CFP Discussion

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Good luck slaying those windmills or dying on a lonely hill! As you know you can argue as much as you want but you proposal has zero chance of becoming reality. And for the majority of college fans that's a good thing!
Meh. This one is worth fighting for. However, if the G5 AD's/Pres' all just prefer the money to playing, there's not much you can do. CFB has truly jumped the shark.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Good luck slaying those windmills or dying on a lonely hill! As you know you can argue as much as you want but you proposal has zero chance of becoming reality. And for the majority of college fans that's a good thing!
It would be an interesting vote if it were in fact put to a vote of all college football fans. It becomes the fans of the 15 or so schools that are regularly in the playoff now because of the existing system setup versus fans of all the rest of the schools (90-100?) out there that are basically excluded now.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
It would be an interesting vote if it were in fact put to a vote of all college football fans. It becomes the fans of the 15 or so schools that are regularly in the playoff now because of the existing system setup versus fans of all the rest of the schools (90-100?) out there that are basically excluded now.
Not really. It would be the G5 Conferences vs the top 15 teams. Likely any one of the top 15 teams has more national fans than the 5 G5 Champs combined. The 65 or so P4 teams would have no interest in giving G5 teams any more slots in the CFP nor would almost all their fans. It would have zero impact on the top 15 teams but in the "any given year" a non top 15 team could put together a great year and make the CFP.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Not really. It would be the G5 Conferences vs the top 15 teams. Likely any one of the top 15 teams has more national fans than the 5 G5 Champs combined. The 65 or so P4 teams would have no interest in giving G5 teams any more slots in the CFP nor would almost all their fans. It would have zero impact on the top 15 teams but in the "any given year" a non top 15 team could put together a great year and make the CFP.
You’ve got it all figured out. Amazing how you know how all people think.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There are still a bunch of unresolved issues with 12-team playoff, including how the money will be divided. But, the 6+6 model is still in place and requires a unanimous vote to switch to the 5+7 model. That vote was postponed last week when it was clear there was not 100% buy-in for any change. Sankey wants the highest ranked 12 teams irrespective of championships. The American conference wants to maintain the 6+6 model. The PACn wants to maintain the 6+6 until the fate of their conference rehab effort is clear.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
There are still a bunch of unresolved issues with 12-team playoff, including how the money will be divided. But, the 6+6 model is still in place and requires a unanimous vote to switch to the 5+7 model. That vote was postponed last week when it was clear there was not 100% buy-in for any change. Sankey wants the highest ranked 12 teams irrespective of championships. The American conference wants to maintain the 6+6 model. The PACn wants to maintain the 6+6 until the fate of their conference rehab effort is clear.
Seems to me the peasants who have spoken up so far want representation.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
I would never agree to Sankey's demands. There needs to be representation from the Power 4 and at least one Group of 5 champs. The SEC can't swing this by themselves unless they and/or Big Ten decide to hold their own championship. If that is the route they want to go, just get it over with.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I doubt the only consistent across the board response would be “we want a system that is fair.” The problem is different constituencies would define “fair” in different ways. Then there would be a handful of slobs who would say “I don’t care as long as my team gets in.” The smallest subset of slobs would say “I don’t care if it’s fair as long as it’s entertaining.”

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, I doubt the only consistent across the board response would be “we want a system that is fair.” The problem is different constituencies would define “fair” in different ways. Then there would be a handful of slobs who would say “I don’t care as long as my team gets in.” The smallest subset of slobs would say “I don’t care if it’s fair as long as it’s entertaining.”
Draft question, "Dear College Football Fan, would you be in favor of a playoff systems that includes, at a minimum, the conference champion of every conference that play Division I college football?"

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I would never agree to Sankey's demands. There needs to be representation from the Power 4 and at least one Group of 5 champs. The SEC can't swing this by themselves unless they and/or Big Ten decide to hold their own championship. If that is the route they want to go, just get it over with.
Well you are going to be disappointed. I agree with you but the simple fact is that the SEC and BIG call the shots and everyone else puts out sternly worded emails while dancing to whatever tune Sankey tells them too. Does Jim Phillips exist or is he just a computer simulation?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
You’ve got it all figured out. Amazing how you know how all people think.
It’s very simple to understand. P5/4 football is both much better than H5 football and much more popular with a much larger fan base. The CFP is designed to get the “best” teams into a playoff with 12 teams.

There is a committee with published guidelines on how the selections are made.

This is logical and profitable.

Then there is the lonely opposition fighting a fight on a message board where there is very limited interest. The opposition’s only option now is to start an insurgency. Good luck organizing the insurgents. :ROFLMAO: :p

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
It’s very simple to understand. P5/4 football is both much better than H5 football and much more popular with a much larger fan base. The CFP is designed to get the “best” teams into a playoff with 12 teams.

Then there is the lonely opposition fighting a fight on a message board where there is very limited interest. The opposition’s only option now is to start an insurgency. Good luck organizing the insurgents. :ROFLMAO: :p
It's not going to be all that profitable long term to have the 5th or 6th best best SEC team having a rematch with the 3rd best SEC team so they can get to the next round and get obliterated by the 1st ranked SEC team for probably the second time. People will just start tuning out until the final 4 or championship as most of these first round games are pointless and redundant. At least with G5 teams you have some kind of Cinderella story attached.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I don't disagree, but the G5 conferences have a vote in the CFP management team. I don't think they will vote themselves out of the money pool without getting something in return. The same with the PACn schools. You have to play aces when you have them. Remember, changing to a 5+7 model and a distribution plan requires a unanimous vote. The SEC and B1g agreed to this so they could block plans they opposed. Now it's being used against them.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
It's not going to be all that profitable long term to have the 5th or 6th best best SEC team having a rematch with the 3rd best SEC team so they can get to the next round and get obliterated by the 1st ranked SEC team for probably the second time. People will just start tuning out until the final 4 or championship as most of these first round games are pointless and redundant. At least with G5 teams you have some kind of Cinderella story attached.
I guess there’s just going to have to be the fall before they’re going to believe it.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I don't disagree, but the G5 conferences have a vote in the CFP management team. I don't think they will vote themselves out of the money pool without getting something in return. The same with the PACn schools. You have to play aces when you have them. Remember, changing to a 5+7 model and a distribution plan requires a unanimous vote. The SEC and B1g agreed to this so they could block plans they opposed. Now it's being used against them.
At present the selection rules still say the 6 highest ranked Conference Champions and the six highest ranked remaining teams. With the PAC 12 collapse currently 2 G5 teams would get Automatic bids.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If I were a G5 conference commissioner I would hold out for this:

6 top rated conference champs.
6 top rated at large teams that must be conference champs or runner up.
16% of the payout to each P5 conference that has 8 teams and the balance distributed to the other D1 conferences equally.

If teams like Tulane and Liberty and James Madison have a legit shot at the CFP they will soon be like FAU in basketball. That's what I am hoping for.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If you go with 16 teams, I would give the four P4 champs two byes and the next four highest rated teams one bye.

Teams 9 thru 16 play each other the first round, teams 5 thru 8 play the first round winners in the second round, and teams 1 thru 4 play the second round winners in the third round. Five weeks covering the second week of December thru the second week of January.
That's a pretty huge advantage for the popularity contest known as the Top4.