CBG buyout = $2.4 million

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow. OK, well this was a horrible decision last year to extend the contract like this. Gotta just deal with it now...

I'd go so far as to say that, if the details of the extension are true, we should be replacing Bobinski this year and have his successor replace BG (if he can't turn it around) in a couple years.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
As stated before, MBob has most if not all of the facts. Those include the GT financial situation and responses to any feelers that have been out.

We, the fans, mostly have speculation and dreams. So basically we are like the sports writers and will have to wait and find out the results.

With that said, interesting that nothing was announced after their meeting yesterday. Granted most agree that it would be bad form to do so during the ACC Tournament or on Selection Sunday.

IMO, we should know something next week.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
As stated before, MBob has most if not all of the facts. Those include the GT financial situation and responses to any feelers that have been out.

We, the fans, mostly have speculation and dreams. So basically we are like the sports writers and will have to wait and find out the results.

With that said, interesting that nothing was announced after their meeting yesterday. Granted most agree that it would be bad form to do so during the ACC Tournament or on Selection Sunday.

IMO, we should know something next week.

The ACC (and most other leagues) generally ask you not to do anything to detract from the conference tournaments. The NCAA would prefer it wait until Monday as well, I'm sure.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
GT fired CPH during the ACC Tourney. I was smack next to the other fans in Greensboro Colisseum, they could care less. Especially a non-Carolina school.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
GT fired CPH during the ACC Tourney. I was smack next to the other fans in Greensboro Colisseum, they could care less. Especially a non-Carolina school.
I agree the fans of any other school could care less. It's the hoity toity administrations of the ACC & other schools that might care. The other thing I'd mention is that I believe we were bumping up against a deadline to either remove him or the next year of his contract got added, so that may have had something to do with timing.

slugboy

Staff member
If there's anything sensitive going on, then anyone in the know should be told to keep quiet. Bad (or even accurate) info at the wrong time can mess a lot of things up.

And if nothings going on, there's a different reason to be quiet. I recommend enjoying the weekend, and wait until Monday (or Tuesday, and so on).

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Outside of breaking rules, and getting arrested, you're not going to fire a coach from a revenue sport without having to pay some sort of buyout. Let's get that out of the way. That's just the way it is in the sports world now.

My only issue with the situation is extending the contract for 2 years for no apparent reason...especially when Bobinski was pretty clear in the press that extending a coach for recruiting purposes was just silly, and a topic only fans and the media make a big deal out of. Also, some on here have framed it as a show of "good faith"...well, not firing someone for having an attrocious 4 year ACC record is good enough faith in my book. When you compare it to CPJ's record and not extending him to give him 4 years left on his contract, it's even more silly to extend CBG.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Outside of breaking rules, and getting arrested, you're not going to fire a coach from a revenue sport without having to pay some sort of buyout. Let's get that out of the way. That's just the way it is in the sports world now.

My only issue with the situation is extending the contract for 2 years for no apparent reason...especially when Bobinski was pretty clear in the press that extending a coach for recruiting purposes was just silly, and a topic only fans and the media make a big deal out of. Also, some on here have framed it as a show of "good faith"...well, not firing someone for having an attrocious 4 year ACC record is good enough faith in my book. When you compare it to CPJ's record and not extending him to give him 4 years left on his contract, it's even more silly to extend CBG.
THIS^^^^ If you have to fire a coach, you'll have to pay the buyout. Not many coaches out there that don't have atleast 3 years left on their contract. I just don't see the reason for upping the buyout when doing the extension. Should have negotiated a lower buyout in exchange for more years IF you do well. A coach in CBG's position has zero bargaining power. Should have worked it to where we only paid him for the years he actually coached PLUS a flat fee.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Just to be clear, CBG was given a six-year contract upon his hiring in March 2011. That's the following seasons:
11-12
12-13
13-14
14-15
15-16
16-17

In November of 2013, he was given an extension of ONE additional season -- 2017-18. The release spells out the reasons for the extension. Hindsight is 20/20, and there was no uproar over this (or Hewitt's new deal after Final Four). Decisions like this are made within the realm of current information and climate.

Speaking to someone about this situation (in general terms) this morning, a friend used a good analogy. It's like being at Thanksgiving, and a relative that you barely know comes up to you and your wife and asks when you're going to have kids. They have no idea what else is going on in your life, your finances, marital issues, low sperm count, etc.

