Cannot believe how bad this offense looked in 2009

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
Title says it all. I re-watched the GT-VT game from 2009 last night. Wow. Sloppy penalties, poor pitch decisions, terrible rainbow pass attempts, and lastly- slow, lumbering execution.

Maybe this was a poor example, perhaps due to VT's defense. Maybe not. I still am scratching my head over how we won the ACC that year.

It's funny because I didn't remember the offense looking poor in 2009.

Regardless, I have never been more proud of our offense than in 2014. I seriously underestimated JT's arm. He is a fabulous passer compared to Nesbitt. Our execution speed is like light-speed compared to the 2009 team.

The conclusion is clear. JT(and the O line, and the A and B backs, and the WRs) have ruined my ability to watch old games. I just can't enjoy them after seeing the 2014 team.

Seriously folks, go back and watch that game. It's a night and day difference, and that is with one of our best offenses in recent times.

To be clear - I sincerely respect every current and former GT player, and this thread is not meant to put anyone down. It's more that the 2014 offense looked so good(particularly late in the season) that no prior example can compare.

Last edited:

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
VT was our worst offensive performance of that season iirc. Rewatch the FSU game that year and report back. False starts though....yikes that year was bad.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agr
Title says it all. I re-watched the GT-VT game from 2009 last night. Wow. Sloppy penalties, poor pitch decisions, terrible rainbow pass attempts, and lastly- slow, lumbering execution.

Maybe this was a poor example, perhaps due to VT's defense. Maybe not. I still am scratching my head over how we won the ACC that year.

Regardless, I have never been more proud of our offense than in 2014. I seriously underestimated JT's arm. He is a fabulous passer compared to Nesbitt. Our execution speed is like light-speed compared to the 2009 team.

The conclusion is clear. JT(and the O line, and the A and B backs, and the WRs) have ruined my ability to watch old games. I just can't enjoy them after seeing the 2014 team.

Seriously folks, go back and watch that game. It's a night and day difference, and that is with one of our best offenses in recent times.

To be clear - I sincerely respect every current and former GT player, and this thread is not meant to put anyone down. It's more that the 2014 offense looked so good(particularly late in the season) that no prior example can compare.
I agree. Yes, you can say stuff like that and still be a fan of the former players. I love Nesbitt and company too and will always respect what they did for us, but I am under no illusions believing that was our pinnacle. We were a program in transition back then. We had talented kids running a strange system and had a safety playing QB for us. He had the heart of a lion, but let's be honest. Actually, I think our execution on offense has steadily grown over the years (2013 is exception). TW took it (execution) to another level after JN and JT has done the same. The cool part is, JT runs it better, but he is also a way quicker and faster kid too. The passing thing helps a bunch as well. JT can throw accurately on the run and that is a huge plus when compared to his predecessors.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
I agr

I agree. Yes, you can say stuff like that and still be a fan of the former players. I love Nesbitt and company too and will always respect what they did for us, but I am under no illusions believing that was our pinnacle. We were a program in transition back then. We had talented kids running a strange system and had a safety playing QB for us. He had the heart of a lion, but let's be honest. Actually, I think our execution on offense has steadily grown over the years (2013 is exception). TW took it (execution) to another level after JN and JT has done the same. The cool part is, JT runs it better, but he is also a way quicker and faster kid too. The passing thing helps a bunch as well. JT can throw accurately on the run and that is a huge plus when compared to his predecessors.
Let's hope that trend continues.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Different style, I think. The 2009 team was a true smash football team. When you have backs like Dwyer and Allen and your QB would be playing FB for most teams, trying to finesse the other side would be a waste of time. If - but Heaven forfend! - JT were to go down for awhile next year and Tim took over, it would be 2009 redux, albeit with someone who is really good at reads. Both styles are successful, I think, but I like the 2014 look much better.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Johnson said in an interview in 2009 the OL was nowhere near where it needed to be. He said we had some skill guys who were off the charts who carried the offense.

IMO last year the OL was where it needed to be or close to it. Then add Thomas and a workmanlike effort on the perimeter along with two match up problem WRs and there ya go.

Great news is the line looks really good for next year and from what I hear we have a lot of promising young guys too.

PJ said in 2010 or 2011 he wanted to run two OLs like Dr Tom Osbourne did at Nebraska. We may actually be able to do this if we keep bringing in the Griffin, Burden, Braun, Chamberlain Devine types.

Fun offense for OL that is for sure....get to knock the piss out of people and mess with their minds on suprise pass plays.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Also a quick add....our pass pro was by far the best it has ever been. Several times we gave Thomas time in obvious passing downs.

Of course opposing Ds also have to have controlled rush with a spy on Thomas or he will make you pay for your insolence! Still though we did protect very well.

Big shout out to Zach Laskey for his improvement in pass pro and Days was good there as well.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
By coincidence, I watched the 2008 uga game on Youtube last night. I thought the same thing about the execution. It sucked. We won on athletic ability, and the fact that the TO was then new to most of our opponents and they had no idea how to defend it.

Watch an early TO game and then watch last year's games. That is all the proof you need on what we are doing on recruiting, player development, and coaching. And I think we are just getting started.

PS - I am glad I don't have the 2010 Kansas game on tape. It was SuperBad.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
A HS coach on another site says we will now get HS QBs that will want to come here because JT has shown them what you can do as a QB in this offense, hope he is right. Build a top 25 defense to go with it and look out NC, here we come!!!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Don't have it but as I recall that great year, even with Dwyer and Thomas, when Johnson had to have, absolutely had to have, yards, Nesbitt ran mostly the mid-line option.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
PS - I am glad I don't have the 2010 Kansas game on tape. It was SuperBad.
Oth, the 2011 Kansas game was the most fun I've ever had at Grant Field in all my years of attending. See:

It was as Peebles said, "When we're clicking it's like watching a video game." And sure enough. We could have beaten anybody that day.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

First gt game for wife - lots of TV defeats - but what a first game. Loved how we all did yellow - jackets during the long replay review of final gt TD. Also loved how the band kept playing rambling rambling wreck on a loop while the goal posts came down.

The talent was better on this team but the offense was much better in 2014.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Oth, the 2011 Kansas game was the most fun I've ever had at Grant Field in all my years of attending. See:

It was as Peebles said, "When we're clicking it's like watching a video game." And sure enough. We could have beaten anybody that day.

This is what I envision our offense looking like in the future with the OL and skill guys we're starting to bring in...except against any opponent. That Kansas team was not very good. This offense has so many layers, that when everything is clicking, it's dizzying to an opponent. Players have said that when we are executing like we should, they can see the defenders just give up hope. Guys are just running all over the field at will and the defense is never in the right place at the right time. We have rarely been a team to "out athlete" many other teams. We've relied more on execution and good schemes. You add talent into that mix, and you get the shredding of defenses like that Kansas game.

Our last four games of 2014 against Clemson/UGA/FSU/MSU was probably one of the most difficult stretches GT has ever played. You're talking about teams with defenses that are loaded with future NFL players. The offense maybe had a handful of guys that will spend some time in the NFL (Smelter, JeT, Mason...maybe Waller), and at times we executed at will against those teams.

I think what the 2009 game against VT and the Kansas game illustrated about this offense is that it can kill you quickly, or it can slowly choke you to death. Our offense in 2009 was our best defense. I've read that opposing coaches hate having to defend us, but they have nightmares about the day they have to defend this offense when it's loaded with high end talent. Well, opposing coaches better get used to having nightmares the week they play us.