CFP Discussion

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I actually expect the conference championships will go away. All champions will be determined by ranking and record. By eliminating the conference championship games that allows for an expansion to 16 teams. With the top 16 teams just getting in.

The odds are that will always contain 1 from each conference. With the fill out being primarily from the two main conferences with at least one g5 at large.

It isn't how I would do it but it is the likely way they will do it.
Advertisement fees rule the tv schedule. Oh you are the cellar dweller in a conference = no soup for you.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I actually expect the conference championships will go away. All champions will be determined by ranking and record. By eliminating the conference championship games that allows for an expansion to 16 teams. With the top 16 teams just getting in.

The odds are that will always contain 1 from each conference. With the fill out being primarily from the two main conferences with at least one g5 at large.

It isn't how I would do it but it is the likely way they will do it.
This was my exact thought. With a cfp of at least 12, there's no longer a need for a conference championship game. Now Alabama and uga can both be 12-0 going into the cfp. They have played 1X in the last 12 years in the regular season (excluding the covid year). They've played each other 8X in the regular season since 1992 (32 seasons) and 6 of those were 2008 or earlier.

Last edited:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Conferences should find a way to manipulate schedules so the projected best 3-4 teams any given [upcoming] season do not meet in that regular season. Increase odds of more teams with minimum losses.

Would take a paradigm shift on scheduling where conference opponents are not announced until schedules are announced in January (for ACC).

I don't like this idea but I'm also not a "conference" homer. I'd rather see more good games week to week.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
This was my exact thought. With a cfp of at least 12, there's no longer a need for a conference championship game. Now Alabama and uga can both be 12-0 going into the cfp. They have played 1X in the last 12 years in the regular season.

If we still had divisions it would end up being like this

SEC east Champ
SEC West Champ
BIG 10 East Champ
Big 10 West Champ
ACC Coastal Champ
ACC Atlantic Champ
Big 12 Div 1 champ
Big 12 Div 2 Champ
SEC Wild Card 1 (technically these are any conference but we all know how it works)
Big 10 Wild Card 2 (technically these are any conference but we all know how it works)
G5 Highest rated Champ
G5 Second Highest Rated Champ
Wild card 3 (any conference)
Wild card 4 (any conference)
Wild Card 5 (any conference)
Wild Card 6 (Any conference)

Wild Card week takes place in the current conference championship week

Game 1 Wild card 1 vs wild card 6
Game 2 Wild card 2 vs wild card 5
Game 3 G5 highest vs wild card 4
Game 4 G5 2 vs wild card 3

the second round is determined by seeding.
You seed the division champs so that it works like this
1 vs 8
2 vs 7
3 vs winner game 4
4 vs winner game 1
5 vs winner game 2
6 vs winner game 3

week 3
Winner game 1 vs winner game 6
winner game 2 vs winner game 5
winner game 3 vs winner game 4

week 4
Highest ranked bye
Next two lowest play

week 5
Championship

Now this basically ends up taking the entire month of December and we have extra games but all the traditional major bowls can now host these games. The last week buy sort of allows a team to earn that through play Week 3 is new years weekend
Week 4 is the week after.
week 5 is the week after.

I mean truthfully the best way is to just do a
16-8-4-2 model but i think this is easier to sell while being dumber because it adds an extra week of talking head shows and hype, the who gets the bye becomes a big deal. And it would be easier to sell to the advertisers.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Conferences should find a way to manipulate schedules so the projected best 3-4 teams any given [upcoming] season do not meet in that regular season. Increase odds of more teams with minimum losses.

Would take a paradigm shift on scheduling where conference opponents are not announced until schedules are announced in January (for ACC).

I don't like this idea but I'm also not a "conference" homer. I'd rather see more good games week to week.
Silly me, but I thought the reason for OU and UTA moving to the SECheat was for more quality “inventory “ on game days.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
It will be decided in a smokey back room somewhere by people who have exhibited their biases in the past. I think we all know how that would turn out.
Attached is the current playoff committee with their bios. You should read them. It amazes me how you think everyone is on the take.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
"But some conferences are obviously stronger" is a bit of an ouroboros since the several-decades of beauty-pageant/opinion-based model instead of a tournament of conference champions have a lot to do with why some conferences are obviously stronger. The sport has been a disaster, "championship"-wise, for a long time, which has removed pressure that would otherwise exist to avoid super-packed mega-conferences. And at this point only 2 conferences appear to have any power, which can't be healthy for anyone else long-term, but it's too late to put that horse back in the barn.

