CDS staff speculation.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I’m speaking generally, not about Stoudamire’s plans.
If you look at https://watchstadium.com/2023-college-basketball-coaching-changes-tracker-02-13-2023/, a lot of head coach positions are still open—maybe even most of them. If you want to hire an assistant with near-term HC ambitions, they may still be angling for one of those jobs. And there will be musical chairs for the next month or two, as head coaches and assistants move.
The coaches convention is this weekend at the Final Four, so things should loosen up soon.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Spoke to my buddy that covers ND and Irish fans are wondering why there has been no mention of staff with CMS and it’s only been 5-6 days.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
How long does it usually take to assemble a staff or at least have one hire?

One thing to keep in mind is that CDS doesn't really have a staff of his own that he can bring with him because he was an assistant in the NBA rather than a head coach at some other place. His last staff at Pacific were primarily west coast guys and don't believe any had P5 experience (although it's possible I missed something along the lines). None really make a lot of sense here from what I can tell.

Overall there aren't any natural quick hires that I could see if we weren't going to retain anybody from the previous staff. So we'll probably have to wait until the musical chairs dies down a bit so anyone gunning for a HC spot knows whether they have it or not, and the better jobs, relative to other openings not just us, start to fill out. Was hoping we'd have at least one hired by this point to help with recruiting but I agree with the poster who mentioned the coaches convention as a likely major timing point about that.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
How long does it usually take to assemble a staff or at least have one hire?

Hold your horses, bro. I put in my application pretty late. I've been told the results if the background check are starting to come in ....

This Is The End GIF by Britannia

Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Members of Pastner's staff didn't start until May. He went the whole first live period by himself.

Seems that won't be the case here.

ETA:. The bench assistants were all announced first week of May for Pastner's staff. Swartz and Benson were announced earlier as support staff, since they came along with Pastner from Memphis.

Pastner was hired April 8th so it was about the month mark that he finished his staff. CDS was hired March 13th. I doubt we want to wait until mid April to make any assistant hires due to how quickly the portal moves and how much we really need to take advantage of it this year. Longer our staff is up in the air the harder it will be to get what we need from the portal.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Spoke to my buddy that covers ND and Irish fans are wondering why there has been no mention of staff with CMS and it’s only been 5-6 days.
Another data point: Syracuse has yet to officially announce their hire for their lone vacancy, though the leading candidate is widely known.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Another data point: Syracuse has yet to officially announce their hire for their lone vacancy, though the leading candidate is widely known.
Cuse,
How do you feel about Autry keeping the previous staff intact and who is the candidate for the last spot?

seedjckt

Georgia Tech Fan
The coaches convention is this weekend at the Final Four, so things should loosen up soon.
The convention is during a bb recruiting dead period.
CDS time to put together at least 2 coaching hires unless he is looking for NBA related coaches.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Cuse,
How do you feel about Autry keeping the previous staff intact and who is the candidate for the last spot?
I'm neutral. Hard to know how much the assistants were helped/hurt by Boeheim's system. GMac and Griffin have their pros/cons e.g., Griffin gets credit for developing Edwards and has the strongest recruiting resume behind Autry (HC).

The rumored assistant is Brenden Straughn who is coming from George Washington. A few interesting things: 1) When Syracuse was in its heyday, they did it by winning the recruiting game in NY/NJ, Philly and the DMV. Straughn is considered an elite recruiter from the area with deep ties to Team Takeover (AAU). 2) Via that connection, Straughn is tied to Justin Moore ('Nova transfer) and Donnie Freeman ('24 top 25 recruit) and has Syracuse firmly in the mix, if not leading for both. 3) I hate this part, but Straughn also got a commit from Trey Autry to George Washington, a '23 recruit and the son of Adrian Autry. After the Buddy Boeheim fiasco (not on court per se, but ripple effect to recruiting), I am hesitant about ramifications here as well.

I expect the assistant announcement to come after the Final 4, as is the case with many teams.