CDS staff speculation.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
Something that I had missed or forgotten is that in January the NCAA increased the allowable number of coaches for basketball from 4 to 6 effective July 1, although only 4 are allowed to recruit off-campus. This explains how GT is able to hire Babcock and Wells (presumably) as Assistant Coaches. Here's a quick chart I put together comparing last year's staff to this year's, based on information from ramblinwreck.com:

MBB Staff.png

I'm really glad to see that GT funded the two new assistant coach positions, and evidently added two other positions as well.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
Something that I had missed or forgotten is that in January the NCAA increased the allowable number of coaches for basketball from 4 to 6 effective July 1, although only 4 are allowed to recruit off-campus. This explains how GT is able to hire Babcock and Wells (presumably) as Assistant Coaches. Here's a quick chart I put together comparing last year's staff to this year's, based on information from ramblinwreck.com:

I'm really glad to see that GT funded the two new assistant coach positions, and evidently added two other positions as well.
BJ Elder got demoted.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Get-bak, get-bak ... it's gotta be here somewhere....

Studying Page Turner GIF by US National Archives

Is it under 'g' for get or 'b' for bak, ya think?

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
100%. That starts at the very top: the President of GT. Cabrera is probably the best thing to happen to GT Athletics in quite a long time.
Let's not crown him yet... Still seems like we are balling on a budget.

Sure, we are hiring more coaches, but its not as if he has injected millions into the program.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

Sure, we are hiring more coaches, but its not as if he has injected millions into the program.

Takes a lot of time when your last few prez/ad's were horrible with sports.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Well, there's that Hyundai deal that's literally injecting millions per year into our athletic budget. From what I've heard, Cabrera and Batt are working on other deals to make us less dependent on certain big donors (this was an issue during the HC Football search). I alluded to that during the football coaching search, and it looks like they got a big one in Hyundai.

For me, the biggest thing is the school and the athletic program seemed to be aligned for the first time since I can remember. We're also not making the usual stupid GT business decisions. That's in itself is a win considering the mind numbing decisions we've made in the past. Without Cabrera, there's no new AD, no new football or basketball coach. The jury is out, but the complexion of our athletic department has completely changed (IMO), and that started with Cabrera.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, there's that Hyundai deal that's literally injecting millions per year into our athletic budget. From what I've heard, Cabrera and Batt are working on other deals to make us less dependent on certain big donors (this was an issue during the HC Football search). I alluded to that during the football coaching search, and it looks like they got a big one in Hyundai.

For me, the biggest thing is the school and the athletic program seemed to be aligned for the first time since I can remember. We're also not making the usual stupid GT business decisions. That's in itself is a win considering the mind numbing decisions we've made in the past. Without Cabrera, there's no new AD, no new football or basketball coach. The jury is out, but the complexion of our athletic department has completely changed (IMO), and that started with Cabrera.

In full disclosure, being a lifetime sidewalk fan, I have never paid very close attention to the Georgia Tech administration beyond the AD.

To be fair, I cannot really him compare against any of the others, but I will grant you that we have positive momentum in our major sports programs for the first time in a long time.

If that can be credited to President Cabrera, then more power to him and his team.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

Curious as to what else you would add if you were the all powerful wizard and could add money/facilities/staff at Will.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Curious as to what else you would add if you were the all powerful wizard and could add money/facilities/staff at Will.
I am not sure how @Connell62 will reply, but I believe we are doing the things we should. I hope we do not try to become uga. More money would be nice, but winning will attract more dollars to the program. We need to start regularly beating the teams at our level.

I have three sons. Two went to GT and the 3rd is a sidewalk fan of uga. He loves uga football in a way neither of his brothers understand. What % of uga fans are grads?

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer

How does it seem that way to you? Maybe reword it so we can better understand.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Here’s one little story about Peterson that I’ll never forget and kinda showed me firsthand what he thought about our sports.

I was at the bowl vs. Kentucky where we were playing unc in basketball in Atlanta the same afternoon. He was right in front of me on the field talking to a couple staff. They told him we had defeated unc in basketball. He said wow I didn’t know we had a game and almost looked irritated that we had upset them. It was just a really odd reaction.