But if you think it makes sense because obviously those conferences are going to be better, imagine how you'd sound trying to convince neutral fans of basically any other sport in the world that they should get rid of their current playoff system because sometimes teams got in coming from ****ty divisions and you can't compare head-to-head records for the wild-card spots across divisions, and replace it with a "committee" instead.

You'd be laughed out of the room.

Stockholm syndrome about "that's just how it is in college football" isn't something anyone should be smug about.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

SEC east Champ
SEC West Champ
BIG 10 East Champ
Big 10 West Champ
ACC Coastal Champ
ACC Atlantic Champ
Big 12 Div 1 champ
Big 12 Div 2 Champ
SEC Wild Card 1 (technically these are any conference but we all know how it works)
Big 10 Wild Card 2 (technically these are any conference but we all know how it works)
G5 Highest rated Champ

1 vs 8
2 vs 7
3 vs winner game 4
4 vs winner game 1
5 vs winner game 2
6 vs winner game 3

week 3

week 4
Highest ranked bye
Next two lowest play

week 5
Championship

Now this basically ends up taking the entire month of December and we have extra games but all the traditional major bowls can now host these games. The last week buy sort of allows a team to earn that through play Week 3 is new years weekend

16-8-4-2 model but i think this is easier to sell while being dumber because it adds an extra week of talking head shows and hype, the who gets the bye becomes a big deal. And it would be easier to sell to the advertisers.
Well done.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer

SEC east Champ
SEC West Champ
BIG 10 East Champ
Big 10 West Champ
ACC Coastal Champ
ACC Atlantic Champ
Big 12 Div 1 champ
Big 12 Div 2 Champ
G5 Highest rated Champ

1 vs 8
2 vs 7
3 vs winner game 4
4 vs winner game 1
5 vs winner game 2
6 vs winner game 3

week 3

week 4
Highest ranked bye
Next two lowest play

week 5
Championship

If you go with 16 teams, I would give the four P4 champs two byes and the next four highest rated teams one bye.

Teams 9 thru 16 play each other the first round, teams 5 thru 8 play the first round winners in the second round, and teams 1 thru 4 play the second round winners in the third round. Five weeks covering the second week of December thru the second week of January.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
On the take? Perhaps not. Susceptible to the pro SEC propaganda and having implicit bias towards that conference over the ACC? Perhaps so.
Plus the committee has been run by the same person the entire time. That person was in charge of the BCS for a few years before starting the CFP. They try to stress that the committee turns over and that members of the committee don't stay more than three (I think) years. But the person in charge of the committee has no changed since before there was even a committee. Hancock is still able to direct things as committee members come and go.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The BCS was a thousand times better than sports editors. The 4 team is a thousand times better than the BCS. The 12 team will be a thousand times better than the 4 team. The 24 team will be a thousand times better than the 12. And the iteration after that will be a thousand times better than that.

Just wait in 2 years when we go 10-2, beat UGA, but FSU wins the conference and we don’t get invited and UGA does. Maybe then y’all will wake up and finally see how the ACC is treated and why need to get the heck out of this joke called the ACC.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
well thought out… good work. But I agree with your last paragraph. If the top teams are really that good, they shouldn’t have any problem playing four weeks in a row. Seed them up 1 through 16 and let them all play. No byes, winner take all.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
Are you suggesting that the ESPN/SEC lobby had nothing to do with the selection process to omit FSU?
i agree with what LNJ said.. I'm sure the SEC propaganda has some influence - probably some pro and probably some con. I would encourage you to look at the bios of the 13 people on the committee. They're not a bunch of rubes that don't know anything about football and can't think for themselves. I would imagine some look at ESPN propaganda very similarly to the way RonJohn looks at it.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Attached is the current playoff committee with their bios. You should read them. It amazes me how you think everyone is on the take.

None of that matters. It’s just words. Actions are all that matter. Some of you are just very naive when it comes to understanding human behavior. That is why smart CEO’s and smart Detectives/Investigators don’t go by words but actions and results. The committee reaps what it sows. They are bought and paid for. I wonder why they don’t list on their bios all the suites they watch games from or rounds of golf they didn’t pay for or tickets to this or that. I wonder how much they pay for their meals when they meet? Of course that’s sarcastic because we all know they are on the committee for the perks.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I’m speaking on principle. A championship cannot suppose to cover all conferences if all conferences do not have a chance to compete. This is an inclusive approach, yours is an elitist approach. Elitism is killing college football, IMO. Therefore, I reject your approach. Period.

Elitism controls CFB. You are correct that it will not change. On this we agree.
Good luck slaying those windmills or dying on a lonely hill! As you know you can argue as much as you want but you proposal has zero chance of becoming reality. And for the majority of college fans that's a good thing!