CDS staff speculation.

GT11

GT Athlete
I don’t think it will be DLab, just because he could have been hired already (and been recruiting). I’ve commented before that he got a raw deal, and firing him hurt our recruiting, and that I’d like him back.
He was actually at the Louisville game

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, I do not expect Stoudamire to hire any assistants with GT connections and don't think he really needs to.
He needs to hire the 3 best assistants he believes he can hire that will help him win.

I will add that Karl McCray (head of the Atlanta Celtics) praised the hire of Stoudamire after it was announced. I believe that Stoudamire will be given a real chance to recruit locally regardless of who the assistants are.

The one GT related name that I don't expect to see, but would be interested to see if at some point Stoudamire has an interest in bringing in is Jarrett Jack, currently an asst coach with the Phoenix Suns.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, I do not expect Stoudamire to hire any assistants with GT connections and don't think he really needs to.
He needs to hire the 3 best assistants he believes he can hire that will help him win.

I will add that Karl McCray (head of the Atlanta Celtics) praised the hire of Stoudamire after it was announced. I believe that Stoudamire will be given a real chance to recruit locally regardless of who the assistants are.

The one GT related name that I don't expect to see, but would be interested to see if at some point Stoudamire has an interest in bringing in is Jarrett Jack, currently an asst coach with the Phoenix Suns.

Do you foresee Elder being retained in some capacity or no?

AUFC

Helluva Engineer

I can't speak to the coaching quality of Jack but I like the play strictly from a standpoint of continuing to renew more interest from fans w/ Jack on the staff.

@dtm1997 do you sit in 102 or did you just see him in the concourse @ the Duke game?

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Wish he would leverage his NBA assistant coaching network and ping Jarrett, but I think that JJ likes that NBA lifestyle.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I can't speak to the coaching quality of Jack but I like the play strictly from a standpoint of continuing to renew more interest from fans w/ Jack on the staff.

@dtm1997 do you sit in 102 or did you just see him in the concourse @ the Duke game?
Any times recruits, former players, teams, etc. come to watch, they normally sit in section 103.

I'm in section in 104 and saw him there multiple times. You'll often see Bobby, Dennis, Mark Price, Babul, and others.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Any times recruits, former players, teams, etc. come to watch, they normally sit in section 103.

I'm in section in 104 and saw him there multiple times. You'll often see Bobby, Dennis, Mark Price, Babul, and others.

Was BC at the introductory presser? Just wondering.

JacketsSports

Georgia Tech Fan

The one GT related name that I don't expect to see, but would be interested to see if at some point Stoudamire has an interest in bringing in is Jarrett Jack, currently an asst coach with the Phoenix Suns
+1000 from what I remember or read JJ is very well liked/respected amongst his peers. I know Mark Jackson (NBA TV Analyst) raves about him in one of the games he was broadcasting. I think JJ would check a lot of the boxes for us.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Others elsewhere thought Mfon Udofia would be a good choice also. He's currently coaching at College Park and likely plugged in locally. Think it would be a similarly good pick up.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I can't really see adding Jack as a one of the primary assistants at this point. No college coaching experience at all and only two years in the NBA. I could see bringing him in, in some other role and then promoting him if a spot opens up down the line.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
No word that he was, but I also don't think he lives in ATL full time, like the players in attendance.
He lived in Hilton Head when he first retired. Not sure if he is still there but I think it is likely that he is. Easy place to have privacy.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
How long does it usually take to assemble a staff or at least have one hire?
Members of Pastner's staff didn't start until May. He went the whole first live period by himself.

Seems that won't be the case here.

ETA:. The bench assistants were all announced first week of May for Pastner's staff. Swartz and Benson were announced earlier as support staff, since they came along with Pastner from Memphis.

slugboy

Staff member
How long does it usually take to assemble a staff or at least have one hire?
I’m speaking generally, not about Stoudamire’s plans.
If you look at https://watchstadium.com/2023-college-basketball-coaching-changes-tracker-02-13-2023/, a lot of head coach positions are still open—maybe even most of them. If you want to hire an assistant with near-term HC ambitions, they may still be angling for one of those jobs. And there will be musical chairs for the next month or two, as head coaches and assistants move.