CDS staff speculation.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
How does it seem that way to you? Maybe reword it so we can better understand.
As mentioned, its not something I have spent much time looking into or care about, it is more a general perception. I don't see what he has accomplished to receive such praise.

The first thing that popped into my mind when I read Techsters note was that both Key and Stoudamire received salary's that are less than their predecessor.

I like the fact that we have invested into infrastructure with both but are the budgets that drastically different? I think both will be strong hires, but does that credit go to Cabrera?

Seems that Key fell into their lap, and the stars aligned for Damon. Just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
As mentioned, its not something I have spent much time looking into or care about, it is more a general perception. I don't see what he has accomplished to receive such praise.

The first thing that popped into my mind when I read Techsters note was that both Key and Stoudamire received salary's that are less than their predecessor.

I like the fact that we have invested into infrastructure with both but are the budgets that drastically different? I think both will be strong hires, but does that credit go to Cabrera?

Seems that Key fell into their lap, and the stars aligned for Damon. Just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.

It seems the basketball staff has absolutely increased in positions. Obviously those people have to be paid. A guy like Bonzi Wells has a pedigree to do a lot of things if he wanted so it's a good sign he wanted to be here.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I retract my posting that since 1968, President Cabrera is by far the best in his position for GT Athletics.

Joseph M. Pettit also deserves a lot of credit for helping GT Athletics, maybe more than President Cabrera. Pettit was president of Georgia Tech from 1972 until his death in 1986. Per Wikipedia, Pettit oversaw Georgia Tech's application and admittance into the ACC in 1979. I don’t how much credit Pettit deserves in Homer Rice’s hiring as Athletic Director in 1980, but good things stared happening, Bobby Cremins was hired in 1981. Bobby Ross was hired in 1987.

slugboy

Staff member
I retract my posting that since 1968, President Cabrera is by far the best in his position for GT Athletics.

Joseph M. Pettit also deserves a lot of credit for helping GT Athletics, maybe more than President Cabrera. Pettit was president of Georgia Tech from 1972 until his death in 1986. Per Wikipedia, Pettit oversaw Georgia Tech's application and admittance into the ACC in 1979. I don’t how much credit Pettit deserves in Homer Rice’s hiring as Athletic Director in 1980, but good things stared happening, Bobby Cremins was hired in 1981. Bobby Ross was hired in 1987.
I started at GT when Pettit was president. No, he was at best a bystander. Any success we had was in spite of him.

You can give Homer Rice a lot of credit, but Pettit was an obstacle to sports and a lot of other things here.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

LOL! Pettit despised football. He wanted us to drop down to 1AA In the early 80’s. The only other president other than Cabrera that is mentioned with positivity regarding athletics at GT is Crecine. He helped build the Swimming & Diving teams, upgraded facilities with outside funds under the guise of prepping for the 1996 Olympic Games. He was a huge supporter of GT Athletics. He pissed off the faculty and reduced the control certain powerful alumni had in the GTAA. It got him canned.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It seems the basketball staff has absolutely increased in positions. Obviously those people have to be paid. A guy like Bonzi Wells has a pedigree to do a lot of things if he wanted so it's a good sign he wanted to be here.

Yes, but how much are those guys being paid? You think they doubled the comp pool for hoop? I don't really know, but I think that CDS took a little less (like Key) to get more "support".

In a sense, he bet on himself with the incentive lade contract. We're def. doing more behind the scenes and that is witnessed with the Hyundai deal.

Guess my point is that while he has done a lot of good, he hasn't waved a magic wand and fixed all our problems.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes, but how much are those guys being paid? You think they doubled the comp pool for hoop? I don't really know, but I think that CDS took a little less (like Key) to get more "support".

In a sense, he bet on himself with the incentive lade contract. We're def. doing more behind the scenes and that is witnessed with the Hyundai deal.

Guess my point is that while he has done a lot of good, he hasn't waved a magic wand and fixed all our problems.
Not even close to fixing "all" our problems. But I do see both scenarios as legit steps but baby steps in that direction. We will likely never come close to matching UGA for overall revenue and are limited by the ACC media rights agreement, but Batt does seem to be providing increased support to the 2 major revenue sports and made 2 necessary decisions. Credit for that but the road is still long.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer

They definitely haven’t fixed all the problems. I mean a miracle worker couldn’t that quickly imo. I don’t know if some of our fans (not meaning you) realize how many boneheaded decisions compounded by more of the same went on for years and years.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I started at GT when Pettit was president. No, he was at best a bystander. Any success we had was in spite of him.

You can give Homer Rice a lot of credit, but Pettit was an obstacle to sports and a lot of other things here.
I got out of Georgia Tech a year after Pettit arrived. I knew we entered the ACC and hired Homer Rice under his tenure which improved things, but I guess I shall restate that since 1968, President Cabrera is by far the best in his position for GT Athletics.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Y’all remember when Mark Gottfried had NCST trending up? To me that was a direct correlation to having Bobby Lutz on staff. We have a similar dynamic with Coach Hobbs on staff and CDS appears to be at the very least, on par with MG. This staff is built for a GT revival. I’m really excited.

slugboy

Staff member

MidtownJacket

Staff member
A little more information...

Doesn't infer that he was fired. CDS said ".. . I really look forward to being around him and watching him ascend in this profession.”

The quote you referenced is (I think) from a statement CDS in May when he hired him not current related to his status.

Sounds like it was a personal matter, and will stay that way.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
The quote you referenced is (I think) from a statement CDS in May when he hired him not current related to his status.

Sounds like it was a personal matter, and will stay that way.
Found this too, "“I have no clue (why). It was a personal matter with TP,” Stoudamire said Saturday after Tech defeated Penn State at Madison Square Garden.