CDS staff speculation.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Agreed, Go Jackets.

The other part is just something I have a difficult time wrapping my head around. DNA I guess.
I wouldn't even reply to it except for the fact you know better. This is the time to get this stuff out of our system. Once fall comes, this subject should just go away.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I don’t know as if I act like that. Both statements regarding the ACCT win can be true. The double standard is also true.
The statement isn’t the issue. The opinion to say the victory means less because of it is. As others have stated that would be the opinion of every UGAG fan, as we would do same to them. When people use the same talking points as our enemies, it’s hard not to treat them as one, even if you know they aren’t. Especially if they seem to always take the enemy’s view point on things.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Let’s get the thread back on target, if you want to continue the thread drift of whether our 2021 ACCT is lesser than other’s feel free to start up a new thread.

If you want to discuss which portion of our fan base is superior, feel free to move the discussions to DMs.

If you want to speculate on CDS’ staff I can confirm you’re actually in the right space. 🤓

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
The @lv20gt hate is getting a little ridiculous to be honest. I personally don’t agree with a lot of what he says. But at least his thoughts are explained in detail and consistent. And when posters like @leatherneckjacket actually do engage in debate rather than name calling, it’s much easier to understand where the difference in opinions lie. And how neither are “wrong.”

Yall are crazy if you think he’s doing anything more than playing devil’s advocate. And if he wasn’t, who would be? If you want an echo chamber, then go to your text message group chat. Blocking a poster who rarely, if ever, makes irrational or emotional posts is ironically an emotional decision. Like where the hell has the debate gone? Since when are we blocking other Tech posters who don’t agree with us? What the hell happened to yall?

If you really wanna do this, check the first time the word “Pastner” was mentioned on this board. You’ll see @Peacone36 said he was the best recruiter in the country as the head coach at Memphis. Yall gonna say @Peacone36 is misinformed or his posts are worthless?
I am sorry, but coming on this board the day after four players hit the portal to complain that the roster construction sucks is not a well thought or reasoned position and it should be called out for its negativity.

And, No, it is not "crazy to think he's doing more than playing devil's advocate."

Also, I do not block people who disagree with me. I block people who seem to have a clear agenda, constantly spew nonsense or negative opinions, and then try to claim they are not saying what they are saying.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
To get back on track, we have hired Karl Hobbs and Pershin Williams. Curtis Allen or Austin Vereen may fill the last opening.
Going to be interesting to see how large the final staff is. Aside from the strength coach and trainer, last year's staff listed 7 positions in addition to Pastner. 3 assistant coaches and a Director of Operations (the DBO is often a younger person expected to eventually become an assistant coach, although Pastner's had been here all 7 years.) B.J. Elder was Director of Player Personnel and there was a Director of Scouting and a Analytics and Assistant Video Coordinator.

Will the new position that appears to be for a mentor type coach be in addition to these positions, or will it replace one of them?

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
Going to be interesting to see how large the final staff is. Aside from the strength coach and trainer, last year's staff listed 7 positions in addition to Pastner. 3 assistant coaches and a Director of Operations (the DBO is often a younger person expected to eventually become an assistant coach, although Pastner's had been here all 7 years.) B.J. Elder was Director of Player Personnel and there was a Director of Scouting and a Analytics and Assistant Video Coordinator.

Will the new position that appears to be for a mentor type coach be in addition to these positions, or will it replace one of them?
Actually Julian Swartz was the first DBO here. Tyler Benson was promoted when Julian was elevated to assistant coach.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
Actually Julian Swartz was the first DBO here. Tyler Benson was promoted when Julian was elevated to assistant coach.
I’m forgot that! Just glanced at the staff list and saw that Benson had been at Tech for the same 7 years as Pastner. Swartz moved up after the LaBarrie debacle I think.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket

Also:
-Ga. Tech Job Listg., Special Assistant to the Head Coach

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Tuning in late...and I'm puzzled.

After Brent Key was named head coach of the football team, there was one stellar hire after another as Key assembled a pretty impressive coaching staff over the course of a few weeks. And there was lots of discussion about the hires in the football forum as each name was announced. New OC. New strength coach. Even two new HS ambassadors, etc.

I realize basketball has fewer coaches, but has HCDS hired anyone, yet? If so, why is there no buzz over the new basketball staff the way there was over the the football staff? If not, why not?

Am I missing something?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
To add, and I’ll tread lightly, I don’t think anyone is particularly impressed with our football hires outside of GT fans. It’s not too difficult to hire guys with high school titles or who won titles in non-coaching roles. Even Al Groh’s Super Bowl ring didn’t move the needle.

The basketball hires, especially Hobbs, has probably earned as much national pub as our football hires combined, if not more.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
To add, and I’ll tread lightly, I don’t think anyone is particularly impressed with our football hires outside of GT fans. It’s not too difficult to hire guys with high school titles or who won titles in non-coaching roles. Even Al Groh’s Super Bowl ring didn’t move the needle.
Seriously?

Of the 92 championships won, only NINE were high school-related. As for non-coaching titles, well...I kinda like the idea that these coaches have been to the mountain top and understand the hard work and dedication it took to get there.

1681772546506.png

So, of these two coaching staffs, which would you say has the more proven track record: football or basketball?

684Bee

Helluva Engineer

The basketball hires, especially Hobbs, has probably earned as much national pub as our football hires combined, if not more.
Bad take.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Seriously?

Of the 92 championships won, only NINE were high school-related. As for non-coaching titles, well...I kinda like the idea that these coaches have been to the mountain top and understand the hard work and dedication it took to get there.

View attachment 14296

So, of these two coaching staffs, which would you say has the more proven track record: football or basketball?
Definitely basketball. They two coaches hired thus far have won championships in roles more directly relevant and translatable to their current jobs.

With that said, I don't want to go further down the path of debating opinions. That's all this is. I want CBK and his assistants to succeed.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
You might need lessons in tripping the light fantastic.

FWIW, I agree with you that the basketball coaching staff hiring appears to better than football. I also believe Coach Key is going to turn around the Football Program. Please don’t bad mouth CBK, Cuse.
I didn’t see Cuse badmouthing CBK as much as saying the basketball staff have more immediate and relatable success to stand on.

Take our OC; I’m excited to have him AND to be fair his two NC Rings were as a (likely more important than your normal, but still) QC position at that other school in Georgia.

Not dogging him, 😉, but that’s a different role than as a OC. I’m hopeful CBK wins quickly and often and that the staff is amazing - so don’t misunderstand my point.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I didn’t see Cuse badmouthing CBK as much as saying the basketball staff have more immediate and relatable success to stand on.

Take our OC; I’m excited to have him AND to be fair his two NC Rings were as a (likely more important than your normal, but still) QC position at that other school in Georgia.

Not dogging him, 😉, but that’s a different role than as a OC. I’m hopeful CBK wins quickly and often and that the staff is amazing - so don’t misunderstand my point.

That was my take on our OC as well. Previous stints as OC wasn't highly impressive, but you hope that getting time under an offensive mastermind like Monken helped him immensely in putting together an offense for GT. Coaches get better, especially ones that learn from good coaches.

IMO, Key's best coaching hire/move was retaining Andrew Thacker. Who would have known that would be the sentiment a year later?!

...end thread hijacking... :)