Cannot believe how bad this offense looked in 2009

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
As I read about finding another "JT type" QB, I keep thinking that some people are writing off MJ. If Byerly hadn't transferred in a couple years ago, MJ would have been the backup and seen snaps this season. I think he's a perfect QB for our offense. Tracy Ham wasn't a "jitterbug" juker type. Tommy Frazier, either. One cut, turn it up field guys. They were decent. JT is special. MJ and others can be as successful at GT from a W/L standpoint, though.
Tommy Frazier was one of the most prolific option qb's of all time. JT has some catching up to do to be in his league.

I agr

I agree. Yes, you can say stuff like that and still be a fan of the former players. I love Nesbitt and company too and will always respect what they did for us, but I am under no illusions believing that was our pinnacle. We were a program in transition back then. We had talented kids running a strange system and had a safety playing QB for us. He had the heart of a lion, but let's be honest. Actually, I think our execution on offense has steadily grown over the years (2013 is exception). TW took it (execution) to another level after JN and JT has done the same. The cool part is, JT runs it better, but he is also a way quicker and faster kid too. The passing thing helps a bunch as well. JT can throw accurately on the run and that is a huge plus when compared to his predecessors.

Do you think Bud Foster is thinking of us even now? I do.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Tommy Frazier was one of the most prolific option qb's of all time. JT has some catching up to do to be in his league.

My "decent" comment was sarcasm. I mentioned two of the best option QBs, while comparing their running styles to MJ's. Of course they were decent. They were incredible. I didn't imply that JT was at their level, either. But he is most definitely special.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Tommy Frazier was very good. Different time, different league, pretty good coach and supporting cast. Don't sell Justin Thomas short. The last half of last season was pretty damn strong.
More than pretty strong, I thought. And when his blocking broke down, and it did more than we acknowledge, he made things happen anyway. He may not be Frazier. Yet.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
As I read about finding another "JT type" QB, I keep thinking that some people are writing off MJ. If Byerly hadn't transferred in a couple years ago, MJ would have been the backup and seen snaps this season. I think he's a perfect QB for our offense. Tracy Ham wasn't a "jitterbug" juker type. Tommy Frazier, either. One cut, turn it up field guys. They were decent. JT is special. MJ and others can be as successful at GT from a W/L standpoint, though.
In no way shape or form am I writing off MJ. He is a freshman for crying out loud. What do people expect? He needs time just like JT did. All I can say is that he didn't look ready in a fall scrimmage, which represents the only direct observation I had of him. It doesn't mean much. I am sure he is working hard. Competition is a wonderful thing.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
In no way shape or form am I writing off MJ. He is a freshman for crying out loud. What do people expect? He needs time just like JT did. All I can say is that he didn't look ready in a fall scrimmage, which represents the only direct observation I had of him. It doesn't mean much. I am sure he is working hard. Competition is a wonderful thing.

Agreed 100%. I wasn't even referring to anyone in particular as writing him off. I agree that he wasn't ready. But I have hopes he can be the starter post-JT.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Agreed 100%. I wasn't even referring to anyone in particular as writing him off. I agree that he wasn't ready. But I have hopes he can be the starter post-JT.
I just re-read my post and it sounded defensive. I wasn't worried about you refering to me at all. I was just chiming in on where I thought the thread was headed. No problem bro. I don't care who is the starter, post JT. I really don't have a favorite. I just hope there won't be a letdown. There will have to be a bit of a style change. That is inevitable.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck

I hope some people do doubt MJ....

That's what he likes and feeds on.
That all he heard when he changed high school's is that couldn't play 5A, wasn't big enough or fast enough.
It just pushes him harder.