There is an unfair assumption (without much of a sample) that Rodemaker at QB is that significant a downgrade. He stepped in down 13-0 in game Jordan was injured and lead team to a lop-sided win... and then won on the road in a hostile environment at UF. That can't be held against him/them. Now.. if they beat a top 15 Louisville team in the ACCCG... how can they be bumped down from #4 (where they are right now with the committee)?

If you're going to say FSU's result on Sat at UF is an indication they aren't as good as their record... then do the same for Alabama. My goodness... they had a 0.000001% chance to be 11-1 right now at one point on Sat night.

Last edited:

CEB

Helluva Engineer
The did ask the chairmen last night about FSU and the impact of losing their QB1. I didn't like his answer... "...FSU is a different team without Travis Jordan..."
please tell me this is your oversight…. The only thing worse than the committee leaving out a 13-0 FSU because of a player injury would be a committee doing that when they don’t even know the name of said player!

I’m in total agreement with the rest of this post by the way…