CDS staff speculation.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
No Way Reaction GIF
her poor dad...

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Hobbs would be a good hire.
He has alot of experience (in the Tourney) both as an Asst and HC.
I wonder if he is being targeted for an assistant spot (would almost certainly have to be for Assoc HC) or for the Special Assistant to the HC spot? He would fit in either. He is 61 yrs old.
Agreed. Would be a good hire, as lead bench coach. Would have to hire a couple of younger guys to recruit, but solid hire if true.

The Rutgers board does not think much of him (or Tech for that matter). Weird.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Do we welcome back all those yelling the sky is falling?

Nobody was yelling the sky was falling. The point about not having assistants hired is that it damped the impact of making a quick hire to try and take advantage of the portal to fix the issues with the roster and hopefully prevent transfers. Nobody was acting like we'd end up with terrible assistants or even that we'd be unable to utilize the portal anyways.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The Rutgers board does not think much of him (or Tech for that matter). Weird.

It's because their fans know Rutgers was only accepted into the B1G after GT turned the B1G down...and they know we're just a better school than them.

Of course, Rutgers will soon be making $100 million a year with the B1G. That's a lot of wings, bottles, and wholesome family entertainment at Magic City to drown their inferiority complex...

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Nobody was yelling the sky was falling. The point about not having assistants hired is that it damped the impact of making a quick hire to try and take advantage of the portal to fix the issues with the roster and hopefully prevent transfers. Nobody was acting like we'd end up with terrible assistants or even that we'd be unable to utilize the portal anyways.
What does dampened the impact mean?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
What does dampened the impact mean?

There were some advantages associated with how quick we made the hire. Some of those are still true (having a head coach probably helped prevent possible transfers from core players). Some were more temporary advantages like a quick hire allowing for an earlier start to hitting the portal to try and find solutions to our problems. Not having any staff in place makes that temporary advantage less of a thing compared to waiting to hire someone who was in the NCAAT.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
There were some advantages associated with how quick we made the hire. Some of those are still true (having a head coach probably helped prevent possible transfers from core players). Some were more temporary advantages like a quick hire allowing for an earlier start to hitting the portal to try and find solutions to our problems. Not having any staff in place makes that temporary advantage less of a thing compared to waiting to hire someone who was in the NCAAT.
it also suggests we got our top target. not an advantage, but i like it nonetheless.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
That is an opinion without any facts to back it up. Has anyone said that they wanted to come to Tech but did not because no one contacted them or because we have no assistant coaches? The answer is No. The number of players in the portal who list GT as a possible destination is impressive and, yet without any assistant coaches, we have contacted and secured visits from many of them. We also have two signees. Th truth is you have no idea what the impact of CDS taking his time to hire assistants has been to the program. It is just something you do not like and so you complain about it (and the roster).

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
That is an opinion without any facts to back it up. Has anyone said that they wanted to come to Tech but did not because no one contacted them or because we have no assistant coaches? The answer is No. The number of players in the portal who list GT as a possible destination is impressive and, yet without any assistant coaches, we have contacted and secured visits from many of them. We also have two signees. Th truth is you have no idea what the impact of CDS taking his time to hire assistants has been to the program. It is just something you do not like and so you complain about it (and the roster).
He really doesn't like much of anything.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
It's because their fans know Rutgers was only accepted into the B1G after GT turned the B1G down...and they know we're just a better school than them.

Of course, Rutgers will soon be making $100 million a year with the B1G. That's a lot of wings, bottles, and wholesome family entertainment at Magic City to drown their inferiority complex...
$100M is a lot of coin but they’re still in Jersey. They can buy a brand new white t-shirt and add a couple extra gold chains along with another pound of hair gel, but at the end of the day they’re stuck in suck.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
$100M is a lot of coin but they’re still in Jersey. They can buy a brand new white t-shirt and add a couple extra gold chains along with another pound of hair gel, but at the end of the day they’re stuck in suck.

:ROFLMAO:

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Respectfully, recognizing that's a playful jab, I've been to a basketball game at The RAC and it's a really great environment under Pikiell. Certainly better than what we see most games the past decade at the Thrillerdome.

There football game environment is pretty fun also, albeit needs some better performances.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

The bold is just a laughable argument. Even if it were true that they didn't come here nobody contacted them or because we didn't have assistants in place they wouldn't say it. How many players ever comment about why they didn't go to certain schools?

Yes, it's speculative, just like any number of other factors that have been talked about. It's speculative that we have a better NIL structure in place now. It's speculative that CDS's time as a pro player will be beneficial. It's speculative whether hiring CDS quickly mattered at all to begin with so of course it's speculative whether having a staff or not in place quickly would have helped.

No where did I say we couldn't have success in the portal without a staff. Hell, we could have waited two months to make a hire and still possibly found success in the portal. The quick coaching change itself was a probability thing. We were more likely to have success in the portal with a quick change than a slow one. Not that a quick change guaranteed success or a slow one guaranteed failure. A quick hire of CDS made it more likely to take advantage of the portal. A slow hire of the staff made it less likely. Yes we have two signees. We also have the same basic needs that we had a month ago with regards to big men, and we probably now also need more depth from the portal because of what we lost (which yes, may have little or nothing to do with CDS). Would having a staff in place two weeks ago have changed that? Maybe, and maybe not. It's speculative. But not having a staff didn't make it more likely. And yes, there are other factors to hiring a staff than just the immediate first 3 weeks impact on the portal. But posters here seem to detest anything that can't be summarized in a tweet.