Not to imply that fans are uninformed or should have no input to an AD, but it's impossible to know every detail of a complicated issue involving real people. It's never as simple as fire A and hire B.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@TechCubed That's a solid analogy. The thing that's the most puzzling to me right now is not why we gave him the extension, but, as @Ggee87 also just pointed out, why did we reset the buyout? The current information at that time warranted the extension, imo, but there was no justification for resetting the buyout percentages.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Just to be clear, CBG was given a six-year contract upon his hiring in March 2011. That's the following seasons:
11-12
12-13
13-14
14-15
15-16
16-17

In November of 2013, he was given an extension of ONE additional season -- 2017-18. The release spells out the reasons for the extension. Hindsight is 20/20, and there was no uproar over this (or Hewitt's new deal after Final Four). Decisions like this are made within the realm of current information and climate.

Speaking to someone about this situation (in general terms) this morning, a friend used a good analogy. It's like being at Thanksgiving, and a relative that you barely know comes up to you and your wife and asks when you're going to have kids. They have no idea what else is going on in your life, your finances, marital issues, low sperm count, etc.

Not to imply that fans are uninformed or should have no input to an AD, but it's impossible to know every detail of a complicated issue involving real people. It's never as simple as fire A and hire B.

Except we know the results from the 5 years that preceded the extension. A being a head coach isn't about having kids, marital issues, low sperm count, or whatever instance you may want to compare it to. It's about wins and losses...all the other off the court stuff (graduating players, keeping them out of trouble which he was questionable with anyhow...that's stuff handled by the staff more than the head coach) is secondary. Those five years were not impressive at all...and that's being generous. If anything, you wait until halfway through this season or after this season to make an extension for whatever reason anyone wants to bring up.

The ONLY thing that appears to be holding us back is the financial situation firing previous coaches have saddled us with...something made worse by a really questionable decision to extend the contract.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
@dtm1997 We have to keep in mind his extension was probably a negotiation, not just one sided from the GTAA, therefore, CBG requested his buyout be tweaked. Neither party had much leverage at the time.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
@TechCubed That's a solid analogy. The thing that's the most puzzling to me right now is not why we gave him the extension, but, as @Ggee87 also just pointed out, why did we reset the buyout? The current information at that time warranted the extension, imo, but there was no justification for resetting the buyout percentages.

I don't know answer, but there are a variety of possibilities -- maybe it was a compromise instead of a second year, maybe there was a handshake agreement at the time of original deal, maybe another program was interested in him at the time. Hard to say (because we don't know the facts) other than after two full seasons, there was faith that he had the program headed in the right direction.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
@dtm1997 We have to keep in mind his extension was probably a negotiation, not just one sided from the GTAA, therefore, CBG requested his buyout be tweaked. Neither party had much leverage at the time.
Well I think GT had more leverage than CBG. If you aren't showing much improvement and players are transferring or being kicked off the team... that doesn't scream leverage to me. I understand that this season hadn't happened yet and hindsight is 20/20 but most people could see we werent a very good team and we were losing Miller, Holsey, Golden and Carter Jr. Also had lost the Poole Bros on top of that. Like I said... the extension made sense at the time. Just not resetting the buyout numbers to where they screw you when he continues to come up short.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If neither side had much leverage and GT is rewarding items outside the win column, which a coach is overwhelmingly judged on, then if GT offered more than the additional year, which adds some level of incremental buyout dollars regardless, and the modest raise, then Bobinski goofed big time.

Also, if another program was looking at BG, after not much performance at all, then my personal speculation is Bobinski lets him walk so he can go ahead and install his own guy.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
From GT's side, we were strapped financially and we wanted to give CBG a real chance to turn this around. Recruiting wise he had to have the additional year.

From CBG's side, he wasn't gonna walk away from a contract.

I just think there's more aspects to the extension than "here's an extra year, if that's not enough for you, you can move on."

Of course, all of this is crazy, random speculation on everyone's part cause none of us know the real dealings.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If MBob wanted to give CBG "a chance" in recruiting, or reward him for the off the field stuff...what does it say about CPJ who has somehow shepparded the football team to unprecendented graduation and APR success with 85+ guys (compared to a basketball roster) in an environment like GT, and also never had a losing record, won the ACC Title, and had our team in the ACCCG twice before the 2014 season?

There's a lot of saying one thing, and doing another going on with how MBob treated the CPJ extension and what he did with CBG contract situation.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
FWIW, Chuck Oliver claiming an unnamed source inside GT Athletics-states CBG will be let go this coming week.