CBG buyout = $2.4 million

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Still. I am not sure a school like GT should not give someone more than 3 1/2 years but,

with the contracts we throw around we should be able to get someone REALLY good!
@TheSilasSonRising Do you think we should give him 3 more years? Because that's what not removing him equates to.

Next year to close the 2016 recruiting class. 2016-2017 to coach the 2016 recruiting class. 2017-2018 to give him the mulligan for the fact the 2016 recruiting class were only Freshmen.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
@TheSilasSonRising Do you think we should give him 3 more years? Because that's what not removing him equates to.

Next year to close the 2016 recruiting class. 2016-2017 to coach the 2016 recruiting class. 2017-2018 to give him the mulligan for the fact the 2016 recruiting class were only Freshmen.
This is the MAIN reason we can't afford to keep Gregory around. Recruiting under CBG hasn't been great. Neither has player development. Id rather take a shot on a new guy being better at both of these criteria, than giving Gregory another shot to screw it up and set us back tremendously. We're already last in the ACC... Nowhere to go but up from here. Unless we keep CBG and then... who knows what might occur.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure that these buyout numbers are correct either. The extension I thought was going to add 650k as the buyout. I remember calling one of the asst ADs and asking what in the world they were doing offering an extension. He said it was "good faith" and that he saw us in the tournament next year(which is now this year and we are not in the tournament). I asked how in the world we would do that with our roster-he said transfer ins would be how. Well, we see how that went. I hope it is only 650k bc if it is the amount reported above due to the extension, I will be furious. Even the 650k bothers me.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
First of all, these buyouts in general are absolutely ridiculous on both sides. Could you imagine not performing at your job and getting paid for three years?

But it is what it is...

What about this part:

"Provisions allowing the ASSOCIATION to terminate your employment without “good cause” that would require the following payment to you based on a percentage..."

Is firing a coach for going 19-51 over four years not good cause?

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
like we all agree but for his win loss record he could not represent gt anybetter !

why not keep him with gt in some capacity if he was interested????? i for one would be ecstatic to keep at gt in some capacity that filled a need.

just at thought.

bueller?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Is firing a coach for going 19-51 over four years not good cause?

I think we all agree with you. However, how would it go over in the coaching community for GT to be the first/only institute to try to fire a coach and not pay the buyout we agreed on? IOW we'd have to take turns as fans coaching the team most likely.

Granted our w/l record may be quite similar to BG's but still, it's not a good look.

Lastly, @dtm1997 is single-handedly making my ajc hatred worse. These Schultz articles make him sound more like Col. Klink, "I know nothing".

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
like we all agree but for his win loss record he could not represent gt anybetter !

why not keep him with gt in some capacity if he was interested????? i for one would be ecstatic to keep at gt in some capacity that filled a need.

just at thought.

bueller?
I would not be opposed to him becoming an overpaid administrator within the GTAA. Maybe reduce the annual salary & extend the contract, but as an ADMINISTRATOR.

No way I see it happening in real life, but I wouldn't be opposed to it.

ETA: I would put him in charge of something that helps student-athletes cover academics & professional development. I think he'd be phenomenal.

Last edited:

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Keeping him another year reduces the buyout by $1 million. And when doing numbers the cost of attendance stipend for SA on ships has to be factored into the numbers.

Bobinski really needs to find a few deep pockets from the Tech community and get a handout as in McCamish and the Brock Indoor facility. Enough to clean up all buyouts
and put the GTAA on a regular cash flow basis.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Schulz just dropped another article

I hope I am wrong, but I am starting to get the sense that the GTAA is leaking some info to the AJC that we don't have the financials to make the move and the AJC is trying to prepare the fan base for the news.

I don't understand the logic regarding our potential coaching candidates. Schultz says:
" If he chooses to fire Gregory, he’ll likely have two options for a replacement: • Another coach, like Gregory, from a mid-major with a modest resume who seems on the verge of wearing out his welcome and figures it’s a good time to exit. Wash, rinse, repeat. Sought-after mid-major coaches don’t automatically leave any more. Look to VCU, Gonzaga and Wichita State for evidence. It took the Boston Celtics’ job for Brad Stevens to leave Butler.• An assistant coach looking for his first head coaching job."

Why are those our only choices? How about a mid-major coach with a solid, but short resume. A guy that is not "modest and on the verge of wearing out his welcome," but instead just young and promising. Guys like Mike White, Steve Prohm, and Brad Underwood fit that description, but neither of Schultz's narrow categories. It is possible that Schultz would put those guys in the category of "sought after mid-major coaches that won't leave their program," but these guys aren't like Brad Stevens, Shaka Smart, and Greg Marshall, and have not yet made a final four or had an undefeated season. They seem like reasonable, exciting options to me of coaches we might get.

There is also always the possibility of getting a guy outside those categories in unique circumstances like Ben Howland.

We will soon find out!

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Keeping him another year reduces the buyout by $1 million. And when doing numbers the cost of attendance stipend for SA on ships has to be factored into the numbers.

Bobinski really needs to find a few deep pockets from the Tech community and get a handout as in McCamish and the Brock Indoor facility. Enough to clean up all buyouts
and put the GTAA on a regular cash flow basis.

I agree. Stracci, Tattaglia, Barzini, Cuneo, Gregory, Hewitt, Moe Green...settle all family business

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
I would not be opposed to him becoming an overpaid administrator within the GTAA. Maybe reduce the annual salary & extend the contract, but as an ADMINISTRATOR.

No way I see it happening in real life, but I wouldn't be opposed to it.

ETA: I would put him in charge of something that helps student-athletes cover academics & professional development. I think he'd be phenomenal.

EGGSACTLY my thoughts !

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Without a doubt, the situation seems bleak at the moment. Sounds like we need to start scouring the local high schools and junior colleges for our next coach. If we are paying $1.9 million next season to two guys who no longer coach here as the article seems to indicate, then I'm not sure how we would be able to pony up enough money to find a good replacement.

Even paying someone the same salary as Gregory presently receives, that would mean that we are paying $2.9 million for the head coaching job next season. According to what I found online, that would rank our head guy as the # 8 highest paid NCAAB coach in the land. In other words, I am beginning to think that we are "F'd" here. Assuming that this is all true, I would have to seriously consider bringing him back for another season.

I agree that it is not what is best for the program in the long run, but unless Bobinski has some major "in's" and finds the next great assistant, the chances of landing back in this very same spot (or worse) four years from now is very real IMO.

slugboy

Staff member
You would think that the AJC had checked their info and had reliable sources, so this looks like there is more than a fair chance that this is true and it's a $2.4M buyout.

On the other hand, there's been (a) leaked statements that a decision has been made, one way or the other and (b) nothing has been announced yet, and (c) nothing would be said until sometime after MBob gets back from Greensboro. If Gregory is staying, you would think that MBob would say "he's our coach next year" fast enough to help any recruiting going on.

The absence of a statement sounds like, $2.4M or $650k or something else, he's gone.