CBG buyout = $2.4 million

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
For a school that likes to brag about how many millionaires it produces, our GTAA seems to lack in the fundraising department.

Having contributed to a few of these buyouts in the past, I can tell you that donors like to invest in tangibles like scholarships and buildings rather than coaching contracts. What is (partially) lost in this discussion is that CBG is well-liked by donors, so not much interest when the hat gets passed around.

It's been a tough season no doubt. It's interesting when you think about all the bounces and breaks that went our way during football season, and the exact opposite transpired during basketball season. That margin of error is so thin.

Whatever MBob decides, it'll be a thoughtful decision based on all the factors and will have nothing to with reading message boards or twitter.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Having contributed to a few of these buyouts in the past, I can tell you that donors like to invest in tangibles like scholarships and buildings rather than coaching contracts. What is (partially) lost in this discussion is that CBG is well-liked by donors, so not much interest when the hat gets passed around.

It's been a tough season no doubt. It's interesting when you think about all the bounces and breaks that went our way during football season, and the exact opposite transpired during basketball season. That margin of error is so thin.

Whatever MBob decides, it'll be a thoughtful decision based on all the factors and will have nothing to with reading message boards or twitter.

Definitely appreciate your input. A troubling thing you allude to is that a lot of folks look at what's happening and think that it's just us not getting breaks. That's just not the case IMHO. What we're seeing is a great gentleman who's just in over his head.

Actually I think if we were to hire someone like Price, this is exactly how his tenure and subsequent non-firing would go. No one would want to just cut ties even though it's clear a change needs to be made.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I agree he's well-liked. Even his biggest detractors on this board actually like him as a person.

What I would also point out is that his buyout doesn't become a fundraising opportunity until it's decided he needs to be bought out and I was told that by someone who knows. We aren't necessarily going to go into our pocket unless we have to, but we don't have money on standby to pay for it until the decision occurs.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Given how much Kelly Quinlan stands to lose (namely access to the program which is his livelihood), I find it hard to believe he would step out of line himself to say CBG is done. He was fed that info from someone.

The more likely scenario is the hat is being passed around behind the scenes until there's enough to finally make the call. We saw how much apathy in the program hurt us towards the end of the CPH era...and I don't think we can risk it with giving CBG more time...regardless of how good of a person and ambassador he is.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
For a school that likes to brag about how many millionaires it produces, our GTAA seems to lack in the fundraising department.
I would hope MBob has already been on the phone getting donations. A million or so to buy out CBG, and at least that much to bring in a great replacement.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Given how much Kelly Quinlan stands to lose (namely access to the program which is his livelihood), I find it hard to believe he would step out of line himself to say CBG is done. He was fed that info from someone.

The more likely scenario is the hat is being passed around behind the scenes until there's enough to finally make the call. We saw how much apathy in the program hurt us towards the end of the CPH era...and I don't think we can risk it with giving CBG more time...regardless of how good of a person and ambassador he is.

There are a handful of people close to this situation, and I know none of them have talked to Kelly. He's just putting this out there hoping he is right. He was wrong about the buyout number, which any valid source would have known. Think what you may of the AJC, but they have some journalistic accountability and they won't report this even if it's just attributing it to Kelly. That is telling.

Not to say a change won't happen, but a decision has not been made.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
This is the MAIN reason we can't afford to keep Gregory around. Recruiting under CBG hasn't been great. Neither has player development. Id rather take a shot on a new guy being better at both of these criteria, than giving Gregory another shot to screw it up and set us back tremendously. We're already last in the ACC... Nowhere to go but up from here. Unless we keep CBG and then... who knows what might occur.

Thought he developed D Miller a good bit.

Also, if DRad is to be criticized for CBG, then what about CPJ?

if we make a change we need to make a big change, not some inexperienced guy who happened to go to GT, or someone from a small school like App St.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
like we all agree but for his win loss record he could not represent gt anybetter !

why not keep him with gt in some capacity if he was interested????? i for one would be ecstatic to keep at gt in some capacity that filled a need.

just at thought.

bueller?

Damn good thought as well!

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Thought he developed D Miller a good bit.

Also, if DRad is to be criticized for CBG, then what about CPJ?

if we make a change we need to make a big change, not some inexperienced guy who happened to go to GT, or someone from a small school like App St.

1 guy has shown improvement. Some would call that the exception, not the rule.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Keeping him another year reduces the buyout by $1 million. And when doing numbers the cost of attendance stipend for SA on ships has to be factored into the numbers.

Bobinski really needs to find a few deep pockets from the Tech community and get a handout as in McCamish and the Brock Indoor facility. Enough to clean up all buyouts
and put the GTAA on a regular cash flow basis.

The damn school ought to pitch in!

They don't shy away when we give GT great pub from success in the athletic arena.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck

Kelly's correct. Gregory will be gone by the end of next week at the latest.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There are a handful of people close to this situation, and I know none of them have talked to Kelly. He's just putting this out there hoping he is right. He was wrong about the buyout number, which any valid source would have known. Think what you may of the AJC, but they have some journalistic accountability and they won't report this even if it's just attributing it to Kelly. That is telling.

Not to say a change won't happen, but a decision has not been made.

I have no horse in the information source race (outside of wanting to see our BBall team get back to the tournament on a consistent basis), but I find it hard to believe KQ would jeopardize his meal ticket over wanting to break news...news which isn't really that significant in the grand scheme of things to begin with. This is a guy that has to deal with CBG IF he is retained. I've always thought of KQ as the unofficial mouth piece of the athletic department...just my opinion, but he's not going to step out of line and jeopardize everything the athletic department gives him in terms of providing information and access for his site.

yellowRambler

Jolly Good Fellow
We EXTENDED him another TWO years last year, making his buyout even more, when his best season was below .500 and his best ACC season was 6-12. Really questioning Bobinski on this. No wonder they made his new contract details so private. You couldn't find any info on the new buyout until Ken did story. No way they fire him now.