He really doesn't like much of anything.

No, you and others just jump on literally any sign of negativity as if it's someone calling for program to have the death penalty.

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The bold is just a laughable argument. Even if it were true that they didn't come here nobody contacted them or because we didn't have assistants in place they wouldn't say it. How many players ever comment about why they didn't go to certain schools?

Yes, it's speculative, just like any number of other factors that have been talked about. It's speculative that we have a better NIL structure in place now. It's speculative that CDS's time as a pro player will be beneficial. It's speculative whether hiring CDS quickly mattered at all to begin with so of course it's speculative whether having a staff or not in place quickly would have helped.

No where did I say we couldn't have success in the portal without a staff. Hell, we could have waited two months to make a hire and still possibly found success in the portal. The quick coaching change itself was a probability thing. We were more likely to have success in the portal with a quick change than a slow one. Not that a quick change guaranteed success or a slow one guaranteed failure. A quick hire of CDS made it more likely to take advantage of the portal. A slow hire of the staff made it less likely. Yes we have two signees. We also have the same basic needs that we had a month ago with regards to big men, and we probably now also need more depth from the portal because of what we lost (which yes, may have little or nothing to do with CDS). Would having a staff in place two weeks ago have changed that? Maybe, and maybe not. It's speculative. But not having a staff didn't make it more likely. And yes, there are other factors to hiring a staff than just the immediate first 3 weeks impact on the portal. But posters here seem to detest anything that can't be summarized in a tweet.

No, you and others just jump on literally any sign of negativity as if it's someone calling for program to have the death penalty.
All you spew is negativity. Say something good about GT sports if we are wrong. Pessimists always claim to be "realists". Bulls***!

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
All you spew is negativity. Say something good about GT sports if we are wrong. Pessimists always claim to be "realists". Bulls***!

You're full of it. You only focus on when I post negative things because anything slightly negative gets jumped on which lead me to supporting my stance. Like how calling a comparison of Reeves to Okogie was absurd. Somehow that got lambasted as being super negative so I followed it up. But if I post about the shooting data for our guards and wings that was positive, it gets little traction.

Ive been positive on the rumored hire of Hobbs as well as several of the transfer targets we've been connected with. I'm positive about the returning core we have, way more than some. But none of the conversations revolve around the returning core we have at the moment. Hell, my "negativity" in regards to CDS started as me asking for someone to actually explain the upside of the hire which was largely ignored outside of explaining why the Pacific job was a terrible job so what he did was amazing. Then when I asked again, the best response was a hodge podge of twitter posts that were all over the place which seemed more of a collective opinions rather than an argument for any particular stance.

Last edited:

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
You're full of it. You only focus on when I post negative things because anything slightly negative gets jumped on so I have to support my stance. Like how calling a comparison of Reeves to Okogie was absurd. Somehow that got lambasted as being super negative so I had to follow it up.
You could have just let it go. But, oh no, you think you are never, ever wrong. Like early in the season when you belittled the excellent 3 Soph we have, saying none could paly for any other ACC team. Admit that and I'll cut you some slack.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
You could have just let it go. But, oh no, you think you are never, ever wrong. Like early in the season when you belittled the excellent 3 Soph we have, saying none could paly for any other ACC team. Admit that and I'll cut you some slack.

What? Here are some of my posts from earlier in the season.

Coleman shot 41.3% from 3 last year.

Kelly shot 34.7% last year, but started 4-30 in his first 15. In the last 15 against primarily ACC competition he was 21 - 45 which is 46.7%.

Morrow as a freshman shot 36.5% and was 42.9% as a soph, 41.8% as a junior, and then 44.8% as a senior.

Scott as a freshman did hit a ridiculous 47.1% but as a soph he was at 39.7% and as a junior he was 41.4%.

Bonus. Devoe shot 39.3%, 42.7%, 40%, and 36.5%. And anyone would classify him as a pure shooter.

Deebo had a phenomenal year shooting by just about any comparison, and Kelly had a phenominal back half of the schedule shooting. Both need to be mor aggressive looking for their shot but they are absolutely pure shooters.
I think more likely the leading scorer will come from the wing, out of the group of Coleman, Kelly, Maxwell, and Terry. I think either Coleman or Kelly could do it, but I expect Coleman as I think he'll likely play a bit more than the others due to his size allowing him to slide to the 4 in certain circumstances.

In response to this post

Same for the 3. I could see any of Kelly (if he's not playing the one or two), Coleman or Jalon Moore establishing themselves at the 3. Kelly is slight for the 3 but long. Coleman has size, but is not quick and has to learn to use his size instead of floating around the perimeter. He needs to make major changes to his game to be a +ACC starting player. Jalon Moore is the x-factor at this spot. Moore likely has more upside on the defensive end at the 3 than either Kelly or Coleman.

I said

Just letting you know that this take on Coleman will look real bad down the line. And perhaps not even that far down the line.

After a couple of games I posted this.

I think we have good shooters on the team. I think as a team we do very little to generate good looks so a lot of our looks are longer shots, contested shots, etc that lead to lower percentage. For some reason our offense seems designed to generate tough shots at the rim for our wings and guards and does almost nothing to try and generate outside looks.

I was negative about some of the stuff the coaching staff was doing largely because I felt they were not utilizing what we had well.

But please, link where I said anyone couldn't play for another ACC team.